Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

Specific/ambitious advice needed for fitment

Hi team,

I am currently posting from the big bad LA whilst on a trip here for the next few weeks. I have left things a little late, as I've been so busy but am now in a position where I have done less homework than I would have wanted.

Essentially what is happening:

• I am in a good position to purchase a set of wheels (replicas probably!) from ebay for a great price (local/no shipping and the great exchange rate at the moment)
  • I have hardly any luggage, but if the wheels don't fit in my checked baggage (which is pretty ambitious) I have a great deal for shipping through work, but I must be the one to send it, which means I can only ever take advantage of it when I'm actually here, so can't use it when I come home

Due to not being able to find some Zender Turbos, I am going to look at some gold BBS RS replicas. The fitment however all seems very aggressive, and I'm leaning towards the "they're not going to fit" mentality.

My question:

I also ask my fellow bimmersporters to comment on tyre-size availability and suitability for any of the above choices. My rear guards have been rolled very slightly, need to make sure somehow they'll fit with respects to that as well.

Didn't want to ask such blunt questions without looking into it very much, but time is of the essence now. I have played around with calculators etc as I know the stock envelope, but I have little idea how much extra space there is to play with. If anyone can offer some advice, especially ones involving personal experience (are you running any of the above!) I would be much, much obliged.

If they don't fit, I could sell them again in NZ, but I'd rather not squander this opportunity!

Thanks,

Edit:

Just found this

Which is stupendously cheaper. I'd like to lean towards getting these, however these are 16x8 et15. I've heard 16x8 tyre choices are very limiting however, will they need a bit of camber to fit?

Edited by tidyverty

I run 16x8 +7 and 16x9 +7

My second set of wheels is 16x9 +20

7" wide and about +20 is factory if I remember right? Wheel height only really comes into it if you have big brakes

How long are you there for? I'd be looking for some genuine wheels if I was you

I run 16x8 +7 and 16x9 +7

My second set of wheels is 16x9 +20

7" wide and about +20 is factory if I remember right? Wheel height only really comes into it if you have big brakes

Factory is 14x6 et35 I think. I have standard 320i brakes and callipers.

You must be running spacers with your second set of wheels? (Great news for me if you somehow don't) I take it your first set is currently in your signature picture, which is pretty spectacular.

I have considered briefly getting genuine wheels, however the fact I'll be using them on my daily driver makes me a little anxious running $2000 wheels. Plus the fact I'll only be spending around $600, which I don't particularly mind if I don't get back when I resell one day. I am keeping an open mind though, feel free to sway my thoughts

Not sure what your deal is with shipping but for circa $250 I'm bringing back 4x 19" tyres @ 10kg or so each on checked baggage on airnz

There is a pretty good Black Friday deal (will end in around 13 hours from my posting)

30% off with a code on the front page = essentially free shipping from the States!

http://esmwheels.com/access/002r-p-164.html

So my last question before I purchase something, anyone had any experience getting 16x8 to fit fronts for E30? I would really really prefer to keep them square/same wheels.

Otherwise I will be getting Remembers 16x7 all around.

Thanks!

16x8 fits easily, I have 16x9 ESM wheels ET15, Fit fine in rear just needed a 5mm infront to clear the strut.

That is a good deal.. Wish I had money I'd so get me some of those all black ones

16x8 fits easily, I have 16x9 ESM wheels ET15, Fit fine in rear just needed a 5mm infront to clear the strut.

That is a good deal.. Wish I had money I'd so get me some of those all black ones

Will 16x8 fit non-rolled front guards? A very reliable "mentor" says 16x8 will need quite a bit of camber/guard rolling to be legal.

Hmm wonder how much the shipping will actually be i want to hit the go button on these http://esmwheels.com/access/18-c-21_82_85.html

When I type in New Zealand and my address into the final shipping box, it adds on an "insured shipping" value of around $120.

Don't know if I believe it! Pretty good. It seems we can get 4x 16x8 wheels shipped to NZ for $800NZD.

They only do to Airport terminal shipping, which is a nightmare I've heard.

Mine aren't rolled at all with 16x9's... Then again it's not slammed but pretty low and I've never had guard issues.

Very interesting about your 16x9! I shall do a bit more asking I think.

What did you hear about terminal shipping?

Edit: I am actually very surprised about your 16x9's. It goes against what I've been told by 3 other people, 1 which I hold in pretty high regard.

Edited by tidyverty

The back is never an issue on an E30, can fit anything you like back there. Its just the front that causes problems.

Johns car is a 320i originally, so unless the larger 51mm 325i struts have been swapped in somewhere along its life, it might be the original 45mm ones. He will probably know.

but a 16x9 might work while a 16x8 might not. Offset is just as important to think about. Best thing to do is to find someone with the same wheels that you want (maybe on a USA forum if you can't find anyone here) and find out how they made them work, and remember to ask what struts they are running if the car isn't a 325i

Nah all Touring's have 51mm struts. True 3 people....Do they all turn full lock sharply into driveways ? lol

The rears need rolling for sure..But front's on 16's .. Guess it depends what size tyres you have and how much of your suspension travel you sacrificed.

Airport shipping; I went with Kiwishipping in the end

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/42452-international-shipping-airport-only-shipping/?hl=%2Bairport+%2Bshipping

Will 16x8 fit non-rolled front guards? A very reliable "mentor" says 16x8 will need quite a bit of camber/guard rolling to be legal.

When I type in New Zealand and my address into the final shipping box, it adds on an "insured shipping" value of around $120.

Don't know if I believe it! Pretty good. It seems we can get 4x 16x8 wheels shipped to NZ for $800NZD.

Yeah got $145 shipping but when I read the page with the wheels on it says shipping out of 48 us states will have extra charges so have emailed to ask them for a price

why on earth would you buy fake BBS? and why would you buy them from the US when you can get plenty of fakes right here in NZ

Youre never gona be next level with fakes.

just so my post isnt only full of hate.
Rowan is running 16x10 / 16x8 20p with no problems.

Dont be a wussy, buy Genuine and make them fit.

Chur

Edit: Before you go and think the following rant is full of rage, I respect that everyone has different opinions, welcome some constructive discussion and I respect others enough to keep an open mind.

I was expecting to be questioned about it sometime, and I guess it is fair enough.

To save time:

I have absolutely no qualms about spending a third/quarter of the price for something which looks 50% as good. I am being polite/conservative here as I think the wheels are aesthetically almost just as good.

As much as I enjoy and respect the community here, I would need to take a serious look at myself if I went and spent and extra $2000 for the approval of strangers on the internet, and the entrance to arbitrarily determined levels based purely on price.

I have plenty of other things to be spending my money on, and looking at the budget I've set aside for this, dollars-to-return-ratio it makes the most sense not to go for BBS branded wheels.

Aside from fuel economy and alleged safety, the "effectiveness" score of my daily driver is less sensitive to performance benefits as I am not using it for the track. Any losses in the above economy and safety would only skew the decision toward keeping the bottlecaps, not toward shelling out for genuine BBS.

Given that, I've done a bit of snooping in NZ already, and it appears I can save a good $200-$300 by buying whilst in the States, which is all money that goes back into the pool which can be spent on the next best dollars-to-return-ratio item.

It is interesting hearing these offsets people are successfully running though. With my modified ride height and this anecdotal decision making, I'm tempted to use some Optimum K model and figure things out a bit more quantitatively...

Edited by tidyverty

I totally agree with you Howard on your BBS comments, you are not alone.

Its not an internet wank factor thing at all.

Its about being proud of your vehicle and not helping snakes in the f**king grass who have cheated their way to wealth.

Cheats and Liars, do you surround yourself with them? Probably not. So why support their cause?

Buy weaves, OEM over Fake sh*t

and theyre only $400 w/tyres

Edited by pldubs

Bringing up a relic thread here, but does anyone have a 16x8 20p in Auckland who I would be able to have a test fit with? Would gladly show my gratitude with some cash or beers.

Colourwise, just deciding between silver with gold "studs" or gold with silver "studs" with the cirrusblau... Surprisingly little examples of gold on the great Google

Buy them. 16x8 +20 will easily fit