Sign in to follow this  
MilesP

Is this a good buy?

I need a tidy car that will be a good runner, fun to drive and economical.

I have a 318ti lined up for $2200. 147000kms in red with 17inch mags. Sunroof etc. Seems like a nice price. Will take it for a drive tomorrow and find out!

Any thoughts on these for that price point?

I would like to get one, save and convert to manual.

I have a 318ti lined up for $2200. 147000kms in red with 17inch mags. Sunroof etc. Seems like a nice price. Will take it for a drive tomorrow and find out!

What engine? What year?

Not really that economical no matter which engine. Personally would prefer an E36 318i saloon, slightly slower, just as economical but a lot quieter and smoother usually for about the same price.

Converted to manual the Ti would be quite a nice little car, then there would be the engine swap just down the track!

Is this the E36 ACS kitted one on trademe?

Is this the E36 ACS kitted one on trademe?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=615307727

This one here. I am very keen on it. I need a good tidy run about that is fun to drive. I would be saving for a manual converison. I have $1000 saved for a manual so would need another 8 - 900 :D

Those photos are nearly a year old. It was rough then, what does it look like now ??

Those photos are nearly a year old. It was rough then, what does it look like now ??

My thoughts exactly. I will need to check it out. I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

But at the end of the day if it is mechanically sound then 2200 doesn't seem to bad. I can work on those things myself and I love DIY projects. Especially on BMW because they are a joy to work on.

Is $2200 to much for its condition?

Its the M44 engine with nice wheels and the nice interior and traction control.

There are a ton of much better condition Ti's out there in the market, i would start with one of them if you are intending to spend money on things like manual conversions.

Starting with a rough one is going to just keep costing you money getting it to a decent standard.

I bought a 1995 or 1996 318ti a while back. Straight body and mint interior kms were around 130 something ish

Paid less than 1500.

Agree with others. There are better examples on the market for similar money.

I would keep looking. This one has cracked front bumper dented rear guard, wheels don't look great IMO and red is prone to fading more so than other colours I reckon.

I bought a 1995 or 1996 318ti a while back. Straight body and mint interior kms were around 130 something ish

Paid less than 1500.

Agree with others. There are better examples on the market for similar money.

I would keep looking. This one has cracked front bumper dented rear guard, wheels don't look great IMO and red is prone to fading more so than other colours I reckon.

Fair enough. I will take it for a test drive anyway so that I have something to compare it to.

If it is a MINT runner and in perfect condition apart from the bumper and rear guard would it be worth it? Or just not worry about it.

I'm always the one to beat the drum for economy; and I assure you that a 318ti will use less fuel than a 328. Factory figures support it, personal experience supports it etc.... This is provided that you aren't a fool trying to get 328 speed from a 318 with a lead foot. In this case, anything will use a lot of fuel.

Dent on the red one looks nasty. You can do better I would say.

If you really want a ti, put feelers out for a NZ new AC schnitzer kit/exhaust manual.

That's basically my point. I really doubt that a car with these kind of nasty dents and damages will actually be a "mint runner" but that's speculation and assumptions. I think it's not worth it even if it was in good mechanical condition because those aesthetic flaws will cost you a fair amount. I would rather find one that's mint looking, then spend money and work on the engine then swap trans for a manual rather than "hope" it's mint and spend money on panel beating and paint to later find that the engine is buggered.

Hope I'm making sense using a phone to type can't be bothered to check what I wrote :P

Well the car was a piece of sh*t.

The seller was rude and un motivated. I said has it been service recently and his response was "Nah".

Appeared ok but drove it and said nah and he got very aggressive <_<

Ah well onwards and upwards!

There are plenty of compacts around. What's your budget? Why not go for a e36 318is coupe?

Or if u can stretch the budget then definitely buy muxout's one for sale. Looks amazing

I just took a 1993 318i for a drive and it was in almost perfect condition. It was incredibly tidy and well presented. Done 98000kms and drove like it was new.

Would be a great e36 base to convert to manual in future and install an m44 into.

Rare to find a 93 model that drives well! But with those kms, a lot of things should need attention soon possibly

Rare to find a 93 model that drives well! But with those kms, a lot of things should need attention soon possibly

Water pump and belts etc huh?

This car is near perfect both body and interior.

Great low kms, and if the condition reflects them then go for it. So it may want service items, carry them out and have a 105km car in perfect nick!

:D

Great low kms, and if the condition reflects them then go for it. So it may want service items, carry them out and have a 105km car in perfect nick!

:D

Yup. I bought it. By Christchurch prices I think it was a good deal. 3k

Does need thermo doing but otherwise I can't fault it.