Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

BMW E39 headers & exhaust system.

It's because the make them to order... From gold.

I was looking into headers and exhaust for my E39 540i. Decent free flow exhaust isn't too expensive but the only headers I could find were around NZ$3K+ shipped to NZ. I've been looking at Dinan for a few high quality mods - they do a high flow intake manifold for about NZ$1500 but can't see one for the 530i.

Cost per horse doesn't seem worth it for yours though. Money better spent on tuning perhaps - or as many on here suggested to me when I had the 528i... Get a 540i. It'll give you an extra 90bhp and you can probably get one for the same or similar money as your 530i.

Edited by jeffbebe

It's because the make them to order... From gold.

Your ride looks mean, did you get the m-sport rear bumper as well to match?

Your ride looks mean, did you get the m-sport rear bumper as well to match?

Thanks, it's a factory motorsport, so the body kit, trim, suspension and steering wheel are all Msport.

Hmm expensive.

You could make you own headers for around $1.5-2k if you were committed enough, header back exhaust would be $500-1000 for a decent system.

Hmm expensive.

You could make you own headers for around $1.5-2k if you were committed enough, header back exhaust would be $500-1000 for a decent system.

Agreed. I would possibly expect that much for an Eisenmann or Remus...even at that I think its a bit much for an exhaust system that is a street upgrade.

Agreed. I would possibly expect that much for an Eisenmann or Remus...even at that I think its a bit much for an exhaust system that is a street upgrade.

Yep, also don't think you'd get anywhere close to 15-20% increase. I spoke to a guy at Dinan who reckoned you'd get around 30bhp increase (just over 10% increase for the 540) for manifold, CAI, high flow MAF and throttle body + Stage 2 engine tune.

Yep, also don't think you'd get anywhere close to 15-20% increase. I spoke to a guy at Dinan who reckoned you'd get around 30bhp increase (just over 10% increase for the 540) for manifold, CAI, high flow MAF and throttle body + Stage 2 engine tune.

I'd be interested if it was at reasonable costs. By manifold you mean headers?

Yeah totally, actually... you would probably be looking at around 1k for a nice I6 custom manifold and around $500 for a good single system on an 3.0 six - Although you would have to do the work yourself or have some you know with the skills/tools do it for a reduced rate. (for a second, I thought you had a V8 E39 which would obviously be a bit more expensive)

It's the only way I'd go tbh. Wouldn't waste all that money paying for a brand name on basic pipes etc. Although, it does pay to go for good mufflers, I tend to use stock high performance ones with good results, can pick up some good deals if you look for the right thing.

Edited by Michael.

It's the only way I'd go tbh. Wouldn't waste all that money paying for a brand name on basic pipes etc. Although, it does pay to go for good mufflers, I tend to use stock high performance ones with good results, can pick up some good deals if you look for the right thing.

The ECU flash sounds good, but will have to back it up with CAI, manifold, and exhaust system.

Which brand mufflers?

I was looking at conforti CAI, it costs like $1k but it seals the intake area completely. Hate to introduce hot air from the engine with a sub-par CAI. There's a few AFE's floating around on ebay, doesn't seem to have the same quality, tho the price is attractive.

I'd be interested if it was at reasonable costs. By manifold you mean headers?

Same thing except the Dinan manifold looks more like OEM but with improved flow instead of custom pipes.

Depends what you mean by reasonable. The manifold's about $1500, CAI $500, throttle body $800, MAF $750 and engine tune $500 (approximately, depending on exchange rate). Plus shipping of course - and you've got to ship your ECU to the states for the tune.

So all in all a pretty expensive effort for 30bhp (probably less for the straight six) and your car will be out of action for 2-3 weeks while your ECU is in transit.

I'd go custom if you want to do it.

Depends what you mean by reasonable. The manifold's about $1500, CAI $500, throttle body $800, MAF $750 and engine tune $500 (approximately, depending on exchange rate). Plus shipping of course - and you've got to ship your ECU to the states for the tune.

So all in all a pretty expensive effort for 30bhp (probably less for the straight six) and your car will be out of action for 2-3 weeks while your ECU is in transit.

I'd go custom if you want to do it.

Yeah true. its quite a lousy increase in performance for all that exercise. But at least your ledger looks better!

Which brand mufflers?

Boysen is probably the most common, they do stock Audi/VW exhausts, heaps of variations and sizes, many rear mufflers are straight through stainless ones, I've seen some 2.0" up to 2.5" All decent quality and generally from cars less than 5 years old.

The good ones are those from the RS and S spec vehicles, and R line VWs.

There are some stock BMW and Mercedes mufflers worth a look too.

It really just comes down to finding the right size for the E39 chassis' exhaust cavity.

Boysen is probably the most common, they do stock Audi/VW exhausts, heaps of variations and sizes, many rear mufflers are straight through stainless ones, I've seen some 2.0" up to 2.5" All decent quality and generally from cars less than 5 years old.

The good ones are those from the RS and S spec vehicles, and R line VWs.

There are some stock BMW and Mercedes mufflers worth a look too.

It really just comes down to finding the right size for the E39 chassis' exhaust cavity.

Sweet, will look into that.

Just spend 10k, youll be the man

Just spend 10k, youll be the man

I'll leave that for you to be THE man, or are you the guy selling the headers?

James, I have one set E39 6 cyl headers left. You would need to fit cats mid mount. Certainly nowhere near costs touted here.

^ Can vouch for Wayney's headers .Will achieve the same as the ones the guy above is selling and will be a tonne cheaper.

Coby are steel , Wayney's are Stainless - its a no brainer - buy the stainless ones. I had OBX headers on my 528, well worth it.

Yeah spot on, I don't fancy the steel too much as well. The dollars are stacking up with upgrades on the e39, I'm actually more pursuaded to sell mine and get the e90 330i. Only thing is the reliability issues, doesn't seem to have temp gauge on the instrument cluster, but its obviously got the lighter weight and more power for all the town driving I do.

....get the e90 330i. Only thing is the reliability issues, doesn't seem to have temp gauge on the instrument cluster, but its obviously got the lighter weight and more power for all the town driving I do.

They're about the same weight-wise ;)