Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Your thoughts on the new WOF rules.

Lame, I won't be owning a new car anytime soon, nor will this provide any extra incentive to purchase one.

depreciation of $10-20-30k in one year or a 20 minute detour to VTNZ?

no incentive here either

Having moved up from Christchurch to Auckland, I am stunned at the difference. So many Auckland drivers don't indicate (even when changing lanes in front of other cars), they don't stick to their correct lane when going round corners, and they're inconsiderate assholes when merging.

I have to agree that Auckland drivers are terrible ( having lived up here for 13 years), however.......

Chch drivers are just as bad! I am down there once a month on business and I can say exactly the same things you have mentioned apply down there. Oh.... and they seem to think they have to race everyone. :D

I've been overseas recently anyone have a link to the new rules?

I've been overseas recently anyone have a link to the new rules?

new cars no wof checks for three years 3=13 yrs annual wof check-13+ every 6 months.Its fine by meEben most 13 yr old cars are stillin good nick these days.....the older ones will have checks every 6 months like now.Thr 13 year thing is actually cars 1st registered before 2000 or similar

The new car 3 year check is questionable to me..

My work car is a 2008 Corolla, used as a fleet vehicle for a company, it had done nearly 300,000kms by the end of the 3rd year, yet becuase of the age it would have been exempt from having a WOF during that time when a lot of things could go wrong over that time.

Ok, it would have been maintained as its a fleet vehicle but its another matter if it was a privately owned high mileage new car where the owner was lackluster with their checks.

Don't underestimate how little attention some people give their cars!

Last week I pulled up to a relatively new Audi Q7 (would be 2010 at least with DRLs) at the traffic lights and wa hirrified to see that the tyre was so bald the white thread was clearly visible...

^^ This is where the whole idea falls over. Most people on bimmersport will maintain (or get maintained) their vehicle to a very high standard its a Car Forum afterall.

Joe Average Punter though is not in that category and varies from the stickler to the stick it in for a WoF and see what fails to the don't give a Sh!t brigade. Try counting the number of cars with headlights that are not up to WoF standard when driving on NZ roads a night - an amazingly high number, some of which are trivial, but some are safety risks.

If people can't even notice and rectify issues with simple things like lights, how are they going to have a clue about things like brakes, tyres and suspension which can really make a differnce to the safety of the car.

Unfortunately, putting the responsibility onto the driver is a great idea in theory... but a whole different ball game in practice.

^^^^^^^^ YUP!

Edit. And as it happens - we have a couple of cars that could easily fit safely in the 12 month WOF but don't - the E39 that is a 99 car & well maintained & the E12 similary maintained & does less than 2k a year.

Edited by hotwire

Well that's when cops fine you for bald tires, lights problems, etc (visible stuff) The problem is though they never seem to look at vehicles like in above example (Audi Q7). If a person is jumping out of a plane with a parachute, would he jump without knowing if its any good?? Probably not, so if people want to kill themselves in cars that are not looked after then there is a bigger problem than wof periods