Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

Cirrusblau E30 Cabriolet Project Thread

Ok just had a look, the ones Marquis sent you are (as far as i can tell) not E30 projectors, and looking at my E34 parts car, they look very very similar to the ones on that with the much longer mounting tabs, so possibly from one of those. E34 and E32 headlight clusters are the same across both chassis and all grill types.

But looks like you now have smileys installed on your cab so whats the problem now???

and keep the car low, add tech1 kit, apply planks of wood to driveway to bridge the gap, drive out on an angle or something. My Touring is 65mm off the ground currently, and if i drive out my driveway (looking like a clown probably, haters gon hate LOL) on a wierd angle i can make it not scrape.

Low is a lifestyle or something like that anyways.

More of a sad situation that I unknowingly bought non-E30 smileys than anything. Although it is strange the chrome rings for the E34 smileys were the same as E30 smileys, but different for E30 bullseyes.

As for the lowness (which I love, almost a 3" drop), here is an engineering drawing I did to show what would happen if the tech1 front (in red) was installed, as it is around 2" lower and around 1" further forward than stock:

sccp3t.png

• My car is bumper is currently ~1-2" above the footpath when the front tyres sit in the ridiculous "gutter" on my street before driving onto the footpath.
  • The footpath-driveway interface is relatively gentle so no worries
  • Midway up the driveway is a huge sudden change in angle. The bumper is currently ~1" from the second section of the footpath at the worst point.
  • (Non-tech1 related, but the curvature of the driveway makes it that if I'm not careful (I am so careful) the sills will just kiss the hump as I go into the garage. 3D twist of the driveway causes the drivers side sill to touch slightly, instead of the exhaust etc. This twist is not shown above)

Still tossing up between selling the new suspension or the genuine kit!

Edited by tidyverty

I vote airbags

Don't be putting ideas in my head Jordan...

Really, please.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hmm might have to leave it at a friends house, lets say in wellington?????

keep tech1 + H&R

coz #yoloswag #lowgetsblow #scrapegetsgape

can't you just park halfway up the drive :P

all jokes aside, keep it as is

• Like 1

Lol I only just read your #scrapegetsgape properly. That's so awful!

• Like 1

Alrighty, quick update. The fuel pump has died on Sunday and has been promptly diagnosed and repaired by Ernst from Bavarian Motors. While we were there I had him look for where my slight oil leak was, as well as offer some insight into my cooling system. I noticed my coolant levels had dropped around 20mm over the last few months, and my temperature gauge rising now to 3/4, from 1/4 originally.

I had thought it was an old and leaky water pump, as I thought I was hearing the characteristic whining during the first 10 seconds after starting each morning. Apparently its leaky pump onto belts which then whine until they dry out.

Turns out the oil/water seal on the headgasket has begun to deteriorate, allowing some oil and water to escape. Fortunately the headgasket side of things is still holding, but she'll be due for a replacement next few weeks/month.

Ernst has thrown up the idea of swapping the 320 bottom end for a 2.5 or even 2.7 half, since we'll be opening her up anyway. So now I am starting a general lookout and hunt for a 2.5L or 2.7L engine. Otherwise it'll just be to replace the headgasket in the 2.0 and call it a day.

Might sell the Tech1 to help fund this endeavour, although I'll still need to sit on it and digest these thoughts for a bit.

Don't sell the Tech 1, assuming yours fits . They look so much better.

When will we see pictures of your tech1 Palazzo? Does yours have cab skirts? Ive got coupe skirts, which I can see ways of extending to fit the cab if I end up putting it on.

The M20B25 is a great engine don't get me wrong, but if you are doing that level of work why not put a M5x in the hole?

• Like 1

You can buy my rebuilt 2.8 and 260 box ;) fund my s50

:( That one in Napier has sold.

IMHO Once you swap that motor to non-original your resale is going to be equal to the collection of parts rather than any collectable value.

If you want to go fast - get a 540.

If you decide to keep the Tech 1 I have some genuine BMW E30 msport springs that might give you a good compromise ride height. Being a heavy vert it should sit a bit lower still.

:( That one in Napier has sold.

IMHO Once you swap that motor to non-original your resale is going to be equal to the collection of parts rather than any collectable value.

I fully agree Chris. I think the train of thought for this potential modification was just a slight upgrade, without leaving the "collectible" zone. Ernst suggested keeping my 2.0 top half and replacing the bottom with a 2.5 to improve low range output. 2.7 would be better as apparently more 2.0 parts are the same for 2.7.

The price for the half swap job was relatively low I think, compared to fitting in an M50 or something.

I might hold you to your M springs though Chris (god damn it you have everything I need and even maybe-need!) After I get my friend out to measure his stock cab vs the driveway monster I'll let you know.

Hopefully this will work, I'm notoriously sh*t at this.

Yes, that is a cracked tail light, fixed now.

post-665-0-69598600-1392872490.jpg

post-665-0-20874100-1392872503.jpg

Edited by Palazzo
  • Like 1

Oh my... That looks terrific!

What kind if suspension is that on? Msport springs with stock?

That looks like it won't get up my driveway lol!

Absolutely love the tech1 with proper skirts. I hope you understand how rare those skirts are! Looks so amazing. What is she needing to be road legal?

You'd be swapping more than the bottom end for a 2.5 swap, I didn't think the 2.0 head worked with anything else...Pulling the head off will be a much cheaper (if your paying someone else) job compared to practically a full engine swap/rebuild.

Re: the tech 1 kit, why not just fit fit the front and rear aprons and colour match your rockers untill you find actual cab skirts? Selling the coupe skirts can go towards funding the paint job

Edited by Lucan

^^^ real talk. id never sell the tech1 kit. i kept mine for 3years while i fxxkd around with my project e30. would be kicking myself if i had sold it while tossing up with what to do.

Oh my... That looks terrific!What kind if suspension is that on? Msport springs with stock?That looks like it won't get up my driveway lol!Absolutely love the tech1 with proper skirts. I hope you understand how rare those skirts are! Looks so amazing. What is she needing to be road legal?Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

It's some suspension out of a M325i race car, Apex (I think) springs with bilstein shocks. It rides really nicely. There is some conjecture over how captive the rear springs are, but I have all the standard stuff, so may put it back. I only found out about different ride heights from coupe and convertible after I'd done it. It's low, but I generally don't have any problems.

Needs a warrant and rego only, it's just been sitting in the garage not being used, I've done 7000kms in 8 years. I have the cam belt kit sitting here and a mtech 2 wheel to replace the mtech1, so slowly getting organised. Although child number 2 arrived Tuesday and the reason I haven't used this was child number 1...........

Edit, bilstein shocks, not blistering, stupid auto correct.

Edited by Palazzo

My knowledge on the 2.7 swap is a bit rusty these days, but im pretty sure the M20B20 and M20 B27 heads are the same casting (less bearings in the 2.7 tho??), and the 2.5L use a bigger and better head, would be better to either swap a whole B25 in the hole, or B27 bottom and B25 top.

The other complication is if your car is Jetronic or Motronic.

heads

m20b20 head "731" casting (some exceptions)

m20b27 eta casting "200"

m20b25 casting "885"

heads between M20B20 with "731" casting and M20 B27 "200" casting actually differ with port size and bearing count

swapping on the 885 may give better flow, but there will be a drop in compression ratio, due to a difference in chamber size, from memory 37cc for "200" and "731" as opposed 57cc for "885"

so maybe a 731 head on the b27 block to give you the CR, but then further work to give flow, porting, etc

or lift CR and run "885"