Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

keeping the ultimate driving machine

greetings....

with my M5 hitting 11 years old and 90,000km ...

I've embarked on a comprehensive maintenance program to ensure the M car continues to the be ultimate driving machine and to complete and learn alittle about doing some of the easier servicing myself.

I've noted recently that I may have overlooked a few regular maintenance parts that I probably should have done earlier so, hence the purpose of this thread.

If anyone spots something I have missed or is embarking on a similar journey please fell free to post.

currently there isn't anything wrong with the car. this is all preventative maintenance.

basic's:

'02 M5

NZ new 90ks

all regular oil services done via BMW

already upgraded:

cabin (carbon activated) air filters

NGK IX iridium spark plugs

AFE prodry airfilters

oem bosch MAF sensors

rear intergal links (bilstein)

Powerflex suspension bushes

stoptech steel brake lines

axxis deluxe pads

slotted discs

clutchmaster clutch

E60 SSK

parts on order:

fuel filter

pre-cat O2 sensors

beastpower rear swaybar links

peake research scan tool

vent hoses (crankcase)

From what I've read it should mostly be perishables (brakes, filters, etc) that need replacing before 100,00kms. Once these cars get up to 130-140xxx kms general consensus is that cooling and suspension parts my need looking at.

Incidentally, I've only seen a couple of pics of your car. Surely a project thread needs lots of pics to set the scene!

i'll post up some more pic's when I have some UPS packages turn up and I can do some "look at me all getting my hands dirty & sh1t" pics. :)

I've been thinking of a cooling system overhaul however i might leave that to BMW to ensure nothing is missed.

Has anyone made aftermarket alloy expansion tanks and components for the E39? might be worth investigating as that mid-late nineties plastic they used was perishable - had to be for recycling purposes etc., it was a requirement at the time in the EU.

by the way OP this car of yours will be a great buy if you sell it fastidiously maintained, great to see, worth it too good asset you have there.

cheers. yeah. someone will have to pry my dead fingers off the keys.

the purpose of all this is that I don't intend on selling it. ever. So better to spend the $ now.

*I'd be interested in any leads on quality alloy cooling parts if anyone knows anything?

Looks like a good option

http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/store/s...de/E389SDCK.htm

I did see another place doing replacement alloy kits. The only think you need to be careful with replacing the alloy radiator is that is doesn't at all ground to the chassis. Other wise you can have electrolysis over time and it will start to corrode the insides of your engine because each metal is dissimilar. The coolant acts as a catalyst.

After you have measured with a volt meter the continuity (or lack of) between the alloy radiator and your chassis and engine block. You should be good.

Went through this with my e30/s50b32

beastpower rear swaybar links

Now that's how you choose a name for your company....

Good job, mate! Love seeing maintenance threads like this. Beauty of a beast.

only things i can think of is a proper brake fluid flush, making sure theres no old crap fluid in the ABS unit.

especially important if it hasnt been changed for a while.

If you want to go anal, testing the wheel speed sensors and clearance to the hubs.

Couldnt hurt to re grease the CV joints, cheaper than wearing them out and new greases take better shock loads.

investgate whether there are wearale parts in the shifter mechinism, also goes for clutch system.

And a great upgrade for feel is braided brake lines (also clutch if its hydraulic)

Engine wise, i would consider getting the vanos sytem crack tested.

Also cheap insurance chuck a set of big end bearings in it.

If I may check the hose connections on the power steer reservoir and the "o"ring on the fill cap they flatten after time and leak.The res hoses work harden and the hose clips work lose I found on my 530i oil filter housing gaskets can course trouble.

fantastic suggestions in here.. :)

I did locate this alloy radiator which has some excellent reviews to it's quality it's just out of stock currently.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_...L-AR-E39M5.html

Add to this new pump, temp etc as per:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14418-co...age-e39-m5.aspx

& new expansion tank and I think she should be good for another 100ks.

Def will add grease CV's & brake fluid flush / power steering check to list. many thanks.

Jason - Already have stoptech braided brake lines, new clutch and E60 short shift kit (with all new OEM BMW linkages).

I don't believe I was able to locate a aftermarket clutch line for my car.

fantastic suggestions in here.. :)

I did locate this alloy radiator which has some excellent reviews to it's quality it's just out of stock currently.

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Performance_...L-AR-E39M5.html

Add to this new pump, temp etc as per:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-14418-co...age-e39-m5.aspx

& new expansion tank and I think she should be good for another 100ks.

Def will add grease CV's & brake fluid flush / power steering check to list. many thanks.

Jason - Already have stoptech braided brake lines, new clutch and E60 short shift kit (with all new OEM BMW linkages).

I don't believe I was able to locate a aftermarket clutch line for my car.

How are you finding the short shift kit? Mine feels quite notchy, and I think it will cause premature wear on the syncro's.

I like mine.

Very much an improvement over the standard shifter.

It can be alittle notchy and difficult to get into certain gears when cold but it's alot more positive when she's up to temperature.

I've heard plenty of talk about how these can damage your gearbox. IMO it's mis shifting or being too fast or aggressive with the shifter that does this.

The mechanism below hasn't changed, just the pivot point. So there should be no change to wear.

You are just probably more likely to mis-shift with the reduced action.

there are plenty of people with the machines around to make up custom braided hoses.

At worst you may have to take the old hose off and let them give it a measure up. should be standard fittings either end. shouldn't cost much around $60 would be pretty fair i would think.

also supercharger.....?

fair point.

after my experiences with building high HP motors (my GTR race engine - 3 engine failures - court action pending)

I've lost faith in going down this route.

The engine will remain stock. It has plenty of getup and go to get me in trouble as it is.

i believe brent did some engine maintanance on the e39 v8 he put in the 3 series.

mainly throttle body gaskets and plenum gasket etc.

have a read of his thread but it seemed to make a difference for him

i believe brent did some engine maintanance on the e39 v8 he put in the 3 series.

mainly throttle body gaskets and plenum gasket etc.

have a read of his thread but it seemed to make a difference for him

You mean Ray?

I've read ray's build thread. I believe there was a reason he checked and changed this gasket.

I'll def check if there is any evidence of leaks etc.

Which gaskets? The 2 that connect the plenum to the throttle bodies? or the gasket and o-rings which sit between the plenum and plenum cover?

Which gaskets? The 2 that connect the plenum to the throttle bodies? or the gasket and o-rings which sit between the plenum and plenum cover?

These are the gaskets I replaced.

post-1470-1369206405.jpg

post-5771-1369288674.jpg

early xmas presents!