Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Getting rid of breakdust

Hey guys and girls

What is the most effective way of getting rid of breakdust.

My bottlecaps have a fair bit of breakdust on them and the only way to get it off seems to be to replace them.

Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

Once it's thru' the clearcoat/lacquer (whatever), you're pretty much screwed. Really hard to get out, which is why I clean the basket weaves with a toothbrush (no toothpaste tho'. there's a thought), much to the amazement of the neighbours.

Seriously toothpaste does work a charm ...

Some one told me to try it and it works well ..

oxalic acid works great, as does any other mag cleaning acid. Repco flog it off for $20 a spray container, which is the biggest ripoff in history.

we use some green sh*t at work which is a mix of acid and detergent, works a charm. for the ones that it doesnt work on because the dirt is more oil, we use pink stuff that has more detergent in it, and some other multi cleaners, and it works well.

Seriously toothpaste does work a charm ...

Some one told me to try it and it works well ..

Toothpaste contains some sort of very fine grinding paste. I was told to use it once to remove some fine scratches from glass and it worked. Also, Brasso will work quicker but all of these will eventually go through the clearcoat.

Be careful with acids, some will turn the clearcoat foggy. I use phosphoric acid to clean rims before I repaint them, mixed to about a 30% strength, and applied carefully with a toothbrush !!

Thanks for the email:

The Mag & Turbo Warehouse is an approved insurance repairer. We can perform wheel repairs and refurbishing for all types of alloy wheels including European (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche), American and Japanese.

Avoiding brake dust is as easy as not using your brakes. Anyone know a good pad compound/brand that really is dustfree or dust-resistant that is a good performing road pad?

I think you get them from that same place that has the magic tyres that

never wear out and have great grip.

I get asked for them all the time

one or the other thems your options

I changed the OEM pads cause the dust was prolific, fitted PBR metal master pads all round about 75% less dust so pretty significant, pads cost $30 US a pair, E-bay, they need to warm up a little and sqwark a little until theyre warm.