Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

E34 Touring resto progress

So, the E34Touring I had obtained is less than perfect, here's the list of things I need to do immediately.

1. Heater core leaking (bad a/c smell and misting of the the windscreen exactly at the centre dash vents):- the system could have been replaced in the past, and here's hoping that the o-rings are just shot.

2. headlining drooping : blast the massive one piece

3. road noise, drivers door rubber is worn in one section:- replacements out of the question as the colour of the lining is rare, so repair foam somehow, using foam spray/plasti dip?

4. rear windscreen washer bottle pump is leaking- change seals?

List to be updated as time goes by.

try replacing the cabin filter. its probably clogged with all sort of crap and probably a source of smell too?

headliner is $800+GST ex germany, but that was before E34 went onto "classic" pricing. Probably still some stupid thing.

The front door rubbers are the same as sedan for sure, the rear ones are different (touring ones about 1-2" longer than sedan, you can use sedan, but come away abit at the 90 degree bend by the rearmost part of the opening, if that makes sense). There is also another rubber piece that goes along the bottom of the door, visible from the outside of the vehicle when door closed, could also be that, it goes missing on quite a few E34s

^ i know what you mean by the 90 degree bend gap, i think the car has it on all corners.... need to look at that lower door piece...

Going to do a full groom and leather resto today, along with the filter replacement and eyeballing the heater core.

3.00pm:- I..uh... dropped the rear seat backs too low without the seat bottoms and now I cannot bring it bring it back up as the mechanism seems to have locked up, will research the ways to open it.

5.00pm:- Fixed the locking mechanism.... good ol' Mr.Hammer and Ms.Screwdriver worked wonders!

Edited by The Juggernaut

My cabin air filter made the AC/Heater stink also.

Doesn't stink any more.

Mine also mists when you leave the AC on and park the car for short amounts of time (could be the moisture on the evaporator??)

Edited by antil33t

^ I am hoping it's that ... the cabin filter seems to be hell to get to, for RHD cars... I'm hoping it's the moisture in the evaporator... otherwise oops. Will first check if I have lost any cooling fluid tomorrow... I checked this morning and none was lost...

Also Postponing the leather clean .... vacuuming the insides of the car really is draining.... i have never seen so much white dog hair in my life! It was even in the battery and fuse chamber...

Edited by The Juggernaut

heh, the amount of gunk in the car has led me to believe that I definitely need to replace my cabin micro filter. Getting to it though, has been hell. I have effectively removed the dash (below the dash board) and the centre console, if this is the time to upgrade, so be it... I sure hope i can put it back together.

Having spent most of the morning on my knees, I am going to follow this-> http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/34073-cabin-...allation-guide/. However, I do not have the replacement filters in hand. :sigh:

Posted Image

I think mines got same problem, so I'll sit on fence, eat popcorn, see how ya go with yours first - keep us in da loop on it ae..... :)

Ripping it all to bits to get in there, sounds VERY anti-fun already...........

Actually Phil, the centre console needn't have come out, just the bits under the steering wheel. I went for the centre console because I am checking my heater core too. and am contemplating putting this in http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=629078876

6:19pm Thinking twice about retrofitting an OBC, seems like too much of a hassle sourcing the temperature sensor. will probably let it be, installing it sometime in the future.

Edited by The Juggernaut

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111411

Sensor is a piece of piss to find :P

I did an OBC retrofit, the easiest thing ever. You'll want the stalk too. the early stalks can be modified easy to work with the later cars.

only thing I couldn't be bothered with is the horn for the OBC, which just means the alarm function has a horn to be all noisy and sh*t which nobody would use anyway.

Also the OBC can be installed/removed without removing that panel... it has a little button on the right side of it's housing.

the clock housing will have to be either replaced with the OBC panel or just get a wee hacksaw blade and cut the back of it off to accommodate the (larger) OBC.

I think I had to splice a wire or something, but nothing too hard.

Edited by antil33t

Daten für die Fahrgestellnummer: WBAHJ62020GD13364

Modellbezeichnung: 525I

Ausführung: Europa

Typschlüssel: HJ62

E-Code: E34 (2)

Karosserie: touring

Lenkung: rechts

Türen: 5

Motor: M50 - 2,50l (141kW)

Antrieb: Heckantrieb

Getriebe: automatisch

Außenfarbe: OXFORDGRUEN METALLIC (324)

Innenraum: LEDER BISON/PERGAMENT (L1PE)

Produktionsdatum: 26.01.1996

Werk: Dingolfing

Code Sonderausstattung Optional Equipment

S243A

Airbag Beifahrer Airbag for front passenger

S255A

Sport-Lederlenkrad Airbag Sports leather steering wheel

S288A

BMW LM Rad Kreuzspeiche 29 BMW light alloy wheel, cross spoke 29

S306A

Fernbedienung für Zentralverriegelung Remote control for central locking

S339A

Shadow-Line Shadow-Line

S385A

Dachträgersystem ROOF RACK SYSTEM

S411A

Fensterheber elektrisch vorne/hinten Window lifts,electric,front/rear

S431A

Innenspiegel automatisch abblendend Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S438A

Edelholzausführung Fine wood trim

S498A

Kopfstützen im Fond mechanisch Headrests, rear, mechanically adjustable

S534A

Klimaautomatik Automatic air conditioning

S548A

Kilometertacho Kilometer-calibrated speedometer

S687A

Radiovorbereitung Radio preparation

S806A

Dritte Bremsleuchte Third stoplamp

S818A

Batteriehauptschalter Battery master switch

S925A

Versandschutzpaket Transport protection package

I did not realise those were "options" they seem pretty standard these days :lol: I am missing the roof rack system though :sigh:

most of it was standard then too, just specifies whats needed for what market. i.e. high stop light and KPH speedo. and what trim to use.

i dont spot anything overly optional being selected.

i dont spot anything overly optional being selected.

So the "SE" in the model registration means little. Just the full electric seats, leather, Klimatekontrol, Shadowline, and perhaps the roof racks.

Interior in bits, waiting for quotes for some filters and a rear washer pump to come through. I had initially thought of refinishing the pump with a gasket sealant, but spending $10 on repairing a $46 dollar part seems ridiculous especially it is just a "bandaid" solution.

I have also booked gtstarped's OBC and sensors from the M5 he was parting out. I hope to collect it on Friday or early Saturday morning, before I put the whole thing back together. I have also decided to splice an always on three port 12V lighter port through the centre console, as it is already accessible.

I have yet to inspect the heater core as I do not have the cable ties needed to put it back together. :sigh: Having an old car is fun if you like putting it back together.

SE means sports equipment but usually its consists of a different steering wheel and other trim items, nothing to major and nothing performance orientated

I see,

Thanks for the info Jason!

5.48pm: GOOD NEWS! the rear washer pump is fixed! (cleaned out the contacts, and voila! it works fine ... ) I just need to get part #61661365657 which is the rubber grommet that goes below the pump. The rubber has perished ever so slightly, so it leaks out whenever the water level is too high for the seal to hold. looking around to source the part, or may even use a silicon sealant.

Edited by The Juggernaut

my 520i Wagon is registered as an SE, not sure if it is though it was poverty pack as they come though. i couldn't find a single option on it, even basic cloth seats, busdriver wheel etc

Got that OBC from gtstarped. Quick guys, he still has parts from the E34 M5 he is parting out, the shell is going to the crusher on Tuesday.

The OBC is deeper than the clock unit, so the housing has to be cut open. Secondly, the CD player has a different type of male pins compared to the tape deck, at first glance. I suppose I should try it out tomorrow to see if it is true. the IHKA controller is the same, except the older one is yellowed out.

Going to splice in that 3 port lighter unit, just need to know which is +ve and -ve :lol: (i have the Haynes manual for cars up to '91, hope that would help). Zip ties obtained, black rather than clear.

Rebuilding the glove flashlight will require some thinking, perhaps for another day.

Finally, I'll be able to get the whole thing back together..after I clean out the airconditioning system.

I see,

Thanks for the info Jason!

5.48pm: GOOD NEWS! the rear washer pump is fixed! (cleaned out the contacts, and voila! it works fine ... ) I just need to get part #61661365657 which is the rubber grommet that goes below the pump. The rubber has perished ever so slightly, so it leaks out whenever the water level is too high for the seal to hold. looking around to source the part, or may even use a silicon sealant.

Sounds like you're having fun with it Jeevee - it's now becoming a bit more 'yours' ae with little mods like the OBC etc. :) It terms of new bits that you're putting in, like filter etc - where are you sourcing them from?? My local dealer isn't inspiring me much really in terms of parts - if I had 80k to drop on a new BMW tomorrow, there's high odds the $$ would get spent elsewhere actually, as bar the scenery @ reception, they're not really spinning my wheels much for me so far..........who else is worth a go??

Sounds like you're having fun with it Jeevee - it's now becoming a bit more 'yours' ae with little mods like the OBC etc. :) It terms of new bits that you're putting in, like filter etc - where are you sourcing them from?? My local dealer isn't inspiring me much really in terms of parts - if I had 80k to drop on a new BMW tomorrow, there's high odds the $$ would get spent elsewhere actually, as bar the scenery @ reception, they're not really spinning my wheels much for me so far..........who else is worth a go??

Haha yes indeed, I am attempting to get some parts from http://www.milland.co.nz/ , They are supposed to be quite good, paul@milland.co.nz should be able to provide you with much parts. Otherwise, Forum sponsors like euro Italian and forty one automotive is good too.

So the "SE" in the model registration means little. Just the full electric seats, leather, Klimatekontrol, Shadowline, and perhaps the roof racks.

in 199x it would have been less common,its pretty std stuff for a 5 series these days

80k? your car would have been prolly closer to 150k new

80k? your car would have been prolly closer to 150k new

maybe in todays money

Got the sword out to day and VOILA! there was no filter lol! just a burning leaf and other sh*t, the source of my troubles. must have broken a clip for the cover, boy was it a pain in the arse to put it back, it wobbles about a little, then again the cover does flex. the sword is amazing.

on the other hand, I broke more clips for the "locking" connectors... :sigh: they are getting brittle eh?

Anyway, the filters do not arrive for a while, so I will be putting it back together, even though I have yet to view the heater core. (that will have to wait i suppose, there is no need for it at the moment).

Tomorrow, the leather clean will continue.

Project cars are ongoing aren't they, :D