Sign in to follow this  
RvT

Wheel Cleaner to remove Brake Dust

I bought some Wheel Cleaner and dust protector (Repco brand) and it is difficult to tell if it is just a placebo cleaner that I hope will save me time but I think it is just coloured water in a $20 - 30 plastic bottle.

Any recommendations for a product that actually removes the dust with minimal scrubbing? In a 2006 post, some talked about Mequires product while an other member recommended 'Desolvit'.

Cheers

all those wheel cleaners are slightly caustic,i just use car shampoo in wtaer and an appropriate brush.Every now and then i polish and wax

I use Mothers cleaner, buy it in bulk, it works really well.

http://www.mothers.co.nz/products-list/tire-wheel-care-products/foaming-wheel-tire-cleaner-3.78l.html

Either way you do need to get down and clean them by hand for ultimate results, I have found a soft brush makes light work of it.

Meguiar's All Wheel and Tire Cleaner is fantastic, it's safe on any clear coated wheels, and cleans your tyres at the same time. I use a small soft bristled brush to agitate if needed.

The range has specifically designed wheel cleaners for chrome, aluminum and multipiece wheels.

I agree with Blue 540...keep the damn things clean by not braking very often. But then again I`m not in a v8 so I`m a wee bit safer.

PS: I`m getting my front pads and rotors done next week by my local garage...( Victoria Street Motors in ChCh ...ask for Kev ) I`m going to try ceramic pads on Kev`s recommendation.. I don`t mind cleaning bird sh*t off my car once a week but doing the front wheels on a Sunday and having them buggered two days later is driving (!) me nuts.

• Like 1

At work we use a mix of a budget alloy cleaner and a mild acid in a spray bottle.

Spray it all over the wheel and waterblast off, too easy

ps, not sure how it goes on clear coated wheels?

Yeah, avoid acid-based cleaners. Meguiar's and Mother's cleaners both very good but make sure you get the right one for your wheel type, particularly if you have exposed aluminium.

Still need to clean them though... I do mine weekly to avoid heavy build up. Spray with Meguiar's All Wheel cleaner (which is safe on most wheel types), leave for a couple of mins, hose down, then wipe with a microfibre cloth. All up takes about 10 mins if you do it regularly, longer if you've let them get really dirty. About every six months I wax them when I do the rest of the car.

Wax on wheels will only last a couple of weeks so every six months is hopeless!

You could try a wheel sealant if you are fussy, this will make them easier keep clean.

Meguiar's All Wheel and Tire Cleaner is fantastic, it's safe on any clear coated wheels, and cleans your tyres at the same time. I use a small soft bristled brush to agitate if needed.
The range has specifically designed wheel cleaners for chrome, aluminum and multipiece wheels.

Can you buy it in bulk?

P.S say hi to Nigel in the warehouse, tell him he is a sell out for replacing his BMW with a Nissan ^_^

I hate brake dust, have never found it hard to clean off though. Warm water, car wash and a brush, even just the hose and a brush gets it off.

I agree with Blue 540...keep the damn things clean by not braking very often. But then again I`m not in a v8 so I`m a wee bit safer.

PS: I`m getting my front pads and rotors done next week by my local garage...( Victoria Street Motors in ChCh ...ask for Kev ) I`m going to try ceramic pads on Kev`s recommendation.. I don`t mind cleaning bird sh*t off my car once a week but doing the front wheels on a Sunday and having them buggered two days later is driving (!) me nuts.

I'd be interested in knowing how the ceramic pads go............

There is no substitute for good old fashioned elbow grease imo. I bought some Sonax wheel cleaner from autogeek to try (the stuff that turns red once it reacts with the brake dust) and it's not too bad, but expensive and hard to get.

Meguiars "Hot Rims" in the pink bottle.

Cleaning the basket weaves drives me mad, so only do it maybe 1x per month, and take the wheels of to clean the barrel maybe 2x a year.

I just used the cheap Warehouse wheel cleaner and a quick clean once a week, kept them looking good... I strongly reccomend getting low dust brake pads, the OEM pads are mothers for dust, since getting them for the e39 i only need to clean them once a month or so and even then it's more external dust than brake dust.

Wax on wheels will only last a couple of weeks so every six months is hopeless!

You could try a wheel sealant if you are fussy, this will make them easier keep clean.

Don't really need to wax them at all as I clean them regularly, just do it when I wax the bodywork.

Don't recommend using a brush on wheels that are painted though. You wouldn't brush clean any other painted part of your car.

True, but my body paint work isn't concave with 97 holes in it and 1 inch from the ground like a wheel, I will happily use a brush in my sills to save my lambs wool mitt!

I use one of these, its bristles are nice and soft at the end and the head is rubber edged so it does not damage anything, I get a year out of a brush and it does a great job, one of many tools that make my weekly detail ritual easy work.

http://www.mothers.co.nz/products-list/mlh-auto-brushware/deluxe-wash-brush.html

I still spray wax my wheels and polish with a microfiber cloth after drying and spray waxing the body work, have got the whole process down packed to three beers and a cigar (90 min in old measurement) once a week.

i use a brush too, sponge isn't effective enough. for the body that is

My AC Schnitzers on my wagon are easy to clean.

But i cant be bothered cleaning my bottle caps. they are stunning when they are done of course. But i wash the car on a Friday before the weekend I plan to use it, by Sunday arvo, filthy again. just give the faces a quick scrub but not in between the spokes.

Another reason I would never by any BBS wheels, especially RS

Ummmm, maybe some of you guys need to get out a bit more :rolleyes:

Opps, my bad - what I meant was theres certainly some interesting sounding solutions in there if you've got lots of time up your sleeve........ ;):D:)

Opps, my bad - what I meant was theres certainly some interesting sounding solutions in there if you've got lots of time up your sleeve........ ;):D:)

And style 42's are a pain in the arse to clean!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with looking after your car properly and protecting it.. and my car gets driven properly, its no garage queen, drive it harder than most but I look after it afterwards.

post-2549-13825171891701.jpg

• Like 1

And style 42's are a pain in the arse to clean!

Definitely true this bit!!! Novelty so wears off.............

Nothing wrong with looking after your car properly and protecting it.. and my car gets driven properly, its no garage queen, drive it harder than most but I look after it afterwards.

Nice pic - good effort there.............. ;):)

Edited by Blue-540i

Thanks all for feedback !!!

Carpro Iron x was an interesting suggestion but just read it can dull my painted calipers so will give it a wide berth. Might try the Mothers or the Maguires. With 305s on the rear, my poor dish brush has issues reaching the back of the rims hence the need for chemical assistance !!!

Yes I could avoid using the brakes but I didn't buy this car to cruz sedately around the countryside ...

Thanks all for feedback !!!

Carpro Iron x was an interesting suggestion but just read it can dull my painted calipers so will give it a wide berth. Might try the Mothers or the Maguires. With 305s on the rear, my poor dish brush has issues reaching the back of the rims hence the need for chemical assistance !!!

Yes I could avoid using the brakes but I didn't buy this car to cruz sedately around the countryside ...

I don't tend to cruise sedately, my theory being if you brake its only momentum you're got to build up again...... ;)

You live in Canterbury anyway - there are no corners there.........

I'd be staying away from those cleaners in 'pink bottles' mentioned in here though - that sorta $hit will clash with the red & black down there, & we don't want that...........!!! (I used to live there too....& still go back regulary....!!)