Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

m50 to s50 conversion

hey im planning to put a s50b30 into my 325 coupe i have a few questions, first off i have a getrag 220 and a 318 clutch was has been modified by auto clutch which is currently in the car i need to know if the gearbox and clutch can handle the power. secondly i need to know what parts i need to complete if there is something i have missed i have all the wiring and ecu for the motor and the engine is a complete setup

i know i need

.fuel pump

.exhaust

.instrument cluster

if anyone has a m3 exhaust and a cost please pm me

any help much appreciated, thanks

Ask the people who made the clutch setup if it can hold the torque that an s50 produces

Kayne Barrie would be the guy to ask if the gearbox will hold. I'd assume it would for long enough

I've got some m3 headers I could sell for the right money

good luck

Do you know the chassis number of the car you got the S50 from ?? do you have the EWS module and a key from that car that goes with the DME ?

Has it not been discussed it's probably easier to just buy an M3?

Converting the engine is one thing.

But the entire suspension setup is of a different specification, right down to the brakes, and rear sub-frame along with the reinforced sub-frame plate.

I know this as I went down that path, it's time consuming and costly.

However if you have the means and desire to do so it is quite rewarding to understand all the components and how it fits together rather than just buying already done.

The clutch setup depends on what spring rating they wound it up too. Normally Autoclutch mark it on the pressure plate. Anything above 2000ft pound is fine.

Gearbox should be find to handle it if your not abusing it.

What year is your car ? there are a few differences in the years of m3 and e36s wiring wise.

EWS isnt too difficult to sort out. Its really easy however if you get the Key, EWS and DME from the same car. Then you dont have to make it up and do witch craft to get it going :)

hey thanks for the info i have the headers alone with everything else its as far as i can see its a straight drop in this is the non evo engine without ews. i have recently swap a s50b30 with a s50b32 hence my possession of the 3l the ews delete was a b***** but its all running now. and as for the gearbox if its stuff after a month then its not worth putting it in, if it last longer then i wont mind, ill just put a zf in, the invoice i got with the clutch says the clamp is now 2210lb and 1190lb before.

did you get the carbon kevlar linnings on the clutch disc or just std.

if not just take the clutch back in for some new linnings

i think if you dont abuse the gearbox it should be fine

mine is ok in my 328i with the super charger after almost 2 years and 20,000km etc.

fuel pumps are the same between 316i and 3l m3

only the 3.2L m3 engine uses a bigger fuel pump

m3 cluster is not needed.

a matching m3 exhaust will need to brought or modify the 325i one to suit

you will need all the coolant hoses and tanks etc to match the m3 engine as well.

your large size jap import 325i radiator shoudl be ok to use.

does the m3 engine come with the oil cooler and lines??

did you get the carbon kevlar linnings on the clutch disc or just std.

if not just take the clutch back in for some new linnings

i think if you dont abuse the gearbox it should be fine

mine is ok in my 328i with the super charger after almost 2 years and 20,000km etc.

fuel pumps are the same between 316i and 3l m3

only the 3.2L m3 engine uses a bigger fuel pump

m3 cluster is not needed.

a matching m3 exhaust will need to brought or modify the 325i one to suit

you will need all the coolant hoses and tanks etc to match the m3 engine as well.

your large size jap import 325i radiator shoudl be ok to use.

does the m3 engine come with the oil cooler and lines??

yes i did get the carbon pads do you think it will be ok so if i buy a 316i fuel pump it will suit i have the coolant hoses will i need to change the coolant tank to the one buy the fuse box or can i keep my tank that is on the side of the current radiator. also how much is a m3 exhaust there are a couple of aftermarket one to fit non m3 am i better off to modify one or buy a standard one thanks for the help

yes oil lines and cooler intact. why would i not need the m3 cluster as the revs are higher and instead of vacuum there is oil temp

Edited by ibboostn

yes i did get the carbon pads do you think it will be ok so if i buy a 316i fuel pump it will suit i have the coolant hoses will i need to change the coolant tank to the one buy the fuse box or can i keep my tank that is on the side of the current radiator. also how much is a m3 exhaust there are a couple of aftermarket one to fit non m3 am i better off to modify one or buy a standard one thanks for the help

yes oil lines and cooler intact. why would i not need the m3 cluster as the revs are higher and instead of vacuum there is oil temp

316i 318i 320i 323i 325i 328i and m3 all use the same fuel pump.

your drivers side tank will be touching the head of the engine.

so you will need to put another one somewhere else the e36 m3 one is the same as a 1988-1990 e30 325i type

just get what ever m3 exhaust you can buy or afford etc

316i 318i 320i 323i 325i 328i and m3 all use the same fuel pump.

your drivers side tank will be touching the head of the engine.

so you will need to put another one somewhere else the e36 m3 one is the same as a 1988-1990 e30 325i type

just get what ever m3 exhaust you can buy or afford etc

if your talking about the coolant tank i have the correct one i just might have to make something to hold it in place

Yeah best option is the M3 coolant tank.

Although you would need to make up a bracket as I didn't have any luck getting RHD brackets for mine, I ended up using one of the LHS brackets and modifying it.

Yeah best option is the M3 coolant tank.

Although you would need to make up a bracket as I didn't have any luck getting RHD brackets for mine, I ended up using one of the LHS brackets and modifying it.

yeah i think ill just rig something up haha

The e36 m3 external expansion tank is the best option as others say. Its a lot better than aftermarket designs even if its made from nylon.

another big must do is keeping the expansion chamber on-level or better still above the radiator.

The e36 m3 external expansion tank is the best option as others say. Its a lot better than aftermarket designs even if its made from nylon.

another big must do is keeping the expansion chamber on-level or better still above the radiator.

i plan to mount it as close to the factory position as possible shouldnt be to hard i have a m3 to copy from its all the factory parts as well

also are the 318 flywheel gear pitch match the s50 starter

also are the 318 flywheel gear pitch match the s50 starter

all m43 , m42 , m44 , m50 m52 m54 etc use the same etc

buy this and make it a m3 again.

engine was taken out for a e30 or e36 race car a few years back . ernst at baverian did the work

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-551650558.htm

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=43156&hl=

all m43 , m42 , m44 , m50 m52 m54 etc use the same etc

ohk good too know so you thing that the clutch and gearbox will handle the power and please tell me why i dont have to use the m3 cluster will i get oil temp reading on the vacuum gauge and if the redline is higher aswell ?

ohk good too know so you thing that the clutch and gearbox will handle the power and please tell me why i dont have to use the m3 cluster will i get oil temp reading on the vacuum gauge and if the redline is higher aswell ?

just fit a oil temp gauge somewhere else if you want one.

check with auto clutch if it will handle the 286hp and 300 odd Nm etc

gearbox should be fine just no big skids and drifting and stupid gear changes etc