Sign in to follow this  
rxhoon

new E46 project engine Ideas

Hi I have just brought myself a 318 E46 that I am going to build into a road legal track car.

I am looking for suggestions /opinions on engines.

A Few Ideas going through my head are.

BMW V8

Turbo BMW 6cyl (unsure what is best engine to do this to)

Ford XR6 Turbo

LS1 V8

Also good rear end conversions would be helpful .

I am new to the BMW game but have built a few cool cars before

Cool plan.

I guess the first thing, is what's your budget?

First thing that comes to mind above all those motors would be a 2JZ-GTE, single turbo suited for track use. Easily the best bang for buck out of all those engines & reliable, plenty of parts around...

It would be an easy conversion too, lots of space for custom mounts, exhaust manifolds etc.

For the engine you mentioned, I think:

While the BMW V8 would be good for the OEM appeal, there are better go fast engines out there cheaper to build up to make good power, that said an M5 V8 would be the best starting point if you went down that route - but expensive.

Turbocharging a BMW six, while many have got good results, the tilted six design means you have a really complicated exhaust setup and very close to the right strut tower etc, do able but something that makes it instantly harder for what gain?

XR6 Turbo engine, probably quite ideal, but they also fetch top dollar being newer motors. If you can pick one up for a good price it could work out well - that said I don't know too much about their track record when pushed hard.

LS1 V8, proven potential, but like the BMW V8 conversion or any V8 conversion theres a lot more work than the inline sixes, mainly with the exhaust manifolds, compact engine mounts and of course you will be limited to NA performance unless you go for a supercharger...

I suppose it comes down to how much power you want at the end of the day. No doubt you would have the build up the suspension with aftermarket gear suited for M3s etc... custom drive shaft to handle the power and run the biggest 210mm BMW diff type.

depends how far your budget stretches.

most often its cheaper to buy an m3 or similar than convert engines in, especially a 318I

to start with you will not really be able to reuse the brakes or rear end if you are going for a track car

have a read of some of the threads on here to figure out what you really need to do.

the thread on compact rally car should help you.

my sum up if you want to spend under 20K buy a 328, 330 or m3 and fettle it

if you want to spend over 20K you will only use the shell of the car really.

The budget is fairly open at this stage but still want to keep things under control.

Car will be getting fully stripped and full cage

pedal box hydraulic hand brake etc

I have just been offered a vanos V8 out of a 540i that has been hot but still runs fine for very cheep are these any good?would they suit a twin turbo setup?

I think I would like to go down the BMW path at this stage as I have seen many highly tuned BMW's yet looking for over 500rwhp

Here is the last car I built

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=620043879

And the one I built before the rx2 was this rx7

http://www.photomassive.net/2011/11/automo...d-milbanks-rx7/

Gives you a bit of an idea I try to build my cars well and not talking sh*t.

The budget is fairly open at this stage but still want to keep things under control.

Car will be getting fully stripped and full cage

pedal box hydraulic hand brake etc

I have just been offered a vanos V8 out of a 540i that has been hot but still runs fine for very cheep are these any good?would they suit a twin turbo setup?

I think I would like to go down the BMW path at this stage as I have seen many highly tuned BMW's yet looking for over 500rwhp

Here is the last car I built

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=620043879

And the one I built before the rx2 was this rx7

http://www.photomassive.net/2011/11/automo...d-milbanks-rx7/

Gives you a bit of an idea I try to build my cars well and not talking sh*t.

very nice rx's

the vanos v8 make good power and torque .

they are a few supercharger kits out there for them.

i have one for that runs ok , except it has worn timing chain guides etc , maybe use the parts from your cooked one to fix this one up.

cheers brent

Ok I think I have decided to go down the BMW engine path

Is the BMW M52B25 Engine a good option for turbo charging will obviously drop compression with forged pistons head studs forged rods etc

Or is there a better base to start with.

I think I would prefer the turbo six over the v8 option

Also does the front sub frame (cross-member) need to be change to fit the six into the 318?

Thanks for you help guys I haven't picked the car up yet so working a bit blind for a week.

I know I'm a bit slow out of the blocks, but my 2c, for something a bit different...

Either a Toyota 3RZ + Turbo, OR

A stroked 4G63 (2.3l Crower / HKS kit or the cheapo 4G64 crank).

Looking forward to see what you conjure up, your rota's looked pretty schmick!

You can get mild boost out of the m52bXX engines. Theyre Alloy block so cant handle high boost so well. What you want is an m50b25 out of a 525i e34 or an s50b30 or s38. Those are the BMW engines that you boost.

Or be different s14b23 with modified EVO turbo.

turbo an m50 block with dual vanos head. Depending on the power your after you might not want to go for forged internals

you could put an m3 back end in. should do the job

Pretty sure the m50 block and dual vanos (m52tu/m54) heads dont mix. All 3 series m5x, and most 5 series, engines are bolt in.

Big extend port 20b would be the business.

Pretty sure the m50 block and dual vanos (m52tu/m54) heads dont mix.

Correct

As much as i hate being on here in regards to the m50b25 turbo mine got its base tune on the weekend only running 5psi for testing purposes.

Motor is pretty wild and made 5psi by 4800 rpm which i was happy with since it'll run to 8500, car still responsive well before that plenty of torque until you get to 5k....its gets pretty interesting.

I'm pretty sure the rear bumper hit the road and starts to get tad fish taily hits 8k pretty quick each gear change, and yes it was on private roads for those about to have a cry.

Small oil leak to fix and change gate settings to 10psi but it needs a bigger fuel system in the back so thats next before another run.

As is mentioned i wouldn't do a ally block its not so much high boost its heat and pulling head bolts/studs

Not too much modifying is needed to put a the dual vanos front onto a single vanos head.

If anybody wants any more info, photos(or maybe to buy it off me) pm me.

i would get it caged, suspension done and 6cyl put in, you can then work out any issues and turbocharge at a later date.

with how little room there is you can expect to spend as much time on the turbo setup as the rest of the car.

Not too much modifying is needed to put a the dual vanos front onto a single vanos head.

If anybody wants any more info, photos(or maybe to buy it off me) pm me.

Well, there ya go. Gotta wonder weather it's worthwhile or easier to up the boost a psi or 2?

the goal was to make it a more efficient engine. If it spools up faster as well i'd be happy.

It is a lot of work for what some might consider a minimal gain

if you get minimal gain from any turbo setup your doing it very wrong

I should've worded it better, I was meaning adding the extra vanos units on the front would give minimal gain to a turbo'd m50/4.

I should've worded it better, I was meaning adding the extra vanos units on the front would give minimal gain to a turbo'd m50/4.

+1

Ok

So looking at a E34/E36 M50TUB25 MOTOR on Trademe would this be a good start for turbo build up (forged pistons rods etc)

Also is there a good strong BMW gearbox or am I better of looking at other options

same with the diff is the large case a bolt into the std rear subframe or better to buy a complete m3 rear end if I can find one?

Looking for at least 600rwhp now

Thanks for all you help

Will be removing one from my 1993 e36 coupe once I find a buyer. Will include loom, ecu etc. PM me

Ok

So looking at a E34/E36 M50TUB25 MOTOR on Trademe would this be a good start for turbo build up (forged pistons rods etc)

Also is there a good strong BMW gearbox or am I better of looking at other options

same with the diff is the large case a bolt into the std rear subframe or better to buy a complete m3 rear end if I can find one?

Looking for at least 600rwhp now

Thanks for all you help

zf 5 speed should hold up for awhile.

Found in 3l m3's and manual 328's(e36)

Bit of a change of heart have brought a xr6 turbo engine for it and going to run a dogbox.

What is the best Diff to look at for it and is it just a matter of changing the head/housing or better to change the whole rear subframe?

Thanks

Bit of a change of heart have brought a xr6 turbo engine for it and going to run a dogbox.

What is the best Diff to look at for it and is it just a matter of changing the head/housing or better to change the whole rear subframe?

Thanks

With an engine putting out that much torque, you are best off doing an E46 M3 rear-end swap.

Has the bigger 210mm diff, but can't imagine it being easy to find the complete rear-end.

Make sure you get plenty of pics up for us!!