Sign in to follow this  
amdaman

Removing thick tar off alloys?

Hi guys,

Cleaned my car the other day and noticed thick tar buildup on the alloys.. Not just dots but heaps of it. Took it to the cleaners and their acidic alloy cleaner didn't touch it.

Went and bought some alloy cleaner and wd40 today, hardly made a dent! Is there anything that will dissolve large amounts of this stuff easily?

I used Jif once. That helped to get rid of the most stubborn stuff. There is also special tar remover / paint cleaner out there that does a reasonable job.

Thereafter just use elbow grease and clean regularly.

Edited by C-130 Hercules

I found kero and turps works quite well. If WD40 isn't working though, not sure how much help that'll be.

Jif.. Interesting!

You could see the wd40 was trying to do its think but there was simply too much tar!

Have used petrol and an old cloth put the petrol on the cloth and start rubbing the petrol dissolves the tar then use another cloth to wipe away what is left over. Just be careful not to over due it or the clear coat may suffer.

White spirits, wipe it on, leave for 5 mins and wipe off!

...wipe it on, leave for 5 mins and wipe off!

There is the secret - wait, while it soaks.

Heat gun/hair dryer to soften the tar, then use a solvent or wd40, soak and then elbow grease!

Hi guys,

Cleaned my car the other day and noticed thick tar buildup on the alloys.. Not just dots but heaps of it. Took it to the cleaners and their acidic alloy cleaner didn't touch it.

Went and bought some alloy cleaner and wd40 today, hardly made a dent! Is there anything that will dissolve large amounts of this stuff easily?

Simple - turps + let it soak + soft faced scraper + turps + let it soak + wipe off

Thanks guys, will go to bunnings and spend some quality time with my alloys this weekend!

• Like 1

Have used petrol and an old cloth put the petrol on the cloth and start rubbing the petrol dissolves the tar then use another cloth to wipe away what is left over. Just be careful not to over due it or the clear coat may suffer.

This. Petrol eats tar!

Make sure you wear gloves and try not to smoke when doing it.

Thanks guys, will go to bunnings and spend some quality time with my alloys this weekend!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm - quality time with alloys - I've spent a few hours in the shed bonding with mine too...........

If you want to do it properly with out damaging paint or clear coats use Meguirs Tar and bug remover ..

It depends on how bad it is, the Meguires stuff or other wont work on some really bad baked on tar! A bottle of proper tar remover is worth having though, good to use on recent tar marks etc.

Depending on what the wheels are, if its layered on I'm guessing they are not that great a looked after a wheel anyway so petrol should not do any noticeable damage.

Kerosene would be my first try, then petrol.

DON'T USE PETROL ON BODY WORK THOUGH!

Kerosene works wonders. Be really careful with turps, as it's easy to chew through the clear. Plus it's best to use gloves with turps.

Regarding tar remover; I purchased some from Repco, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't just watered-down and pressurised turps. Certainly smelled the same.

thanks guys, just got some Kerosene and a spray bottle. I'm going to tackle it at the weekend.

I've been half tempted to get them refurbished but wondering who will do it as I believe the finish is polished.

Kerosene works wonders. Be really careful with turps, as it's easy to chew through the clear. Plus it's best to use gloves with turps.

Regarding tar remover; I purchased some from Repco, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't just watered-down and pressurised turps. Certainly smelled the same.

Beg to differ but I have been using turps to remove tar for a very long time - my paint/clear finish has never suffered - quite the opposite in my experience - I should have added though that my process is to wash the surface first and after rinsing off with water apply turps with a rag - allow time for the tar to soften then wipe over again with another turps sodden rag - wash again with soapy water - never used gloves but this may explain the 6th finger I have grown :huh:

• Like 1

I had to clean my entire Black A3 with white spirits due to tar from road works, paint work felt like 80 grit. The white spirits worked perfectly.

Beg to differ but I have been using turps to remove tar for a very long time - my paint/clear finish has never suffered - quite the opposite in my experience - I should have added though that my process is to wash the surface first and after rinsing off with water apply turps with a rag - allow time for the tar to soften then wipe over again with another turps sodden rag - wash again with soapy water - never used gloves but this may explain the 6th finger I have grown :huh:

Haha ok I stand corrected! I had an Audi years ago that I used turps to clean the boot, and a fair amount of clear came off with it. That car had serious issues however, so there may have been some corrosive material on the paint already.