Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Manual or SW upgrade?

Got a few plans for my new 540i. As it's going to be a weekender they are mostly performance related. I'd like to build a car that will be really fun to take to the track but still a great cruiser for a Sunday drive. One of the early upgrades I've been considering is a manual upgrade. If I do that, it will exclude my wife from driving it as she can't drive a manual - some of you on here may see that as a good thing, but since she already hates the 'money I waste on BMWs', I see it as a negative.

I've just read about Dinan's auto trans software upgrade which sounds pretty cool. In straight auto mode it raises the gear shift points to higher RPMs which is great but I think the really exciting thing is that it holds the gear in manual mode, so you're completely in control.

At US$299 that seems like a really good option - at least in the short term - anyone have any experience of this software, or have any idea if it can be done in NZ? And if so, where? Who?

Edited by jeffbebe

from someone whom has taken a e39 onto a track........

Your gearbox and shift points are not your biggest concern.

Making your brakes last more than 2 laps stopping a 1800kg car is.

I warped out my front disc's in 4 laps of manfield.

$1800 worth of new disc's from Germany later...... i decided e39's aren't track cars.

Lesson learned. Don't attack braking zones with standard brakes.

Sorry no experience with the dinan software, but I'd tend to believe them, they have a good rep.

Edited by M5V8

$1800 worth of new disc's from Germany later...... i decided e39's aren't track cars.

Lesson learned. Don't attack braking zones with standard brakes.

Ouch... Yes, didn't intend to power it up and leave stock brakes on there! Also won't be heading to the track anytime soon, nor that frequently once the car's ready... I just want to know that I can once in a while! Incidentally, was that an M5 or a stock E39 you took to the track?

Sorry no experience with the dinan software, but I'd tend to believe them, they have a good rep.

General web feedback is excellent for the auto trans upgrade but not sure if it works with Euro spec cars... Were the auto transmissions the same for US spec cars? Edited by jeffbebe

it's my current M5.

Sorry I have no knowledge about auto boxes. :lol:

it's my current M5.

So even the stock M5 brakes weren't up to it for more than a few laps? Good to know.

yup.

brakes / clutch & rear sway bar links all weak points of the car.

I've addressed them now, but probably could still do with a brembo BBK but I can't justify the $6k.

So aftermarket slotted rotors & uprated pads & brake ducting will have to do.

yup.

brakes / clutch & rear sway bar links all weak points of the car.

I've addressed them now, but probably could still do with a brembo BBK but I can't justify the $6k.

So aftermarket slotted rotors & uprated pads & brake ducting will have to do.

I imagine you researched the options pretty extensively... Any insight you can give would be great.

as to the brakes?

well i didn't go crazy as this is just a streetcar.

zimmerman supply bmw their rotors. So I went direct and picked up a OEM set of bmw M5 disc's but paid alittle extra to have them slotted. (not drilled).

Axxis deluxe pads - slight improvement on bite and fade resistance but like 80% dust reduction.

BMW OEM brake fluid.

I then ported some holes in my front bumper which interestingly have brake ducting within the body already to move air to the front brakes. All I did was open up the airflow.

So cooler brakes + new rotors + better pads = better performance.

simple

Last M60 manual kit I saw on Tardme was over $4k. Versus $375 for the Dinan software.

At those sorts of prices I'd find it really difficult to justify that much money on any car unless it was an absolute low mileage minter that you knew you'd avoid selling at all cost. Still, an E39 with the 4.4 AND three pedals is nearly my idea of a perfect daily :) All comes down to the $

Last M60 manual kit I saw on Tardme was over $4k. Versus $375 for the Dinan software.

Does seem like a bit of a no-brainer. Hoping the Dinan software works with Euro-spec car and that it's a simple install.

The Dinan stuff is excellent, one of the few aftermarket companies i would trust when it comes to BMWs. I can't goa day on Bimmerfest without hearing about them.

But the software is one thing, also you could do this, Michael on here showed me this a few months ago,

im looking at getting it done at some stage in the future, just bigger priorities than the BMW at the moment.

But like you i really have no desire to make my car manual either.

edit: but just make sure the box you are buying for on their website or email is the same as yours. They will have different software between US and Euro spec, but as long as the transmission itself is the same, you should be fine.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

the problem with the brakes on the e39 (or any road car) is just that..its a road car.BMWs have very soft pads to give lots of bite and also i think there is a requirement that even without the engine running the brakes must provide a certain proportion of normal braking.Most road cars would have overheated brakes within a few laps.

Performance automatic is an Oxymoron (DSG / DCT and similar excepted)

Having owned an E39 manual and driven an E34 manual 540iS as well as autos, if you are genuinely looking to create a performance car then the slush box should go in the bin, software upgrade or not.

I think you missed the brief

his missus drives the car

I think you missed the brief

his missus drives the car

Spot on, Andy. Not only that, it's hard to justify the $4-6K price tag of the manual conversion when I can get a US$299 SW upgrade for what is a great auto box (as autos go!), and it it helps win the missus over to German-built V8s (instead of US or Aus) then it's got to be a good thing!!

Have had a good chat with a guy at Dinan so think I'm going to begin a programme of upgrades with them. I like how they're upgrades are in Stages. Great for someone like me upgrading on a budget over time and also kind of cool building for that badge!!

from someone whom has taken a e39 onto a track........

Your gearbox and shift points are not your biggest concern.

Making your brakes last more than 2 laps stopping a 1800kg car is.

I warped out my front disc's in 4 laps of manfield.

Braking is overrated!

Manual box it and compression lock it hard into every corner D1 styles, that's how a man would do it :lol:

Joking aside, I would look at a basic brake upgrade and a LSD, the auto is a sh*t house if you want to drive like a man but an open diff manual with no brakes will be equally annoying.

Personally, I would keep stalking M5 owners and buy some duck tape.

Edited by apex

Personally, I would keep stalking M5 owners and buy some duck tape.

:ph34r: I'm on it.

First on my list was decent Koni sport adjustables, uprated sway bars & sports springs , fortunately the car came with staggered M-Sport wheels.

I quite like the idea of getting upgrades from the same source. Dinan do a 3 stage suspension kit. I can probably stretch to stage 1 at the moment - http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D190-5711K-S...NLY.aspx#page=3 - but wonder how much better it would be than the m-sport II suspension on the car already (I am asking because I really don't know, not because I'm being a pain in the ass). Is the difference going to be significant?

Trying to weigh up the benefit vs cost of new suspension + stage 2 tune vs stage 4 tune with CAI and HF MAF and throttle body. Thoughts please, gentlemen?

Edited by jeffbebe

Trying to weigh up the benefit vs cost of new suspension + stage 2 tune vs stage 4 tune with CAI and HF MAF and throttle body. Thoughts please, gentlemen?

What sort of car are you wanting to get at the end of all this? <..Really is the most important question.

PS if the missus cant drive manual, teach her (not sure if :lol: ?)

What sort of car are you wanting to get at the end of all this? <..Really is the most important question.

PS if the missus cant drive manual, teach her (not sure if :lol: ?)

Good question. I want a really fun weekend car, that's still comfortable for the odd road trip and has enough get up and go for an occasional foray to the track (am I asking too much??! :lol:)

PS No chance of that... If I'm going to win her over it needs to be minimal effort. Plus I'm not a very patient teacher!!

EDIT: I should add that it's really fun already, I just really enjoy making it better. I guess I'm looking for bang vs buck for performance and power.

Edited by jeffbebe

Good question. I want a really fun weekend car, that's still comfortable for the odd road trip and has enough get up and go for an occasional foray to the track (am I asking too much??! :lol:)

PS No chance of that... If I'm going to win her over it needs to be minimal effort. Plus I'm not a very patient teacher!!

EDIT: I should add that it's really fun already, I just really enjoy making it better. I guess I'm looking for bang vs buck for performance and power.

Shocks, brakes, tyres and make sure the auto's maintained. I'd be far more concerned about not boiling it rather than where it was shifting.

You're always going to be fighting the weight of it, so keep it simple and dont throw away tons of cash. That way when the 330s, WRXs, MX5s, Integras etc are running rings around you, you wont curse yourself so much :P .

It'll still be fun.

The improvement will depend on the current condition of the car and what is actually fitted.

M-Sports were delivered in NZ with standard suspension because ? and other markets also bodged the system so the only way to know is to identify.

Once you have done that and you know the current condition then you can make an informed plan.

On the wife front should have put it in her contract- real women drive manuals

Will take a look when I can get it up on a hoist. Everything feels good but can't say for certain in what condition it is til I look... Good advice, thanks.

On the wife front... I dare you to tell my wife that! ha

On the wife front should have put it in her contract- real women drive manuals

On the wife front... I dare you to tell my wife that! ha

I must have gotten lucky. Mine prefers manuals. She's only had 4 cars since we were married, only one was auto B)

I'm having a hell of a itme finding a manual people mover worth owning!

...a people mover worth owning!

Another oxymoron! Edited by jeffbebe

Going to get the car up on the hoist next week and check the suspension. If it needs work I'll do suspension first followed by transmission SW, CAI and Stage 2 Dinan engine tune. Ideally, I'll try and get the cash together for the tranny SW and tune by August as I'm heading to Europe for a month so can send the ECU and EGS to the States.

If the suspension's good, will do the brakes first... Not sure what I'll do with them. New brake package like Brembo is major $$s so maybe some decent slotted and drilled rotors and good pads to start with.

Please let the criticisms, recommendations, slaps on the back begin...

I did headers on mine and got a decent gain right across the range for about the same money.

I had imagined the headers would be much more expensive. Definitely something to think about. Do O2 sensors need to be moved or ECU remapped?

Unless you are really going to hammer the car or do track days the OE pads and rotors are up to a "performance drive" on the road. I ran Mintex 1166 pads for a while but the gain was only on extended thrash or track driving so I went back to OE pads.

Would like to track the car 3-4 times a year if possible. Edited by jeffbebe