Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

CSL and E70 import

I'm looking into importing a E46 CSL and E70 from the mother land. After having a CSL on the desktop for years & watching Top Gear's review on it 1.5 billion times (it was on tonight too) I thought bugger it. No one knows of one for sale in NZ? Landed in NZ price would still be competitive even if there was one in NZ?

Being only 300 left in the world the CSL seems to be quite hard to come by but I have found THIS CSL and a half decent E70 - there's bucketloads of those over there for sale, so I'll probably buy from a dealer for protection.

I've done a bit of research on the CSL and I fear it may have been in a prang, also, from what I can gather it's been in the UK, then Ireland, then back to the UK.

Being only 300ish left in the world, surely this could be considered special interest? Because as far as I've read so far it's not able to be imported otherwise. I've spoken to a couple of importers and I'm reasonable sure I can import for around the 5-7k mark tops (allowing for stuff ups)

Anyone here know what I need to ask this trader on with the CSL & what to look for? He's emailed pictures to my work PC's email so I'll post them up tomorrow.

I've found THIS CSL but it's about 8k more than the previous one but looks absolutely immaculate.

THIS one from Australia, but bloody hell, look at the price!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I'm looking into importing a E46 CSL and E70 from the mother land. After having a CSL on the desktop for years & watching Top Gear's review on it 1.5 billion times (it was on tonight too) I thought bugger it. No one knows of one for sale in NZ? Landed in NZ price would still be competitive even if there was one in NZ?

Being only 300 left in the world the CSL seems to be quite hard to come by but I have found THIS CSL and a half decent E70 - there's bucketloads of those over there for sale, so I'll probably buy from a dealer for protection.

I've done a bit of research on the CSL and I fear it may have been in a prang, also, from what I can gather it's been in the UK, then Ireland, then back to the UK.

Being only 300ish left in the world, surely this could be considered special interest? Because as far as I've read so far it's not able to be imported otherwise. I've spoken to a couple of importers and I'm reasonable sure I can import for around the 5-7k mark tops (allowing for stuff ups)

Anyone here know what I need to ask this trader on with the CSL & what to look for? He's emailed pictures to my work PC's email so I'll post them up tomorrow.

I've found THIS CSL but it's about 8k more than the previous one but looks absolutely immaculate.

THIS one from Australia, but bloody hell, look at the price!

get the pristine one.You will kick yourself if if you dont.

0-100 in 4.5 seconds in a ten year old car?

i could get used to that

There's an E46 M3 & CSL buyers guide stickied in the "Want to buy" section, written by M3 Power, read that.

300 left in UK, not the world, probably still get a special interest cert though.

There's an E46 M3 & CSL buyers guide stickied in the "Want to buy" section, written by M3 Power, read that.

300 left in UK, not the world, probably still get a special interest cert though.

Yer, sorry I did mean UK as 1400 made world wide?

Have you spoken with our resident CSL expert?

Can't quite remember his user name, I know he has a CSL & advised of one for sale on here a few years back. But couldn't find it.

I just don't want a CSL that's been hammered around a track most it's life, the 2nd one there for 30k GBP looks like it's had a good life.

Can't quite remember his user name, I know he has a CSL & advised of one for sale on here a few years back. But couldn't find it.

Its Tom

This guy http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showuser=15

Wait for Tom to reply. He is Bimmersports CSL guru. Last we spoke he knew of all the CSL's in NZ.

Have you struck gold lately, Diesel Guy? First the E90 and now a CSL! Good on you!

I swear we need larger inboxes!! But happy to just answer questions here so others can just look up in this post instead of resorting to PMs.

1383 made in total (excluding the prototypes) .... 542 RHD. 10 official NZ imports (8 silver grey and 2 Sapphire black) - I know of 3 private UK imports since (one Sappire black, and 2 silver greys) I am told there has been another silver grey come in last year, but I've not seen it. One NZ new car is now in Australia, so making official NZ car telly to 9. The driver training car that was written off was not part of the 10 official imports. I have chassis no.1 - in terms of first registration - in NZ : )

If I remember correctly 6 of the 10 official NZ cars are delimited and two came in without radio - all had aircon spec'd.

If you think prices are high in Aussie, you should see what they cost in Germany, Turkey, Switzerland and Hong Kong.

I was told by a friend in Germany that you couldn't pick up a decent one for less than 60K euros. In Turkey one was sold for nearly 150,000 Euros - it had 10km on the clock, never used. In Hong Kong I was told you'd still be paying about NZ$130K for a moderate km one.

I know of one still for sale in NZ, but the owner want decent coins for it, so unless you are desperate for a minter and are prepared to pay look to import.

Just be careful when you import from the UK, most would have some sort of corrosion underneath (every single one I've seen have it) - worse now as majority of the cars have had the rear floor replaced due to the infamous subframe crack - this will mean you'll need an engineering cert (as it's considered chassis repair work) to get it complied in NZ - chances are it probably won't pass - as owners tend to sell their cars if the floor isn't done right(from my experiences in import in the past and having had engineering certs done, the floor is a major).

CSL will meet the SIV tests and has been done before - I believe it might even be on a list.

Personally if I was to import I would buy a LHD one if you can find a decent example - they are better balanced (these cars are engineered LHD not RHD) and slightly higher hp (and have the lighter carpet that the RHD apparently don't have).

I also think you are dreaming to wanting to find one for 21K pound that has never tracked - people buy these cars to track ... it's almost a given. It's how well it has been taken care of that matters not whether it was tracked at all. All the suspension rubbers and bushings can be replaced - I've taken mine to the track a total of 6 times (4 at Pukekohe and 1 at Hampton Downs and 1 at Taupo) and I've replaced basically all the bushes on my car already and the oil comes out after each track day - the diff oil has been replaced twice, and the gearbox once - and it's done 29k km. It comes down to how you maintain the car.

Get NJ to send you photos of the bottom of the car and find out if the floor has been replaced - decide then if you want to buy it. He had a real low km example with 2 owners for sale before and a friend of mine in the UK went and checked it out - he walked away after he saw the floor - apparently it was rusty as f**k.

Edited by M3_Power

Thanks Tom, I guess I should consider the tidy one then & get them to put it on a hoist and take pictures.

Did you say you wanted 50 for yours? Seems like a bargain lol. If I can get one landed here for 50-60k I'd be happy & know I'm on the right side of things, sell it in a year and either break even or not walk away with a smacked ass. I realistically would need one with A/C for Dunedin's weather & radio would be a requirement. They only seem to have Business radios & not Professional, I guess that's to save weight.

So realistically, I'm just looking for bushes, rear sub frame photos when they have it up on the hoist?

Have you struck gold lately, Diesel Guy? First the E90 and now a CSL! Good on you!

I guess you haven't been on here long enough Jeff. I've had quite a few cars over the years whilst on here. Critical thing is, I've always had cars, but when they aren't BMW I tend not to post them up on here for fear of rage lol.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Thanks Tom, I guess I should consider the tidy one then & get them to put it on a hoist and take pictures.

Did you say you wanted 50 for yours? Seems like a bargain lol. If I can get one landed here for 50-60k I'd be happy & know I'm on the right side of things, sell it in a year and either break even or not walk away with a smacked ass. I realistically would need one with A/C for Dunedin's weather & radio would be a requirement. They only seem to have Business radios & not Professional, I guess that's to save weight.

So realistically, I'm just looking for bushes, rear sub frame photos when they have it up on the hoist?

Personally I actually think it's the worst year to be buying CSLs from Europe ... at least not before May ... The 10th year annivarsary is coming up so most of the decent cars all have owners now (apparently about a 1/3 of the cars are going back to Munich in a weeks time for the big bash). Wait after the event has passed before you pick one up - I am sure there'll probably be a few dented ones too as there's two track days lined up for the celebration.

Buy the most decent one you can afford.

Depends on how original you want to keep the car - but expect all the exhaust flanges to be rusted to nothing from Europe (they were mild steel and not protected) - over $3000 for a brand new rear muffler and over $2000 for a mid pipe - these two are the most often to go first.

I would never buy one without looking at the floor and rear wheel arches - inside the boot floor under the 'cardboard' floor trim.

Everything's for sale my friend - I can lay claim to having the most spare parts for this car also in the Country and if I were to sell I'd sell the whole lot including all the spares.

Edited by M3_Power

Done deal at 50 then!

I'd really want to see the pictures of that "good" CSL for 30GBP. Will get them to send over, it's the middle of the night there, they will respond tomorrow.

I would be very wary of the one you think has been through Ireland. It might be different now but when I was in the UK passing cars through Ireland used to be a way of "hiding" a dodgy past and getting new plates on the car. Usually for things like stolen cars or insurance write offs, there seemed to be a few "loop-holes" in the Irish system.

And no, this is not a joke.. :D

I would be very wary of the one you think has been through Ireland. It might be different now but when I was in the UK passing cars through Ireland used to be a way of "hiding" a dodgy past and getting new plates on the car. Usually for things like stolen cars or insurance write offs, there seemed to be a few "loop-holes" in the Irish system.

And no, this is not a joke.. :D

Nothing a pint and a smile wouldn't fix, I think I'm over that cheap one.

Done deal at 50 then!

I'd really want to see the pictures of that "good" CSL for 30GBP. Will get them to send over, it's the middle of the night there, they will respond tomorrow.

$50K - I don't think so - Tom kindly took me for a spin last weekend - the intake sound was to kill for - your $50 + $10 ;-)

If the CSL was in Ireland then it will be a known car (Ireland is small and the market for such cars tiny) on www.bmw-driver.net - ask about it there.

Edited by kodachrome

Hi there - new to the site. From experience whatever you do make sure it is totally legit. Ask for V5 form and get all documentation in order. I found a CSL on autotrader UK 3 months ago and turned out complete scam...They did a good job tho but the V5 let them down. The Transport Agency said no older than 2005 and should be ok as it complied under special interest.

I've still not found one that was in my price range. I want a good one, but not prepared to pay the much higher prices for a minter & on the other end of the scale, I don't want a mongrel with 50,000kms of track use.

I've still not found one that was in my price range. I want a good one, but not prepared to pay the much higher prices for a minter & on the other end of the scale, I don't want a mongrel with 50,000kms of track use.

i reckon there wont be an in between with these cars,they will either be a very well cared for minter or not

i reckon there wont be an in between with these cars,they will either be a very well cared for minter or not

I think we've partially decided to hang on until one comes up for sale in NZ. This way I can fly wherever, get it checked out & ask the guru on it's history. Still looking at importing the E70 though, they seem to be bloody cheap at the moment over there especially.