Sign in to follow this  
dubman

e30 Cert check

My e30 m40 turbo just went for a cert check today, 6 things got picked up, and two of them were clearance issues caused by sotck engine mount (already sagged in 300km's of travel from new)

Can anyone recommend a custom solid (metal) engine mount fabricator in Auckland?

Also FYI on two other things:

- 2 driveshaft hoop / loop is required, as centre hanger bearing doesn't count

- Provide wheel alignment report to prove camber specs are within limits (even not that low)

All ears on recommendation for engine mount, want to resolve ASAP

Thanks!

My e30 m40 turbo just went for a cert check today, 6 things got picked up, and two of them were clearance issues caused by sotck engine mount (already sagged in 300km's of travel from new)

Can anyone recommend a custom solid (metal) engine mount fabricator in Auckland?

Also FYI on two other things:

- 2 driveshaft hoop / loop is required, as centre hanger bearing doesn't count

- Provide wheel alignment report to prove camber specs are within limits (even not that low)

All ears on recommendation for engine mount, want to resolve ASAP

Thanks!

The mounts are extremely easy to make. Can go with alloy? And machine shop could knock these out for you, Los can make from different materials similar to nylon etc. Milford plastics sell the items. Have a look online, and different materials availiable and make a sound decision on what material you would want to use.

heh... sucks about the driveshaft loop. I got away with just one :)

The mounts are extremely easy to make. Can go with alloy? And machine shop could knock these out for you, Los can make from different materials similar to nylon etc. Milford plastics sell the items.

Can you expand a bit for Milford plastics? Nothing on google haha

Will ring engineerig shops etc for a quote for alloy material (just needs a through bolt for mount)

heh... sucks about the driveshaft loop. I got away with just one :)

Yup, certifier was like "excessive ..... but yea".

Drive shaft loops have to be front and rear and of caged type .. EG not allowed to just weld a bar across the trans tunnel.

This is all pretty standard stuff and well within the rules.

Atleast you didnt get it all done then went for a cert and the rules changed that week, which is what happened to me :) also I got a ticket at a warrent and rego check on the way there.

If your not matey with a fabricator, then go some where like pitstop on the shore .. they do this sort of stuff and for good prices too.

Have a look at the Low Volume website too for some good reading when building modified cars, saves (most of the time) the certifier rolling his eyes at another person who hasnt done the homework turning up for a check.

Cheers Josh.

Wishfull thinking CSB would suffice haha

Cert was with Pitstop grey lynns assistance, so will ask them for pointers when I pikcup car 2moro

Stock rubber mount got all saggy, dropped drivers side and closed up the previous clearance. Prob from the heat but solid might be the way to go

How about Delrin 90d AKG bushes?

How about Delrin 90d AKG bushes?

i'll do some more research etc and make a livable decision (still daily it haha)

but, plan atm is talk to autoalign and get them to make some urethane ones with increase of 5-8mm height, then heat shield it

i'll do some more research etc and make a livable decision (still daily it haha)

but, plan atm is talk to autoalign and get them to make some urethane ones with increase of 5-8mm height, then heat shield it

Hey,

Sorry late reply..

It's Mulford plastics. Have a look On the net.. It's good.

Not a big job to do.

Any sort of solid or close to solid mount will be sh*t for daily driving

Any sort of solid or close to solid mount will be sh*t for daily driving

Yeah you don't want that.

I've got 80 shore Nolathane bushings front and rear of the engine, it's probably a little harsh, but theres enough give so it's not that bad.

Solid mounts would be another matter. Ew!

Edited by Michael.

If you decide to use AKG bushes let me know, I'm considering going back to standard rubber ones.

the sagged engine mount pretty much made the engine solid mounted as it laid on the steering fluid line, and yes, idling was terrible. I slipped a 1cm nut in there just for clearance and relieve the stress, and as you can see, a nice little ding on the pipe, but no leaking or pierce lines (there goes a few hp's)

post-5113-1361605117.jpg

post-5113-1361605134.jpg

can someone enlighten me what "through-bolt" really means? 1st i thought a bolt that goes right through the entire mount rubber to the other side (i.e through and through), then upon further reading, i thought it can't be, because my mounting studs are offset, hence, "through-bolt" would be a bolt that goes deep into the mounting material, so it cant completely detach if shearing occurs from the metal plate, unlike OEM m40 ones (LVV guidelines)

If i go for urethane material, i would still like a heat shield cup for it, but i'll think about it a little bit more. Roughness of ride not really important, as clearance and longevity of the mount is more so.

thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Edited by dubman

Hey William....dont want to be a bore but I think you will really regret stiff engine mounts..they can make the ride unbearably uncomfortable imo

Go OEM or mild urethane(haha) & shield it as you have said

not at all Mark, good to hear what others say. :)

i'm just going by certifiers comments and recommendation, still got to ring around a few places and ask. I would still like the mounts to be heightened by 10mm, but alot of the "off the self" products probably won't have enough threads left to bolt to the mount arm safely. drivers side is alot heavier, so still got to factor in the weight each mount takes. Just thinking out aloud haha

not sure if they will fit, but E28 mounts are about 10-15mm longer than E30 ones.. may be worth a try

update on this; mounts made up by TTT auto's, within specs certifier was happy with.

yes, I know its going to be rough etc. but i don't have to worry about longevity of the material, and its not far off the comfort of "soft" urethane (hopefully LOL). Will update my project thread once cert plate comes :)

post-5113-1362725566.jpg