Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Engine bay cleaning

The M5's engine bay is a bit grotty from the leaking valve covers, and other general dirt from over the years. What's a good degreaser available in NZ that doesn't stink of diesel? And what do you guys use to 'dress the engine bay' ? Making the black plastics look nice and new again?

Personally, I'd get a really good professional steam clean first to get rid of the worst muck. I use the Meguiar's engine cleaner and Meguiar's Natural Shine for the plastic parts.

Perhaps we should organise a cleaning day, Martin? Might not be quite as fun as the dyno day but I'm keen to get my engine bay sparkling and happy to share cleaning products! hah

This is what I usually do with great results.

1. Spray the engine bay with WD40 through out, you may need to wipe some areas that are extra dirty.
  2. Cover key electrical areas with some small towels
  3. Hose the engine with a fine mist spray - don't over do it
  4. Remove small towels and spend 30 mins or so wiping the engine down to clean the surfaces
  5. Air compressor or blow vac the whole engine bay to remove excess water / wd40
  6. CRC silicone spray the engine bay sparingly, and wipe it around to give a nice finish

final.gif

Personally, I'd get a really good professional steam clean first to get rid of the worst muck. I use the Meguiar's engine cleaner and Meguiar's Natural Shine for the plastic parts.

Perhaps we should organise a cleaning day, Martin? Might not be quite as fun as the dyno day but I'm keen to get my engine bay sparkling and happy to share cleaning products! hah

Does the meguiars engine cleaner stink out the interior?

And your engine bay is already sparkling! haha

Does the meguiars engine cleaner stink out the interior?

And your engine bay is already sparkling! haha

No, not really. I tend to only use it on the tough grease. Michael's method looks pretty spot on and good results. Haven't tried the silicone spray but I think that's what dealers do to keep the engine looking shiny. I use the Natural Shine on a cloth because I don't have a garage and silicone spray goes absolutely f*cking everywhere if you do it outside and completely covers the paint in overspray.

Your car looks like it does AND it sits outside???!!! I'll get Tui to drop ya a line - that's called 'taking the pi$$' just a little...................... :rolleyes:

I like Michael's way too - I certainly would be very selective in where I were to be pointing a water-blaster / steam cleaner in the engine bay area......

Your car looks like it does AND it sits outside???!!! I'll get Tui to drop ya a line - that's called 'taking the pi$$' just a little...................... :rolleyes:

I like Michael's way too - I certainly would be very selective in where I were to be pointing a water-blaster / steam cleaner in the engine bay area......

It's because I live in Ponsonby, mate. It rains scented Evian here.

Steam cleaning's very effective but best done by a pro IMO. I usually claim I've got an unidentified oil leak and get my mechanic to clean up for diagnosis ;)

• Like 2

Tinfoil also works well to cling over electrical areas or places you want to keep dry

It's because I live in Ponsonby, mate. It rains scented Evian here.

Steam cleaning's very effective but best done by a pro IMO. I usually claim I've got an unidentified oil leak and get my mechanic to clean up for diagnosis ;)

I had my 528i engine bay steam cleaned and it was impressive. Would rather put the elbow grease in myself, make an afternoon of it. In my previous experience though, most off the shelf degreasers stink the interior out of diesel, or what ever solvent in in the product, and with my new found sense of smell from not smoking, the 1 hour commutes to work and back home would suck.

I had my 528i engine bay steam cleaned and it was impressive. Would rather put the elbow grease in myself, make an afternoon of it. In my previous experience though, most off the shelf degreasers stink the interior out of diesel, or what ever solvent in in the product, and with my new found sense of smell from not smoking, the 1 hour commutes to work and back home would suck.

Fair enough. In which case I'd use Mike's methodology and I can bring over some Meguiar's for any tough spots. If you use it sparingly I don't think you'll need to worry about the smell.

Spent about 4 hours on Saturday attending to this. I found a good cleaner by the name of "oomph" available at bunnings for $8. Doesn't smell like diesel or solvents, and does a good job of getting rid of built up oil and dirt. Dressed the plastics with crc 808 silicone spray. Engine bay looking much tidier now. Job done!

Before :

vsgl.jpg

After :

enuy.jpg

Hokidoki - picture me off to Bunnings then when next in town...............might use a bit on the ride-on too & see if it'll turn into a John Deere.......... :lol::D

(Looks good!!)