Sign in to follow this  
euroriffic

2001 E46 AC Schnitzer 320i

Right. So I now own this thing,Thanks Tyler (pldubs) who drove it down from Auckland over the weekend. And am currently going over it and fixing a few bits and pieces and giving it a service before the missus gets it as it will be her car.

post-5102-0-87844700-1384938657_thumb.jp

post-5102-0-95014200-1384938666_thumb.jp

post-5102-0-53043800-1384938677.jpg

already got all the filters and oil today from Paul at Milland. ordered them at 10am and were at my door by 1pm without even paying for them yet! He is the man!

So...what needs done

Inside

silver trims have clips all broken off and drivers door is cracked so really need a whole new set.

stereo has been refitted poorly so needs replaced and rewired-see below

rear speaker not screwed in and missing cover

front woofers don't go

rear ashtray cover is missing

screw on handbreak handle, currently just attached to the boot and spins round

rear door card not sitting right

leather on airbag cover coming away front drivers door card

missing tool kit tools

a bloody good clean!!

think that's it...

exterior

remove manual side mirrors with electric side mirrors -see below

take off ugly acs wheels-see below

ac electric fan is missing blades and is hitting something

fuel gauge stops reading below quarter, resulting in running out of gas at 4am in the middle of nowhere!

all front under plastics gone, air ducts, front inner arch liners, left temp sens etc -all got torn off by a possum in delivery :(

maybe new wheels :)

good clean and wax etc

First issue was rewire the stereo as a previous owner has put the original one back in a made an absolute mess of it, aswell as breaking the mounts off it so it falls out.

post-5102-0-33123100-1384941654.jpg

once I got that all back up and running I noticed the front woofers weren't going so pulled off the door cards to find an absolute mess!

they had wired up a set of cross overs and left them in but put the factory speakers back in which the terminals were shorting on each other so that's why there was no sound.

further more they have had non oem non electric side mirrors fitted but instead of just unplugging the wires theyre just cut them off coming out of the PLUGGED IN!!! loom. WTF? as well as cutting them off the mirror end aswell. some people are f**king stupid!

post-5102-0-76821300-1384941689.jpgpost-5102-0-45603100-1384941718_thumb.jppost-5102-0-08606400-1384941675.jpg

and looking at the amount of cables there they were folding and heated mirrors originally there. some people aye???

so now im on the hunt for a new set of electric ones. found a few on trademe so will see how I get on.

also changed wheels and removed top eyelids. looks much better

post-5102-0-28191800-1384941636.jpg

will hopefully be able to find parts shortly to have it all back together and ready for daily use.

PEACE!

Edited by euroriffic
  • Like 1

also fixed up the leather falling off and the plastic mounts on the back of the door card that fell off

Clowns with electrical tape and wire cutters ay. New wheels and less eyelids makes it look a million times better. Good job!

WTF???!!! Wiring isn't supposed to look like that?? Hmm, ok.............. :rolleyes:;):)

Few nights ahead in the shed for ya...........looks great in that last pic!!!

cheers boys. did have those wheels for sale but might keep them for this and give them a refurb.Or put the asc type 3's on. both pairs really need spacers since there a high offset and e46s have big guards to fill.

also noticed the parking assist isn't working. sometimes it makes beeping noises when you hook reverse but then nothing else... weird

oh and needs a front lip

fuel gauge stops reading below quarter, resulting in running out of gas at 4am in the middle of nowhere!

all front under plastics gone, air ducts, front inner arch liners, left temp sens etc -all got torn off by a possum in delivery :(

Yeaaah... Being stuck maybe 2 ks from a gassy at 4am in the Manuwatu isnt the best feeling after 6hours of driving.

And I swear that damn possum had a deathwish

atleast I removed weight... I might have been stuck 10ks from bulls if I hadnt dropped the extra load!

• Like 1

orrrrrrrrrrr you made it less aerodynamic therefore using more fuel so you would of made it to the gassy.....

Yeaaah... Being stuck maybe 2 ks from a gassy at 4am in the Manuwatu isnt the best feeling after 6hours of driving.

And I swear that damn possum had a deathwish

atleast I removed weight... I might have been stuck 10ks from bulls if I hadnt dropped the extra load!

6 hrs to Bulls & a non-perfect possum silhouette means ya probably weren't going fast enough........ya woulda got to Bulls Mobil sooner, thus not run outa fuel.... :D

Double bonus points lost because it wasn't yours & ya weren't going fast enough............

Bonus points gained though if Justin gets a ticket from NZ's busiest speed camera, @ Sanson 50kph area............ ;)

Bonus points gained though if Justin gets a ticket from NZ's busiest speed camera, @ Sanson 50kph area............ ;)

OH HELLS NO!

OH HELLS NO!

:rolleyes: I'm amazed they let you boys out into the big world outside Speight's Country without Laurie Mains or Jeff Wilson supervising ya...........theres another good camera on the downhill into Wellington too, that 80k area. By time you cursed a bit, kicked tyres, muttered a bit more, walked to Bulls, & got to Welly, traffic woulda been virtually stopped, so you're probably safe on that one......... :)

f**k, that f**king Sanson Camera got me!... and I was drifting between different dimensions by the time I got to welly so I was probably doing 60kph..

f**k, that f**king Sanson Camera got me!... and I was drifting between different dimensions by the time I got to welly so I was probably doing 60kph..

Lols - opps, you baaaad! :rolleyes: Its amazing how many tickets that camera issues a year - its always the No.1 one. Cracks me up everytime I see a stock-truck or curtain-sider parked in front of it....... :lol:

Got done at 111 km/h 15 kms out of Waiouru on the Desert road driving the missus's Volvo back from Auckland to Christchurch after I bought it a few weeks ago by a cop who turned out to be my brother-in-laws school buddy! Wore the fine, my first in since a camera got me at 61km/h in 2003. Luckily was aware of the Sanson and Wellington motorway cameras so missed those. Luckily it sounds like you missed the inter-island ferry disruptions, what with the Aratere missing a propeller now, it sounds like there could be some delays for those of us who are bringing vehicles South.

So bit of an update....

Turns out side mirrors are electric and just not wired up. tried them, wouldn't work. So got a set off standard heated and folding type with looms and switch. Tested new mirrors. Wouldn't work. Swapped switches over from non folding to folding, boom! Away she went. Thought ok, maybe il keep the m3 style ones. Tried to wire them up, got side to side but couldn't get up and down to work right since they rely on a solenoid to switch the drive gear where as the standards have two motors. Could of got it working with some diodes but thought f**k it, since I'm not the main driver I better make it function over form for a change so put standards on and all working great. ThanksAllan!

Got the front speakers working again, then started cutting out so checked the cross overs and had two broken solders on the coil. So fixed that and checked the other one which was the same so now front doors are all back together and all working as it should.

Have done oil, filters, coolant, water pump, Tstat, rad hoses then had a few leaks around the trans cooler which just clips on to the radiator. so replaced the o rings and is all good again. but have now noticed the low coolant level light is always on :( I pulled it out but no fluid came out from where it sits... So how does it work?

Fixed the rear door card so the door handle sits properly and reglued the leather that was starting to peel off the top. Was missing its inner foam liner Aswell so waiting on that before it goes back on.

Ordered a new door trim and clips from the stealer so hopefully should have them this week.

Got the ac aux fan surround plastic welded up and back on so all ready for its new fan blade to go back on.

Gave it a good clean underneath ready to put the new plastics on when they arrive which hopefully be this week Aswell.

Gave it a wash so I can give it a good polish and wax during the week to keep me busy until the last of the parts arrive.

Will post some pics later in the week

so got almost everything back together today bar afew wee things, still waiting on drivers door trim from the stealer, went to swap stereo fascia's around but are slightly different so back to looking for another one.

tried to find faulty parking sensor but must have more than one faulty sensor so might just need a new set...

noticed something weird going on on the shifter surround which for some unknown reason it was black plastidip, over black plastic... didn't understand why so pulled it off. then noticed its whats on the centre dash pockets but was a bitch to get off so need new ones of them now too. and the main bracket was broken so only fair to replace them :)

also I think the rear door has been replaced but the retarded panel beaters obviously didn't figure out the wiring loom just unbolts and unplugs from the body so stripped all the cabling with most the loom tape out through the hole. Idiots!! so spent some time got some loom tape of a mate and tidied it all up and re attached it to the clips.

updated op

Edited by euroriffic

Good stuff..

Kind of cracks me up lots of people buying e46's and trying to do their rangi toyota corolla / repco stereo mods to them .. get themselves all crossed up because a lot of the lines are digital / data buses.

Glad their are people like you out there :)

yea someones gotta restore these old girls, one (3 :P) 3 series at a time :)

Edited by euroriffic

Thought I better do an update. Got the drivers door trim so the doors are all done but still waiting on the centre console bits to arrive. Has been washed, paint cleansed, polished and waxed, just fitted mirror covers aswell.

Tried to fit 20mm spacers today but after spending an hour or so grinding the tops down on the wheel bolts so they didn't sit proud of the spacers, turns out they sent me 14mm bolts instead of 12mm like I asked so wouldn't fit :(. But since I had the car in the air decided to fit the acs type 3s to it. But needs spacers hahaha

post-5102-0-41785100-1388457754_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Had a set of replacement pdc sensors show up today ( thanks Allen!) so fitted and tested them and work great, so fitted them into rear diffuser and got it all back together. Now I just need Jono ( hella-functional) to send the interior bits I've been waiting for almost a month now and will be complete again. If he replies to my emails that is :(

So yesterday the missus said she spent all afternoon giving it a good clean inside that included vacuum, windows, and cleaning all the leather with lux soap, then the wheels a good scrub with a toothbrush and then a wash on the outside.

So when I asked her how long it took her she replied with two hours to which I replied you must of done a sh*t job if it only took you that long.... She wasn't overly happy with me after I said that...

But after a quick inspection I was right!

Wheels still dirty my finger was wiping it off, water marks all over the car aswell as the lower rear bumper still dirty and a big dirty spot on the bonnet.

Inside wasn't much better. Seats still had marks on them that would of come out quite easily and black marks on the door handles.

Why is it they bitch and moan about us keeping the house clean when they can't even look after a car????

The mind boggles....and you know what I'm redoing in the weekend :|

• Like 1

so went to replace rear window switch today but turns out it wasn't the switch :( just that one, then all wires had broken off the pins in the plug. so after abit of presison soldering shes all working again :)

then started cleaning the wheels PROPERLY!!!! but then it started raining so went in the garage and re glued the door foam liner back on in the M3

haha that is true, but still.....

So yesterday the missus said she spent all afternoon giving it a good clean inside that included vacuum, windows, and cleaning all the leather with lux soap, then the wheels a good scrub with a toothbrush and then a wash on the outside.

So when I asked her how long it took her she replied with two hours to which I replied you must of done a sh*t job if it only took you that long.... She wasn't overly happy with me after I said that...The correct response was 'Awesome babe, that's primo.........' Tonight's probably your 2nd night of penance, aka 'Heat your own f#cking Oak spaghetti, & no, you will NOT be playing in the nookie jar".

But after a quick inspection I was right! (Ahh, no son, you 'thought' you were right.........until you learnt that being 'correct' sometimes means you're wrong........)

Wheels still dirty my finger was wiping it off, water marks all over the car aswell as the lower rear bumper still dirty and a big dirty spot on the bonnet.

Inside wasn't much better. Seats still had marks on them that would of come out quite easily and black marks on the door handles.

Why is it they bitch and moan about us keeping the house clean when they can't even look after a car???? Ummm, because they can, at a wild guess.............??

The mind boggles....and you know what I'm doing in the weekend :|

Yea, you're probably buying flowers this weekend, nice meal, coupla Speights, & cleaning that bloody car properly............

• Like 2