Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Dodge Viper V10 motor new in crate

Good power plant that could be picked up for a reasonable price.

Actually a lot of good stuff going on at turners auctions next week.

Visit My Website

Edited by M-Spec

A guy we insure has one of these in a outwardly stock looking Nissan Safari. Would be a bit of fun I reckon

How bizarre. How would something like this end up here? Dealer repair that had the motor brought in and not fitted?

Hmmm E30 conversion.... you would want to make it sit far back as possible with a modified firewall, maybe an E36 or E46 would be a better chassis.

hmmm its a bit too down on power for my liking for the size of it.

I think it would make a pretty nice reliable boost project however .. A nice honest 600whp could be had at some low(ish) PSI

Now to find a cheapish ECU to run it hehe.

Would make a fun e39 touring conversion

580i Touring B)

Maybe Julian could put it in his 540i.

THEN supercharge it.

How much would one of these weigh in comparison to say, an M60B40?

Questionable, but according to a quote on wikipedia "The engine weighed 711 lb (323 kg) and produced 400 bhp (300 kW) at 4600 rpm and 465 lb·ft (630 N·m) at 3600 rpm "

This looks like a mid 90s engine.

Apparently they were derived from a V10 Iron truck engine & developed by Chrysler owned Lamborghini to make an alloy block & head version of the engine.

Needs a Volvo wrapped around it

Maybe Julian could put it in his 540i.

THEN supercharge it.

Haha! How much would it cost to fit an engine like this into an E39, considering I wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself?

My goal with the 540 is to get more power than a stock E39 M5 without costing as much as a stock E39 M5, but imagine buying this engine and paying someone to install it - plus the original cost of my car - and I'd be looking at similar $$s to a decent secondhand M5. The VF S/C for the M62 is going to cost a lot less including install.

need to buy that 530 touring that cant be complied then stick this in it

Questionable, but according to a quote on wikipedia "The engine weighed 711 lb (323 kg) and produced 400 bhp (300 kW) at 4600 rpm and 465 lb·ft (630 N·m) at 3600 rpm "

This looks like a mid 90s engine.

Apparently they were derived from a V10 Iron truck engine & developed by Chrysler owned Lamborghini to make an alloy block & head version of the engine.

How on earth the American's managed to only get 300kw out of a 8 litre engine is beyond me! Torque's not too shabby but 300kw from a 8 litre V10???

Well it is a sohc 20v motor which is less complex than your average bmw motor, engines would prob last alot longer than the equivalent high strung bmws.

Yeah apparently Lamborghini engineers wanted to ditch the dated SOHC 20v push rod setup for DOHC heads with gear/chain driven cams but the Chrysler team wanted to keep costs down so they weren't able to develop it further.

From the looks of the username of the person that bought it I would say its going to end up in a jet boat.

Yeah apparently Lamborghini engineers wanted to ditch the dated SOHC 20v push rod setup for DOHC heads with gear/chain driven cams but the Chrysler team wanted to keep costs down so they weren't able to develop it further.

Basically any gain you make is some what swallowed up by the weight of the thing. Unless you chuck some boost through it. It would be pretty bulletproof.

and there you go :) its a good motor for boost in stock form.

and there you go :) its a good motor for boost in stock form.

That sounds like sex on wheels.

sounds like he is short shiftin it!

sounds like he is short shiftin it!

Only 'cause you want to hear it rev like an S85

8000cc at +8000rpm would sound pretty sweet, even if it only has 2valves/cyl and pushrods.

Would've been interesting to see it in the 180sx that I'm guessing the other bidder would have put it in