Sign in to follow this  
Garett

Calling all E39 radio experts!

Ok so I purchased a E39 540i with a TV and sat nav, that seems to work fine but the radio wont turn on, no orange light or any sound what so ever.

I've googled the hell out of the issue and been down many paths to find the problem but had no luck.

Things I have done...

Removed the radio unit and placed in another vehicle and confirmed it was good

Checked fuses in glove box, RH of boot, engine bay in ECU box

Remove and replace AMP Unit in LHR rear of boot

Remove and replace CD changer in LHR of boot

Remove and replace Aerial box in LHR of boot

Remove and replace DVD nav unit

Remove and replace Video module

Remove and replace steering wheel with controls

Remove and replace steering wheel clock spring

Remove and replace ign switch assy

Still having same issue, the one thing I haven't done yet is remove the drivers seat and check the fuses under the carpet.

If anyone can shine some light on this it would be much appreciated

Which board monitor do you have 4:3 or 16:9?

I have the 4:3 but tried also the 16:9, still same issue

try these for a start

First do a visual check on the connector pins to your tuner and make sure the pins and the connector are seating correctly. If it doesn't clamp down properly this could be the source of the issue. (Which tuner do you have ? )

I'd check the 12v dir , 12v ACC power feeds at the Tuner connector first and then the earth connection . If voltage not present then this will be the issue or if no connection to ground.

Next would be the ibus signal wire. The voltage at the ibus should fluctuate between 0 to 12 volts . get someone to press the on / off button quickly a number of times . The tuner should be seeing the data signal that is telling it to turn off / on. If not the data signal isn't making it thru to tell the turner to switch on / off

I have come across this before with a mates E39.

Disconnect battery for a decent period of time ( I left it off over night and all worked again once reconnected...)

It's never played up since....

Otherwise use Jochens navcoder to see what's going on. It has an emulator to diagnose a monitor fault etc...

Good luck...

I have come across this before with a mates E39.

Disconnect battery for a decent period of time ( I left it off over night and all worked again once reconnected...)

It's never played up since....

Otherwise use Jochens navcoder to see what's going on. It has an emulator to diagnose a monitor fault etc...

Good luck...

Yeah forgot to add, I tried that first, also none of my scanners will gain access to the radio.

try these for a start

First do a visual check on the connector pins to your tuner and make sure the pins and the connector are seating correctly. If it doesn't clamp down properly this could be the source of the issue. (Which tuner do you have ? )

I'd check the 12v dir , 12v ACC power feeds at the Tuner connector first and then the earth connection . If voltage not present then this will be the issue or if no connection to ground.

Next would be the ibus signal wire. The voltage at the ibus should fluctuate between 0 to 12 volts . get someone to press the on / off button quickly a number of times . The tuner should be seeing the data signal that is telling it to turn off / on. If not the data signal isn't making it thru to tell the turner to switch on / off

Cheers neal, ill do this and report back

try these for a start

Yep... this ^

try these for a start

Ok so I checked this and you are correct, ive tested all the wires and just as you described I could see the current fluctuate when pressing the on off button, so it was sending a signal.

So I went and checked the connector pins at the radio module behind the back seat on the left and found one pins not seating correctly, a quick adjustment and the radio came to life :D:D

I feel like I should have checked this earlier haha, oh well live and learn. Cheers Neal

Right I got another question,

I got the factory sub box pt-65138360789 and am wanting to install it in my car.

There is what looks to be 4 twin twisted wires running into it 3 yellow and one blue.

any ideas on what id need to bridge them into to get it up and going?

For some reason I cant post pictures, says this where the attachments are...

Warning: date_default_timezone_get(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Pacific/Auckland' for 'NZST/12.0/no DST' instead in /srv/bimmersport.co.nz/bimmersport.co.nz/www/htdocs/forums/init.php on line 269

Anyway I got it working, there must be 4 speakers in the box, I cut and soldered the 8 wires into the 8 coming out of the amp and it works really well, theres a massive difference when plugged in compared to disconnected, very happy with the outcome.

...none of my scanners will gain access to the radio.

Here is your clue.

The KBUS signal isnt triggering the radio on signal from your display controller. Next this you need to do is unplug the battery and test the continuety between the KBUS input wire to the radio and where ever its terminating .. work back fromt here.

What is your radio module ... BM24 ? BM54 or 53 ?

Just bang the part number into here.

also use tinypic to post images .. make sure you create an account for your images to hang around longer than 15 days

Here is your clue.

The KBUS signal isnt triggering the radio on signal from your display controller. Next this you need to do is unplug the battery and test the continuety between the KBUS input wire to the radio and where ever its terminating .. work back fromt here.

What is your radio module ... BM24 ? BM54 or 53 ?

Just bang the part number into here.

also use tinypic to post images .. make sure you create an account for your images to hang around longer than 15 days

Cheers josh but the radio is all sorted now was just not connecting at the radio behind the back seat, someone's been in there before me by the looks of all the broken clips everywhere, the sub I installed is awesome it gives it that little more bass and mid in the rear.

Tinypic aye, ill have to look it up. I liked the system on here with all my pics already on here but I was playing with the settings now its all messed up. kinda why I haven't updated my project page on here, just sending it all to instagram.

Ok so I checked this and you are correct, ive tested all the wires and just as you described I could see the current fluctuate when pressing the on off button, so it was sending a signal.

So I went and checked the connector pins at the radio module behind the back seat on the left and found one pins not seating correctly, a quick adjustment and the radio came to life :D:D

I feel like I should have checked this earlier haha, oh well live and learn. Cheers Neal

Great that it was something like this. Any one of the three wires mentioned stops the tuner from powering up.

Having 2 + 4 speaker setup in the rear running Bass / mid bass should help to fill in the bottom end. Like the idea of the drivers being in the cabin rather than via air holes in boot or via transfer function inherent in cars.

Edited by Neal

someone's been in there before me by the looks of all the broken clips everywhere,

ahh yes, fiddlers ... its a common sight unfortunately.. people play around with out fully understanding the cause and effect. Too many times I see people treating later model BMWs as if they were a Toyota corolla when they should be thinking of the car as a computer network. Everything talks to everything on a common bus system. Once people understand that there are three main signals in model cars not just two then they wouldn't get themselves into so much strife. Power, Analogue and digital signals.