Sign in to follow this  
joel5425

auto to manual...are the ecu's different

looking at getting another bmw and changing it from auto to manual but wanting to know if you also need the ecu also as ive seen some people say no others say you do. ive only ever had manual bmw's so want to do the manual conversion since im not a big auto fan.

amyone able to let me know...???

There is a minor difference which slightly effects the revs on downshifts and at idle but some people don't notice. I didn't until the previous owner pointed it out to me a couple months owning it. A few people have tried to chase this but haven't had any luck and lived with it.

In short, the auto ECU will work.

thanks can you tell what the differences are? do the revs hold on shifting and is the idle higher etc ???

Edited by skidtoy

Yea the revs just hold that little bit longer when you shift and the idle is slightly higher than in a manual but still smooth. There is a thread on it somewhere here. I'll try to find it.

i converted my e36 325 no problems just join the park switch and tap into the reverse switch idle was 700 didnt notice the revs.

ive been checking the net and it seems some cars play up and others dont, in saying that some people might not just notice or be fussy...problem is ill notice and im fussy. also i dont seem to be having much finding manual ecu's on the net as a back up if it doesnt work how i would like it to as reading peoples posts they seem to have problems that come and go...???

ive been checking the net and it seems some cars play up and others dont, in saying that some people might not just notice or be fussy...problem is ill notice and im fussy. also i dont seem to be having much finding manual ecu's on the net as a back up if it doesnt work how i would like it to as reading peoples posts they seem to have problems that come and go...???

OBD I or OBD II? 2.5s were both in 1996, you can re-programme I but not II

Is anyone round here able to do such a recode? If this manual conversion I've ordered (& paid for) ever shows up I'd be quite interested at getting this done. It does look like the sort of thing I'd be capable of in the future I don't have the gear nor the experience to tackle something like this without being terrified of bricking the ECU.

Is it a code-for-beer kinda job or will this fall under the $ category? :)

Changing the SA code only updates the dealer option table.

Updating the module options only adjust configuration for certain features.

The actual ECU code still needs adjusting as well as map curves for idle control.

Changing the SA code only updates the dealer option table.

Updating the module options only adjust configuration for certain features.

The actual ECU code still needs adjusting as well as map curves for idle control.

Figured it wouldn't be as easy as dump auto, install manual then everybodys happy :) Who would be the best person to take it to & what sort of cost would it involve?

I could do it through HellBM .. EG Ray gets me up to programme stuff

what type of money are we talking for you to do it and time frame...???