Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

soon to be ex wtgn headed to auck

So I just spent the wknd scoping property in auck. Wholly cow it's expensive up here.

Thinking Remuera or St Heliers / mission bay we liked the most. Saw all sorts of property from 'real do uppers' to 'clearly we r dreaming'

On the plus side. Stunning weather & some quality restaurants.

Nice one! the two areas you mentioned are definitely more suited for the professional. if you do not mind a commute, Howick and the surroundings will be nice too!

So I just spent the wknd scoping property in auck. Wholly cow it's expensive up here.

Thinking Remuera or St Heliers / mission bay we liked the most. Saw all sorts of property from 'real do uppers' to 'clearly we r dreaming'

On the plus side. Stunning weather & some quality restaurants.

What restaurants did you do?

I'm currently in Remuera, have been in Mission Bay and St. Heliers too (12 houses in my 21 years here in Auckland)..

A few words of caution (from my experience of course):

-Mission Bay is a lovely place. Every man and is dog is here in summer though. Really convenient supermarket shopping at Eastridge (Kepa Road/Patteson Ave intersection).

-Another place to recommend is Orakei (Houses in most price ranges here from what I've seen recently). It's situated between Remuera and Mission Bay. Lived here for awhile too on separate occasions. Always really liked it, relatively quiet, short commutes to town, convenient supermarket at Eastridge (again) or Countdown in the city.

-Remuera is great, prices can be "up there" though. Excellent central location, even after moving here from Orakei it feels worlds closer to everything including motorways (Southern/Northern). I love living here for the location, but I also love a view and a house with a view here will.. Well, I know of one for sale and they're asking for 8 figures.

-St. Heliers - Lived here for a year. It just felt like "the end of Auckland". Felt like it was miles away from EVERYTHING! Long drive in the mornings/evenings to the CBD. Tamaki Drive is an arterial route from the bays and one-lane for the most part.

If you want to hear anything else about other places I've been around :P

Hope this helps at the very least.

If you want to live in a wooden shed and pay $1M+ for it then I can heartily recommend Ponsonby and Grey Lynn. If you want the same house painted white and have $2M, St Mary's Bay and Herne Bay are both spiffing too.

Joking aside though, there's a reason Ponsonby and GL are so bloody expensive... So much to do, great restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. Shopping's good. Everything is convenient (CBD 5mins, North shore 10 mins, motorways all accessed in less than 10mins)... But you pay for convenience, especially if you want a house with foundations, bricks and a garage.

PS I can rent you an underground parking space for the M5 at my office... Mates' rates ;)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot, there are some decent swimming beaches within 5 mins as well.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

we still have alot to learn about transport times, convenience where's good for this and that.

We had a wonderful tour today with the relocation company rep whom was very knowledgeable driving us around giving us the low down.

I did see a BM workshop in one of the suburbs & a E30 racecar parked in someone's driveway.

Can't remember where I was tho. ha. I'm going to be driving everywhere by GPS I think.

Restaurants: Depot for dinner. The brisket taco's are to DIE FOR. Federal for breakfast. (everything was awesome highly recommended)

Cheers Martin. Would love to.

so we found out last wk, we are being moved to auck for work.

i've never lived in auck, actually never spent much time there besides the international terminal at the airport.

but will need to learn, buy & live in auck before june next year.

the question is. where's good to buy / live in auck? we will be working in the newmarket / penrose area.

Where's Auckland?? But seriously, GL with the shift :)

i forgot to add its a great place to bring up KIDS

Compared to where? Bamyan Province lol?