Sign in to follow this  
central3

FCAB’s + shift knob + contrast stitching + muffler

The car is off the road for a bit of work. Tristan made me want to change my too tall gear knob. Brought his handbrake handle, a new knob ex ECS and a set of boots from the UK.

I liked the look of the white stitching so much that I decided to do a white stitch on all of the seats and door panels. Very slow work.

My front control arm bushes were a bit of an unknown so decided to change them out.

Also looking for a bit more sound from my exhaust so am in the process of "gutting"

Edited by central3

I love how clean your cars underside is. I imagine you avoid wet weather driving? Haha.

Have you changed anything inside the exhaust?

The car is off the road for a bit of work. Tristan made me want to change my too tall gear knob.

Woops... :)

That handbrake looks much better in your car than it did in mine.

Your gaiters and the gear knob look great too!

Wow the stitching looks great. Must've been a PITA to do though?

Looks great both in and under the car! Nice work

Did you DIY it?

May I enquire as to where you got your gaiters?

Edited by Tristan

Excellent job. Car looks pristine. Must get some tips on how to get the undercarriage so clean!

Wow the stitching looks great. Must've been a PITA to do though?

PITA yes but quite satisfying (so far). It was slow going for a start but once into the swing of things I can do around 1.6 meters per hour. There is almost 2 meters in a headrest and 5.4 meters in a front seat! All up around 26 meters in the car so I have around 16 hours work here (plus removal and refitting of the interior. My wife thinks I am nuts but as per the forum mentioned below she does like telling people that I am home sewing. Felt out of place in Spotlight :rolleyes:

Did you DIY it?

May I enquire as to where you got your gaiters?

Hi Tristan - I saw this here . I will post some photos of my method but it is pretty much what these guys are doing. You can see it is more lacing rather than stitching. I found a straight needle is better than a curved one. I also did a "loop and knot" on the first and last stitch rather than just knotting the thread. Leaves a bit of a lump but easily hidden by colouring the not (just used a vivid marker)

Got the boots here . Very prompt service. I brought 2 sets (the second is plain black) and all up cost NZD99 delivered

Excellent job. Car looks pristine. Must get some tips on how to get the undercarriage so clean!

If you really want to know have a look at this . Makes the stitching feel like a walk in the park!

Edited by central3

If you really want to know have a look at this . Makes the stitching feel like a walk in the park!

I did want to know... But have realised I would be biting off far more than I can chew. If I take the suspension and exhaust system off I'm not convinced I could put it back again!!! Would love my car to be half as clean as yours (in fact it probably is exactly half as clean - top and the inside spotless, engine okay and underneath a hot mess!!).

Anyway, credit where credit's due - I admire your skill, patience and commitment!!

Exaust internals done - could find any stainless short radius bends in NZ so had to fabricate

Have stiched both front seat and all headrests - 1 door card done today. The stitching was a lot tighter so I did one contrast stitch for every 2 OEM stitchs - looks good

Very interested to hear how the exhaust sounds! Looks damn good, along with your stitching.

Got the exhaust welded up and fitted. Very surprised that there is little difference between stock sound and modified. It will be breathing easier though. I will probably have another go - this time I will open up the first 2 sections and see what I can do there. Contrast stitched interior back in - quite a subtle difference but has modernised I think.

Edited by central3

NICE.

I thought I saw a speck of dust there for a minute.....

..... it was just on my screen though.

NICE.

I thought I saw a speck of dust there for a minute.....

..... it was just on my screen though.

LOL - had me worried for a while there - OCD has taken hold

Did you fab those tips yourself?

Any shots of the rear of the car mounted up?

All looks tops :)

Is there anything that you can't do Paul??? Sawing and all!!! Good lord!!

I have a spare muffler sitting around when are you next up in Auckland : P

I bet that thing's more than loud now!!

Like Tristan ... did you fab the exhaust tips yourself?? If you did, you should start knocking them off and selling them on ebay!! The OEM tips are like $100 each and they dent almost too easily.

Like Tristan ... did you fab the exhaust tips yourself?? If you did, you should start knocking them off and selling them on ebay!! The OEM tips are like $100 each and they dent almost too easily.

I really "dislike" the tips on the E46 M3 (stock at least)

If I wasn't going to go down the aftermarket rear box road I would've bought these:

Posted Image

Can be found here: http://www.eurosportdesign.com/p-256-stain...haust-tips.aspx

$42USD EACH. And shipping is a fortune too.

Open market :P

I bet that thing's more than loud now!!

Cheers Tom - all joking aside my RH "bird" finger is still recovering from pushing needles - it hurts. Also the exhaust sound is pretty much unchanged. I reckon there is less rasp and the tone is a little deeper but thats it. I will be having another go - this time working on the 2 front sections.

They are actually the stock tips but with a stainless steel insert to give them a thicker rolled look.

I really "dislike" the tips on the E46 M3 (stock at least)

If I wasn't going to go down the aftermarket rear box road I would've bought these:

Yeah I looked at these too (ex UK = NZD400 landed). I was going to make my own but they are 75mm in diameter and I thought they would look OTT

So had another go at the rear box - this time pulled a skunk out of section 2 of the box - I think this has done the job - sound quite deep and is an improvement over standard without giving any drone inside the cabin

post-3258-0-29657200-1381035222.jpg

Edited by central3