Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

M42 cheap chip from ebay?

I'm thinking of chipping my 318is with one of those dodgy looking chips from Polandvakia that come up on ebay, has anyone had any experience / nightmares with any of these?

I'm thinking of chipping my 318is with one of those dodgy looking chips from Polandvakia that come up on ebay, has anyone had any experience / nightmares with any of these?

its an M42, what are you hoping to achieve, and what have you done already? that does help answer the question. is it manual?

and no, im not part of the anti-BMW-4cylinder group. I think the M42 is a good engine in the right car

Im pretty realistic about this, i dont expect big power gains (if any) its more of a curiousity thing. I have done the boy racer basics, pod filter and exhaust, its a manual and its my daily get to work car so reliability and economy are factors.

If i want to drive something fast i take out the 540, but if i can get 5hp for 100 bucks i'll give it a go, i just don't want to waste it if they are rubbish!

i just don't want to waste it if they are rubbish!

Pfffftt! Like that's ever stopped you before :P

Thats true, it won't be the dumbest thing i've ever spent $100 on!!

You never know, it might even work!

Thanks for that, I'll give it a shot.

Now i just need to dyno this bad boy so i know what difference it makes!

i used an ebay chip for an e30 went much better after but that was because it was a stroker which reacted well to the extra fuel i think from the chip, no problems at all though have a few friends running them with good results actually haha nothing amazing though...at all just a tad peppier but youll notice it

That was LAST saturday!

Pfff - no need for dyno, you'll be able to feel the difference - you'll have to start wearing a neck brace so ya don't get whiplash when ya take off ae. :D;):) Be careful it doesn't break loose & get away from ya....... :lol:

It'll be interesting to get feedback on what ya reckon the difference is though. Only thing I've ever chipped was a Ducati, & it screwed up bottom end running enough that I went back to standard in the end.....

Edited by Blue-540i

Update- ordered today, 14 days to arrive, so in 16 days or so i'll need 1 new tyre !! ;)

I have one of those stick to the windscreen accelerometer dyno things so i'll find a nice flat, straight bit of road with no traffic (i smell a tui ad) and do some numbers before and after.

I know its not as good as the real thing but it should show if there is any difference.

Update- looks like my chip has arrived, and i am "stuck" on the gold coast watching the dinosaur racing, sorry, supercars!!

There is something quite enjoyable about watching holdens and fords destroy each other!! Its just a pity there are no bmws to look at.

Looking forward to getting back and unleashing all those extra horses;)

Looks like i got a dud!!

Installed chip yesterday, car has no power, won't accelerate, and idles like a sack of schist!!

Put the factory chip in and it runs perfectly, i am hoping they have sent the wrong one and will sort it out, but i'm not holding my breath!!

Chalk this one up to experience.

Looks like i got a dud!!

Installed chip yesterday, car has no power, won't accelerate, and idles like a sack of schist!!

Put the factory chip in and it runs perfectly, i am hoping they have sent the wrong one and will sort it out, but i'm not holding my breath!!

Chalk this one up to experience.

D'oh!

I installed some chips today.

In my bellah!

D'oh!

I installed some chips today.

In my bellah!

Probably more usefull than the one i installed, at least you got a full bellah!

Apparently i have to disconnect the battery for 30 mins because the ecu remembers the program from the factory chip, sounds like a load of carp to me!!

Lol, get a refund. The software version on the chip will be incorrect. You could damage your engine