Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

BMW

I'm pretty keen on THIS BMW 320i.

It's an import but it does look pretty tidy in the photos. It's in Christchurch, if anyone is calling past this yard have a quick look for me?

Does the 110kw engine in these go ok compared to my 320d E46? I guess it won't be as quick as the E46 but I don't want a car that's gutless, there's two things I hate in this world and it's warm piss and gutless cars! That and there's quite a few hills in Dunedin that I traverse daily...

This will replace my E46 as a daily, haven't decided what I'll do with the E46 yet...

Went for a run in the diesel variant of this around the hills in Welly was quick and quiet so I would say it's petrol brother would be as good. As for those bloody hills in Dunner's don't miss them at all ^_^

Went for a run in the diesel variant of this around the hills in Welly was quick and quiet so I would say it's petrol brother would be as good. As for those bloody hills in Dunner's don't miss them at all ^_^

They're bloody good the E90 320d, balanced car & just enough grunt to put a smile on your face.

They definitely aren't as well built as the E46 in my opinion....

My 320d gets up and boogies OK, but it's the little things that bug me like rattles in the dash, watching the headlights bounce up and down when you hit a bump, the tinny feeling of the doors, and oddly the radio sometimes freezes and it does have a crappy sound. Oh, and there's the sheer lunacy of no temperature gauge, no spare wheel (or spare wheel well), glove box won't hold the service book, an electric steering lock (which scares me) and none of the E46 accessories like roof racks, towbars or ipod connections will fit.

I think the best way to describe it is that the accountants got hold of the design team and told them to find another 30% cost savings - and it has really made a big difference.

There are some good parts: the sport seats are comfortable (not that the E46 weren't), ISOFIX mounts are std, the switch gear for indicators feels better, front parking sensors as well as rears and at least they aren't as ugly as the X3/F20/F30....

From memory the 320i manual needed to be given a bit of the right boot to get it going, but was OK when you were up to speed (last time I drove one was the autobahn in 2007 so memory is a bit hazy now).

I'd really like a 320d but not really prepared to spend the extra $$$ on one tbh. I'd say the E90 320d would go better simply because 110kw vs 120kw and 200nm vs 340nm

The 320d is also faster to 100kph than the 320i

Edited by The Diesel Guy

These are gutless in petrol, would rather have a 330i E46

I would avoid the e90 until you want to pay for a perhaps second hand f30, I still prefer the look of an e46 to the e90, and they drive so so similarly

These are gutless in petrol, would rather have a 330i E46

I was kinda hoping the 6 speed manual would sorta remove a bit of the gutlessness ?

I would avoid the e90 until you want to pay for a perhaps second hand f30, I still prefer the look of an e46 to the e90, and they drive so so similarly

A facelift motorsport E46 in silver or red likes my eyes.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I think the best way to describe it is that the accountants got hold of the design team and told them to find another 30% cost savings - and it has really made a big difference.

I was thinking the very same thing, spot on. It's actually really disappointing.

If I was looking to spend $20k, I would just avoid the E90, try for a late production E46 with that good looking face lift front end.

They are probably one of the best all round cars sedan, touring or coupe, especially in the 330ci spec.. I would have one in a heart beat if I hadn't spent all my focus & money on my E36.

so to sum it all up:

e46 > e90

facelift would be ideal

diesel > petrol but not necessarily worth the higher price tag

$20k would be better spent on a car for say $12k give or take plus maintenance and other mods (and still have some left over for a fridge to sort out the warm piss problem)

otherwise wait around for the f10 to drop in price

anyways my opinion is you should keep the 320d since its a nice looking car, obviously well cared for, drives well and will probably serve you well for at least a few more years.. you probably wont find anything as powerful unless its a 330/335i or nearly as economic (as your diesel, which i guess does around 900kms to a tank that costs $80 to fill?)

and the clencher is you will no longer be "the diesel guy" but just "the 320ie90butmanual guy"

:)

Edited by QUBE

you will miss the torque...sure they have more power but not much and at higher revs ,and the torque is pathetic.I think the others are right it will take a 3l petrol or at least a 2 litre turbo petrol to replace the diesel

I have seen numerous e90s selling in Japan auctions for around $12 to $14k landed here and on the road. Why don't you import your own and get more 'bang for your buck' ...

Even with the 6-speed manual I think you will be a little disappointed with the performance of the petrol in the E90, especially up those twisty hills.

E90 in 320d is much better proposition than the petrol 2.0litre, well worth the extra $$s. Wait until you can find a 320d in your budget would be my 2c

Later E90 with the higher spec would be the go, but again price would be $$s

Unfortunately 99.99% of the Jap imports will be petrol, for some reason they won't consider diesel in a car, only SUVs and vans.

I was thinking the very same thing, spot on. It's actually really disappointing.

If I was looking to spend $20k, I would just avoid the E90, try for a late production E46 with that good looking face lift front end.

They are probably one of the best all round cars sedan, touring or coupe, especially in the 330ci spec.. I would have one in a heart beat if I hadn't spent all my focus & money on my E36.

Therein lies the problem. I looked for 6 months for a good E46 330i m/sport and couldn't find one I wanted after owning the 330ci. Then my E90 came along at the same price as the E46 and while it's a perfectly acceptable car, I f**ked up. I really should have bought a Golf GTi, or just sprung for a second kids seat for the coupe.....

I do miss the 330ci.

Edited by elmarco

She's a done deal, it's being delivered next week. It might be gutless but IMO it is quite a good looking E90. Got it for a good deal :)

I was considering one of these, and found an 08 320i Coupe also manual. It was surprisingly peppy and didn't feel gutless. I'm not sure if there are differences between the 05 and 08 but it was a nice car to drive.

Enjoy it!

Wonder how long before it gets chipped and mapped...?

Wonder how long before it gets chipped and mapped...?

Don't you worry, I've already looked into that...

The benefits aren't there vs the cost though, only 10kw gain and about 20nm. Would notice it, but bugger all I'd say.

Even with the 6-speed manual I think you will be a little disappointed with the performance of the petrol in the E90, especially up those twisty hills.

E90 in 320d is much better proposition than the petrol 2.0litre, well worth the extra $$s. Wait until you can find a 320d in your budget would be my 2c

Later E90 with the higher spec would be the go, but again price would be $$s

Unfortunately 99.99% of the Jap imports will be petrol, for some reason they won't consider diesel in a car, only SUVs and vans.

To date, I've never seen a Euro SUV in diesel, yes the Japanese built cars, i.e Toyboata, but how come not in the Touareg, X5 e.t.c. ?

I have heard it's down to two things, the quality of the diesel fuel in Japan was not very good until

quite recently, second it is perceived as being for commercial vehicles only... dirty, smelly, oily, etc.

Japanese manufacturers have always been well behind the Euros, I guess because they never had the same market demands.