Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Arrghh.... Should I or shouldn't I?

Thinking about upgrading your BMW and thinking about money don't go in the same sentence. Upgrade is $$$ then further maintenence over and above $$$ if you want to stick to a budget upgrading a BMW isn't for you

Coming from a guy two projects down and counting

"Thinking about upgrading your BMW and thinking about money don't go in the same sentence. Upgrade is $$$ then further maintenance over and above $$$ if you want to stick to a budget upgrading a BMW isn't for you."

Andy's piece just about sums it up I have found out you do it for the experience and the love you have of the Idea and the money comes second. Things get misty when you think about it and start asking question then the doubt creeps in if this is the case then Do Not proceed as their will be that little voice in the back of your head saying told you so.

Andy's piece just about sums it up I have found out you do it for the experience and the love you have of the Idea and the money comes second. Things get misty when you think about it and start asking question then the doubt creeps in if this is the case then Do Not proceed as their will be that little voice in the back of your head saying told you so.

Haha! Don't I know it. Leaning towards incremental performance upgrades which was my original plan. Much as I would love to (and still hope to) supercharge the 540i, it's probably too big a risk at this stage since I've only had the car for a couple of months and really need to find out how stable the engine is and do any remedial stuff that needs doing before boosting it by 140bhp!

The purpose of the car was always to be a weekender with very occasional track use so I'm still going to upgrade, but incrementally means A) it's more affordable B ) will place less stress on the engine so that by the time I can supercharge I'll be confident in the engine's stability. It'll also give me time to improve the exhaust system, brakes, etc before the s/c goes in.

That said, there's a little devilish voice telling me "f*ck the money, your family won't starve, and the supercharger will be SO MUCH FUN!!!!" haha ;)

Edited by jeffbebe

Wouldn't a manual conversion be a better use of you funds for the fun factor?

Have had the manual conversion debate already! http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0&start=0

Going away for most of August so am going to ship my EGS to Dinan for the s/w upgrade then. Will be interesting to see what's it like.

Have had the manual conversion debate already! http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....t=0&start=0

Going away for most of August so am going to ship my EGS to Dinan for the s/w upgrade then. Will be interesting to see what's it like.

maybe i should send mine to you and get you to send it with yours. send me a PM with price etc if you get a chance? i havent had time to look into it

So you have an Angle like figure on one shoulder and a red coloured guy with a pitch fork thing ee on the other each having turns in your head telling you stories :lol:. It sounds like it's back to your original plan which gives you peace of mind and will allow for progress to be made on the car without raising the stress levels to much family wise and on the wallet. Would be interested to heard what these enhancements are and do could you keep us posted as you go through them thanks.

maybe i should send mine to you and get you to send it with yours. send me a PM with price etc if you get a chance? i havent had time to look into it

You have mail.

Just a thought re manual conversion - have you looked in to having an adaptor plate made to accommodate a gearbox other than the factory 6er Getrag? My understanding (though correct me if I'm wrong here) is the ZF 328i / M3 boxes are rated to handle 500hp and a fair measure of torques. It would still mean a modified prop shaft and linkages plus needing to space out the flywheel from the crank to allow the clutch to mate with the input shaft but it's all possible with a little fabrication. Possibly at a lower cost than trying to find an M5 trans too.

Would still have to find a new fly & clutch but I'm assuming you'd be using new parts there regardless.

Just a thought :)

Just a thought re manual conversion - have you looked in to having an adaptor plate made to accommodate a gearbox other than the factory 6er Getrag? My understanding (though correct me if I'm wrong here) is the ZF 328i / M3 boxes are rated to handle 500hp and a fair measure of torques. It would still mean a modified prop shaft and linkages plus needing to space out the flywheel from the crank to allow the clutch to mate with the input shaft but it's all possible with a little fabrication. Possibly at a lower cost than trying to find an M5 trans too.

Would still have to find a new fly & clutch but I'm assuming you'd be using new parts there regardless.

Just a thought :)

If I was the only driver of the car the manual conversion would be a certainty and I'd definitely explore options like this but as I'm not, the conversion's not possible so looking to get the best out of the auto trans. Feedback online for the Dinan s/w is very positive. Will definitely update once I've got it installed.

If in the foreseeable future you can afford not to have the cash on hand, I'd say do it.

But if there is any shred of doubt, don't do it mate. Nothing worse than needing the money you just spent.

If in the foreseeable future you can afford not to have the cash on hand, I'd say do it.

But if there is any shred of doubt, don't do it mate. Nothing worse than needing the money you just spent.

99% decided to wait and upgrade the car in stages.

Not doing it. Booked the car in with Ray for double Vanos overhaul. Remedial first - goodies later.

Smart choice. Haha totally against what I said before but deep in your heart you know you want that supercharger kit. Hahaha but yea. Smart and sensible choice.

Smart choice. Haha totally against what I said before but deep in your heart you know you want that supercharger kit. Hahaha but yea. Smart and sensible choice.

It'll happen... But might be a bit harder to under $15K! Still a few grand a year is way more affordable for me than $25-30K + bills for an M5.

Exactly.

And tbh I think your car looks great and although not an m5, I can see you are enjoying it a heap more than the old 528. So it's all good as it is for now.

It'll happen... But might be a bit harder to under $15K! Still a few grand a year is way more affordable for me than $25-30K + bills for an M5.

You can always duct tape a couple of SC14's on there. Cheap and Chav.