Sign in to follow this  
dreamkast

New tyres for 17" Msport Rims

Hey guys, just wondering whats the best affordable option for retyring a few of these wheels.

Posted Image

I can never remember the rims measurements so just decided to post up a pic seen you guys will know :)

Well you probably want to go for a 225 or 235 width, 45 or 50 profile and obviously 17" diameter.

Now "best" and "affordable" don't really go together when talking about tyres.

You have a few options

1. Buy new but a cheaper brand such as Achilles, nexen, sagitar, these would probably cost between $100-150 each.

2. Buy new decent brand such as falken FK452, toyo proxes4, Dunlop direzza etc $150-200?

3. Save up and buy new good brand and actually look after them. Will last longer and be safer and ride better. Michelin pilot sport, Bridgestone potenza, goodyear eagle f1, continental contact sport, etc. probably cost $250+ easily

4. Have a look on trademe for a decent brand in secondhand condition, if it's cheap enough might be worth it.

(Things to look out for in secondhand tyres: camber wear, uneven tread wear, sidewall damage, puncture repair, and also check the "load rating" I think E36 should require a load rating of 90+)

Finally, shop around for the brand and size you want. Some places do specials and you could find something good for a bit of a discount.

Also remember to get the wheels balanced and get a wheel alignment done too.

Hope this helps

Neuton nt5000's or Kumho Zetum ZU37's are probably the best budget ($150ish) tyres around!

I Paid 270 per tyre for Pirelli P7s a year or so ago.

Posted Image

Neuton nt5000's or Kumho Zetum ZU37's are probably the best budget ($150ish) tyres around!

Sweet, Mag and Tyre didnt seem to have these in stock. Could any recommend some where in Auckland, preferably North Shore (not essential) that would stock these or something similar.

Bridgestone Potenza RE002? They are more the entry level tires in the Potenza range but still a good tires.

As a budget option I've used federal 595 seemed pretty good on our shitty roads

Dont buy budget tyres.

buy a set of second hand quality tyres if you can't afford/justify buying new.

I have Potenza RE001s all round on my E34 Touring, they have now been replaced by the RE002. I wouldnt buy anything else now. Front ones have been on since only a few months after i purchased the car about 4 years ago, have done easily 10 or more trips to auckland and back plus all my driving around here and they are only about half worn. Rear my car eats them about a quarter into my second set on the back, camber and LSD make quick work of that even when it was a 520i but any BMW is like that on the back really.

RE001 were a decent tyre and im sure RE002 are good but id also consider them to be at the lower end when it comes to the Potenza tyre range, we seem to miss out on alot of the other options here in NZ.

There is a lot to be said for decent tyres.

I brought a set of alloys for our old SUbaru with Achilles on them...

Would you believe: they wife got a puncture and drove home on it, knackered the tyre, so I got another new one to match. Then in the folowing 15,000 kms, got 8 more punctures! I wondered what she was doing. I couldn't be f'd with the cheap peices of crap, so put Bridgestone MY-01's on. They're a pretty good touring tyres, and never had a puncture in them, even with the Mrs driving all the same places.