Sign in to follow this  
splitpin

BMW virgin

Hello there folks , just found you today and joined straight away.

It was a little odd having to admit that my "most used" car (on the registration page) was the dear old toyota .... but there you are , faithful old 280,000k , 5 shades of red trooper.

Anyway , My name is Marty ... Im 54 , i live in Christchurch , and work for a project management company .... in the redzone .

The reason for joining you is my recent purchase (cheap... and now i know why :unsure: ) of a 98 525i.

Looking forward to being part of the forum.

Regards

Marty

Welcome to the forum Marty and enjoy could you put up some photos of your ride a standard request. Nothing wrong with a 5er that a bit of elbow grease and a few dollars won't, can't fix chuckle chuckle.

Splitpin from NZFF? If so welcome! If not, welcome anyway! +1 on the pics, everybody loves pics!

Welcome to the forum Marty and enjoy could you put up some photos of your ride a standard request. Nothing wrong with a 5er that a bit of elbow grease and a few dollars won't, can't fix chuckle chuckle.

Will do Allan .....

Splitpin from NZFF? If so welcome! If not, welcome anyway! +1 on the pics, everybody loves pics!

Yes .... its me , what are you doing here.....oh, i think i know ..... dur.

Yes .... its me , what are you doing here.....oh, i think i know ..... dur.

I've had a few beemers... best cars I've ever driven. Current one is stuffed though... for now.

an e39 525i may not be a rocket but it still a good cruiser and a nice car in its own right. make sure you spend your money on what counts and not on useless stupid mods first. those can come later :)

plenty of good people on this forum for any problems you may have (hope you wont have any!)

welcome and post pics when you get a chance.

Ah, another mature owner! great to see, welcome to a very good forum.

Welcome Marty. Don't be disheartened by what you read about E39s on the web. They are one of the all time great cars and with a bit of TLC will doubtless provide you with years of happy (and luxurious) motoring.

I love mine and I have spend far too much money it but it is the by far the best car I've ever owned and stands up brilliantly against most new vehicles in looks and performance.

Pics would be good - E39s are things of beauty!

Edited by jeffbebe

make sure you spend your money on what counts and not on useless stupid mods first. those can come later :)

WHAT? judging from what I've seen (on trademe etc) big wheels and stupid/UGLY taillights, cone filters etc are FAR more important than cooling systems, brakes, suspension and things that actually help the car perform as it should (or better even).

My sister had a 525i (which is actually really a 523i with a different badge for the Japanese market) and it certainly wasn't a rocket ship, but they do go well - certainly no slug.

I think people think they're gutless because the 530i and 540i etc obviously go so well, but they aren't. You could argue that the 540i is gutless compared to an M5 too :blink:

Allan from Whangarei who said large wheels and cone filters can't be fun

post-1581-1365807346.jpg

allan Foxton :lol: :lol:

Thanks very much for the welcome guys ...Ive learnt so much in the past 24hrs , i had to digest it all .

Thanks again.

About to post some pics .

WHAT? judging from what I've seen (on trademe etc) big wheels and stupid/UGLY taillights, cone filters etc are FAR more important than cooling systems, brakes, suspension and things that actually help the car perform as it should (or better even).

My sister had a 525i (which is actually really a 523i with a different badge for the Japanese market) and it certainly wasn't a rocket ship, but they do go well - certainly no slug.

I think people think they're gutless because the 530i and 540i etc obviously go so well, but they aren't. You could argue that the 540i is gutless compared to an M5 too :blink:

Agree entirely, 525i (Jap badging for 523i) is no rocket ship but still no slug - as people often alert to them being.

520i is realitively but then not everyone needs or aspires to drive a 540i.

That said, doesn't mean I wouldn't want a mint 540i or even better - M5