Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

F31 320i vs E39 528i

So... We have to give the F31 320i touring back tomorrow and I have to say I will be very sad to see it go. What an amazing car. As promised here are a few pics of it and I thought I'd see how it stacks up against my E39. Have to say, for all the F31's incredible gadgets, economy, twin turbo engine (the list is long), I reckon my E39 still looks - and drives - pretty well against the new car. She might cost 3 times as much in petrol and a small fortune in (loving) maintenance but my E39 is still an absolute pleasure to drive. How good are BMW that a 17 year old car stands up so well to a brand new one! I guess an HUD upgrade for the E39 is out of the question?! haha

That said, the F30 is brilliant and if there was any way we could keep it, we would, but the pictures say it best.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jeffbebe

Mint cars and photography! As said before, massive fan of your e39.

Tidiest e39.. Hands down so immaculate! Hard to believe its a 96' looks like a 03'

The E39 was quite special when it come out, back when you could see why they cost so much and could feel the advanced engineering, I remember driving one for the first time, was new grounds in large car dynamics.

The new product just leaves me feeling cold, nothing clever, nothing new, nothing special, nothing that would see me buying one over a Mazda costing half as much.

The E39 was quite special when it come out, back when you could see why they cost so much and could feel the advanced engineering, I remember driving one for the first time, was new grounds in large car dynamics.

The new product just leaves me feeling cold, nothing clever, nothing new, nothing special, nothing that would see me buying one over a Mazda costing half as much.

Totally agree re: the E39. Long before I owned one I drove one and have had an ambition to own an E39 M5 ever since. The 528's an amazing vehicle too, so very happy with my stop gap. That said, I can't be too hard on the F30. We've got a newish Mazda 6 wagon which I guess is a comparable vehicle in terms of size and performance - although it is a few years old now - but the two cars are lightyears apart.

The new Mazda 6 clearly takes a few design cues from the F31 but there's a solidity to the F31 that makes it stand out. The materials used inside and out feel really special, the performance from a small engine is nothing short of sensational and the economy setting makes it ridiculously cheap to run. Sadly, I just don't have the means to buy a $100K car (there are cheaper versions but the options make this car).

It has been an absolute pleasure to drive though I don't doubt you can get better bang for your buck elsewhere. I don't think new bimmers are for folks with shallow pockets. Having said that if I was in the market for a brand new Mazda 6 wagon, I'd much rather wait a year or two and buy a used F31 for the same money.

Edited by jeffbebe

Its entirely possible we have different expectations but I didn't think the materials in the new F30 were anything special at all, could have been the spec, we drove the "edition 30" version what ever that is, was very meh, I was disappointed. One thing that shocked me was the size, physically its bigger than a E39. Another shock was that the back seat room is still very average.

New engine was good, not as powerful or as fast as my current 2.0 Turbo but just as flexible, with a manual transmission, a LSD and a remap there is potential there.

Interesting comparison with the old E39, great photo's too, thanks for sharing something different!

Its entirely possible we have different expectations but I didn't think the materials in the new F30 were anything special at all, could have been the spec, we drove the "edition 30" version what ever that is, was very meh, I was disappointed. One thing that shocked me was the size, physically its bigger than a E39. Another shock was that the back seat room is still very average.

New engine was good, not as powerful or as fast as my current 2.0 Turbo but just as flexible, with a manual transmission, a LSD and a remap there is potential there.

Interesting comparison with the old E39, great photo's too, thanks for sharing something different!

When I had an F30 320d sedan last year I felt exactly the same way! Especially about the interior design and materials. Either it's grown on me or the model we had this time was a bit of an upgrade. Had pretty decent leather seats (though not as comfortable as the aptly named 'comfort seats' in my E39), leather and carbotanium (titanium/carbon fibre mix apparently) trim. I liked it a lot but the ultra modern design does look more generic and lacks - for me anyway - a bit of the luxury you got with a high spec E39 or E36.

It is a big car. I was surprised when I was photographing it that it was wider than my E39, though maybe a fraction shorter. Certainly doesn't feel anywhere near as big inside but I guess there's a hell of a lot more safety stuff built in to protect our precious swedes. Boot's pretty decent but for a big car it does feel a bit like a hot hatch (A3, Focus, etc) inside.

Edited by jeffbebe

Correct me if wrong the F30 was a nice distraction but when all said and dusted a devil you know is better than one you don't so the 528 is here to stay for a little while longer. All said and done you lucky bbb for having the chance to drive it around and it must have been an interesting time and many comparisons drawn. As for myself and looking at the photo's it does nothing for me it's missing that something. As well as having owned a 530i for five years , first bm as well could make me a little bias. But I would have no problem recommending the 5 series as a safe family type vehicle. That said they do have their problems and I would aim for the later 2003 models because by then all the options had become standard if I was to buy again.

Correct me if wrong the F30 was a nice distraction but when all said and dusted a devil you know is better than one you don't so the 528 is here to stay for a little while longer.

The F31 was far more than a nice distraction. I'd own one in a heartbeat if my financial situation allowed for it. That said I don't think I'd give up my E39 but they're not like for like really. The car is comparable in size and usage to our Mazda 6 wagon but there's really no comparison in quality. The Mazda never goes wrong but has very little personality and style. I love the F31, I love my E39 more (probably because of the time, etc I've put into it) but if money was no object the F30 would be a fantastic daily driver.

That said, I love a project, so if money really was no object, I'd probably try and build an E39 M5 wagon!

Edited by jeffbebe

You cant really compare an old 1st gen Mazda 6 with the latest BMW though, they are now onto the third generation of the Mazda 6 and it quite nice, the gutless engine is the real let down but the interior quality felt better than a 3 series, I sh*t you not, I drove a few on the weekend, the 2.5L CX5 is probably a better compromise.

Looking at the F30 pricing, I could definitely see myself in a 328I Touring one day, would not buy new but a year old with a few options is appealing... or there is the Audi S4, a very well packaged car and good value at one year old.

Grrrr... <_<

F30 = 3-Series Sedan

F31 = 3-Series Touring

/rant!

Grrrr... <_<

F30 = 3-Series Sedan

F31 = 3-Series Touring

/rant!

Sorry F31. It doesn't have the model number on any of the information with the car by the way... So we have to guess from the info Google provides. Have edited my posts.

Edited by jeffbebe

Lol, you didn't have to do that - I was just being pedantic.

Glad you enjoyed the prize!

A prize is something to keep though Jon :unsure:

A prize is something to keep though Jon :unsure:

Sadly a prize is just something given... Not necessarily something kept. Wish it was!!

Lol, you didn't have to do that - I was just being pedantic.

Glad you enjoyed the prize!

Don't worry, a bit of pedantry now and again is necessary. Definitely enjoyed the prize, would love to have enjoyed it for longer!

Edited by jeffbebe