Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

School me on jacks

Hi everyone

So.. Jacks..

Is it a case of if it can lift heavier than your car it's OK?

Are the $50 2tonne capacity ones on TradeMe rubbish?

Thanks

Tristan

Just get a good quality LOW PROFILE 3 ton trolley jack, will service any car truck you get in the future. AES or someone up your way should be able to help you.

you don't want a sh*t one thats strained and spits a seal or breaks under load and then your car comes smashing down on the concrete, what you save buying a cheap jack could cost you in a damaged car

Cant stress the low profile enough. can't get a normal trolley jack under my stock height E39 so wouldn't go under a M3 haha!

Just get a good quality LOW PROFILE 3 ton trolley jack, will service any car truck you get in the future. AES or someone up your way should be able to help you.

you don't want a sh*t one thats strained and spits a seal or breaks under load and then your car comes smashing down on the concrete, what you save buying a cheap jack could cost you in a damaged car

Cant stress the low profile enough. can't get a normal trolley jack under my stock height E39 so wouldn't go under a M3 haha!

Cool thanks for that! ;)

Powerbuilt = rubbish .. after my 5th replacement I threw it at them.

Will never buy a steel jack again.

Best jack I bought is this little bad boy. Its light, built well, cheap and can be de constructed to fit in behind your seat if needed. And made of alloy.

Most of the race series uses them too.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-596238275.htm

Mines red but its pretty much the same thing.

Did the 330, the 540 and the e30 and fits under my friend evo3 which he had problems with other jacks. This one is a good profile.

Powerbuilt = rubbish .. after my 5th replacement I threw it at them.

Will never buy a steel jack again.

Best jack I bought is this little bad boy. Its light, built well, cheap and can be de constructed to fit in behind your seat if needed. And made of alloy.

Most of the race series uses them too.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-596238275.htm

Mines red but its pretty much the same thing.

Did the 330, the 540 and the e30 and fits under my friend evo3 which he had problems with other jacks. This one is a good profile.

Thanks Josh, think I'll get one of those then. ^_^

To be fair, a jack is ultimately a safety device - do you really want to buy the cheapest one available?

To be fair, a jack is ultimately a safety device - do you really want to buy the cheapest one available?

Yeah, I realise this, but for my (current) purposes I won't be getting under the car. If that was the case I would be buying one of the better available + jack stands.

I guess as the old proverb goes. Buy right, buy once.

Yeah, I realise this, but for my (current) purposes I won't be getting under the car. If that was the case I would be buying one of the better available + jack stands.

I guess as the old proverb goes. Buy right, buy once.

While that's a point, the other issue is a cheap one potentially breaking and your car falling onto it's brake rotors etc if the wheels are removed :P

Indeed, there are plenty of decent once to choose, I'd just go with the ones with the appropriate ratings/standards

Any super low jacks? I cant get the factory bmw jack under the sills without someone lifting the car by hand or driving the car up on blocks first.

Hrrm I see the jack above goes down to 80mm, will have to measure up.

While that's a point, the other issue is a cheap one potentially breaking and your car falling onto it's brake rotors etc if the wheels are removed :P

Indeed, there are plenty of decent once to choose, I'd just go with the ones with the appropriate ratings/standards

Excellent point ;)

I have one of those jacks sold at repco and the like with a pair of stands. Its arse. Jack wont go high enough to use the stands that came with it..

Money spent on good tools is never money wasted.

I have one of those jacks sold at repco and the like with a pair of stands. Its arse. Jack wont go high enough to use the stands that came with it..

Money spent on good tools is never money wasted.

Classic. Won't be going Repco then ;)

My first jack is an old powerbuild 3 ton which was 300-400 at the time i bought, 7 years old and its still works sweet but its not a low profile so have to use factory jack to get some height first.

Ive never had any issues with powerbuilt stuff myself but its probably not to consistent quality wise.

My first jack is an old powerbuild 3 ton which was 300-400 at the time i bought, 7 years old and its still works sweet but its not a low profile so have to use factory jack to get some height first.

Ive never had any issues with powerbuilt stuff myself but its probably not to consistent quality wise.

Good to hear of your experiences with Powerbuilt.

My initial problem is that the car didn't come with a factory jack. :rolleyes:

Segedins on Dominion Rd sells two different load rating versions of the jack Josh posted. I think they are the "Harbour Freight" ones that's sold in USA. Give them a try etc, but you'll prob end up buying it after (coz its good)

a jack is only for lifting the car,once its up(unless you just changing a wheels) you should have stands or something under it

a jack is only for lifting the car,once its up(unless you just changing a wheels) you should have stands or something under it

Yep will be buying jack stands too thanks

I have the following two that I use for different purposes:

Powerbuilt 3 ton low profile: (the only one I would ever buy from Powerbuilt, the rest are rubbish)

Posted Image

I was recommended this one from a friend that owns a workshop - they abuse theirs extensively and leave a car lifted on it overnight and it still sits at the same height the next day without any sign of lowering - it lasted a good 7 years of heavy workshop use and abuse before it finally gave up and stopped working correctly - they had the seals replaced and it leaked again and ended up buying another one of the same to replace it.

I have had mine for about 7 years with light use - in my opinion it is a really good jack for the price - low enough to get under almost anything and long enough to reach the subframe pick up points on the back of E46s - it also lifts high enough. Usually if it needs to go higher, I lower it on stands, add a block of wood and jack again - easy.

This is the other one I bought two years ago from tradezone - it is part alloy and part steel

http://www.toolandindustrial.co.nz/shop/it...50kg-as-nzs/17/

Posted Image

I find this to be quite a nice jack to lug around. The importer has seals and rebuild parts readily available and it has good rating and construction. I've had an all alloy jack from BNT and trademe in the past and they were all rubbish - broke down and leaked after a few month of use - worst still you usually can't find the correct seals to rebuild them.

If I could I would probably buy this one if you can only afford one jack and want a light weight one to lug around:

http://www.toolandindustrial.co.nz/shop/it...ack-1900kg/125/

I've had a play with that one and it is very nice with good fast lifting - but it was simply a bit too dear for my liking (I know guys that own workshops that have this one and they all rave about it).

I also find if you do a lot of work under the car you really need 2 jacks - one easily maneuverable, so you can use it when under the car and one heavy, sturdy and low profile in order to reach jacking points.

One day however I would like to buy one of these: The Rolls-Royce of Alloy Jacks...

Posted Image

http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/low_profile_jacks.html

Edited by M3_Power