Sign in to follow this  
DunedinDan

86 E30 318i wont start

Cranked the car over this morning and it started as it normally does, i gave the throttle a quick blip to clear it's throat which is when there was a huge crack/bang from the engine bay (sounded left hand side) and the car then promptly died. Tried to restart and it cranks but wont catch (with persuasion and a little gas it will catch then die straight away. )

When I lifted the hood I caught a whiff of 'something' electrical, checked fuses but none appear to be blown.

a bit of back ground, the alternator belt squeaks on start up sometimes and the battery light wont turn off until the car is revved a bit. Unsure if this is of relevance, it's really the only thing odd that the car does.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

If you need someone to have a look I can always pop around one day before work.

If you need someone to have a look I can always pop around one day before work.

That would be awesome. Sometime closer to the end of the week? I only had a short amount of time to look at it this arvo , so tomorrow i'll have a proper look and make sure all the intake lines are still attached/in one piece (am wondering if the bang was a back fire in the intake system.

Would definitely help to have someone that knows their way around a BMW though.

I get wednesday and thursdays off... but I'm probably busy on thursday. can do friday arvo or something.

I get wednesday and thursdays off... but I'm probably busy on thursday. can do friday arvo or something.

Friday could be a goer. Will PM you closer to that to make sure it's still all good.

Maybe you can find my flywheel in that time? :rolleyes:

I hope so. I haven't dug out a truck cab load of sh*t yet... there's literally no room. <.<

I haven't even found all of my OBD1 sensors my dad lost even.

I can send you my flywheel if I have to. not like I can even get to my car as it's....

COVERED IN f**kING FURNITURE.

It wouldn't matter if you could get to it, you'd still get no work done hahaha

Dizzy cap.

And I actually think it's the correct answer this time.

Dizzy cap.

And I actually think it's the correct answer this time.

YEah I second that. Happened to me in my '85 318I, moisture in the dizzy cap.

YEah I second that. Happened to me in my '85 318I, moisture in the dizzy cap.

So it starts now, for all of about 4 or 5 seconds, then stalls. If i try to apply a bit of gas it stalls straight away.

Pulled of the distributor cap and it looked ok to me.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So it starts now, for all of about 4 or 5 seconds, then stalls. If i try to apply a bit of gas it stalls straight away.

Pulled of the distributor cap and it looked ok to me.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pulled off the afm today and something was immediately wrong in that the bottom of the afm had seperated from the rest of the apperatus. Ran some sealer around the rim of it all and then put it all back together. Car starts now and will rev up but if left idle will just die.

Pulled off the afm today and something was immediately wrong in that the bottom of the afm had seperated from the rest of the apperatus. Ran some sealer around the rim of it all and then put it all back together. Car starts now and will rev up but if left idle will just die.

unplug the ecu, or remove the positive lead from the battery, wait a few minutes and then put it back together, now see what happens

The AFM has been damaged by a back fire. It's probably bent the vane causing it to stick. Get a new AFM and then check for the backfire issue. It may have also caused a manifold hose or vacuum hose to blow off as well causing the idle issue

Edited by *Glenn*

unplug the ecu, or remove the positive lead from the battery, wait a few minutes and then put it back together, now see what happens

What will that do ?

The AFM has been damaged by a back fire. It's probably bent the vane causing it to stick. Get a new AFM and then check for the backfire issue. It may have also caused a manifold hose or vacuum hose to blow off as well causing the idle issue

Will check over vacuum/intake lines tomorrow. Balancing the throttle on 1200rpm the car has developed a miss fire as you have suggested, car is expelling alot of unburnt fuel, at least it certainly smells that way.

Oh f**k, Sorry I totally forgot I was going to dig my spare AFM out for you.

I'll do it tomorrow.. and remind me because I'm retarded.