Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

soon to be ex wtgn headed to auck

Beachlands is a bit overrun by south aucklanders going to the beach for a wash/swim on the weekends. Though with the expansion of Howick/Botany it is growing super fast and the housing quality is quite good. Traffic has to funnel down one road to get in and out however.

I am out there every other Thursday for Poker games and more often than it should I get detoured for crashes or roadworks. Is a good hour to town/newmarket during normal working hours.

If you can set your own hours go for being at work by 7 or 7:30am and leave at 4 or 4:30. Leaving at 5 will add 30 mins to your drive.

I would have thought BP would set themselves up in Albany. It is where everyone else is going. I live in Torbay and work in Albany. Takes me 6 mins to get to work.

f**k that.

Im sure you don't need me to tell you this, but take a look at what you have here.

Is it worth taking a pay cut and working for a competitor and staying down here. or moving up (presumably increased pay) but a more expensive essential costs like rent travel etc. Also include non-financial costs, time to get to work, having to meet new people etc. Given the two options, what will be better. If the Auckland move is going to give you an extra $100 in your pocket after increased cost of living, would you rather "pay" $100 to stay with your friends/family/other non-financial costs etc as applicable down here.

I'm in Chch and looking at moving to Auckland since my dream job is there. But wow, what a joke. You think Chch has a housing shortage? I need a house that my parter and I can afford and has at least a single garage to fit the E28 (would have to store the tools) …You'd be lucky to find a shoe box for less that $450. Such a shame.

life is not all about work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beachlands...............

good points :

has a good golf coarse

is close to some of the best beachs in NZ !( read fishing )

has a mariner 2 mins away and a ferry to down town CBD every day and night

is a good close nitt community

has top of the line sport feilds

close to some of the best roads for driving around the coast

bad points:

one lane in, one lane out soon to be two both ways

• Like 1

anyways ....

Auckland would believe has a ton to offer. You'll learn the peak hours for traffic and how to get around that by just travelling smarter. Otherwise its as easy as welly to get around.

I've lived everywhere in Auckland, and the one place I like and still like the most is the shore. It has the beaches which are nice after work. Thats my personal preference though.

Property prices, ahh yes ... So I have just spent the last 8 months of my life living and breathing the Auckland property market until I found what I was looking for and bought. I was in the 500-600 bracket .. EG first home bracket. This is where you'll start to find the prices that are now not over inflated because of the LVR restrictions. Anything in the 650+ is fair game because the 20%+ equity crowd are still buying and so good houses are selling, this is backed up by stats from our financial planners. Houses that people want too much money for or are shitty aren't really selling, don't believe the BS in the news for the 1 or 2 one offs that reach silly prices ... maybe in hipster town aye Jooles ;) (it's ok .. I use to be one of those too, now i'm not cool as i'm over 35)

I have a fairly balanced view on Auckland, I was raised in the South Island and lived in Auckland the other half. As much as the rest of country gives us sh*t, Aucklanders actually don't care evcen though for some reason the rest of the country thinks we do. So don't worry about ya mates giving ya stick. Once youre up here .. youll get it

Oh yea, we actually have car washes and other 1st world amenities.

• Like 1

i forgot to add its a great place to bring up KIDS

Ha. Well I wash my own cars & don't have any kids. yet.

but I get what you are saying.

I hope we aren't in the first home buyers market but it really depends on what we sell up for. Prob end up in the 1.something M market.

But large garage, drive on access & a place for the dogs to be happy is high on the priority list.

I don't think auckland will be the place we will eventually settle so where ever we get will have to have a 5 year outlook. which makes it even harder.

That's fine for AKL, just done it myself and you're well outside the first home buyer market (which is SUCH a relief).

For around that you'll get a moderately central 3 or 4 bed with double internal garage in a good school zone and close to a park. Don't expect a mansion but you'll be comfortable.

What area are you talking, mate?

That sort of money will get you what you are after. And you won't have to live on the fringes of Auckland.

E.g. Our current house is in that range. 4 Bedrooms, 3.5 Bathrooms, massive outside decking, Double garage with boat storage. (we have 6 cars). Two of the large bedrooms have en suites. And a great view of the Gulf. House is around 18 years old.

Will take some effort but you will be happy. I have no intention of settling here for good either. But this is where the jobs are. And there is so much to do and see. 2 hours and you are in the Corromandel. 1 hour and you are at Puke or Hampton Race track.

BMW Race series is a good past time by the way :)

Edited by driftit

Could be looking at bucklands beach/macleanes or even howick area. With that kind of money you could get a very nice house out there, plus beaches and parks a 5 mins away. Travel time would be dependent on when you want to be at work.... eg, could be 15-20 mins or 1 hour.

Also very 'safe' place to live.

With a budget like that you will be fine.

If my wife and I worked in Auckland I would probably lean toward Ellerslie or Kohimarama.

TBH I would be happy in Mt Wellington, we have two large dogs and enjoy walking them around, there is an awesome dog park in Mt Wellington, there is also some great shopping places, Farro Fresh for food if you enjoy cooking..

With a budget like that you will be fine.

If my wife and I worked in Auckland I would probably lean toward Ellerslie or Kohimarama.

TBH I would be happy in Mt Wellington, we have two large dogs and enjoy walking them around, there is an awesome dog park in Mt Wellington, there is also some great shopping places, Farro Fresh for food if you enjoy cooking..

+1 Waiatarua Reserve was bloody marvellous for our mutt.

Some bits of Ellerslie still represent reasonable value for your money. Only real trouble with the central 'burbs is finding a halfway respectable shed! A lot of places have laundries with space for a car or two, not really anything you can park two cars in as well as have room for an engine stand & a workbench.

What it really boils down to is how much of your time can you happily sacrifice to commuting. From there you can gauge what areas fit your needs and budget.

Or just do what most of us in Jafaland have to do and rent :wacko:

cheers all.

i'll have to make a list of all these suburbs and spend sometime driving around them to get a better feel.

At least I have a starting place.

Don't bother with the North Shore unless you will be working this side.

Issue is The Bridge. One massive bottle neck every morning without fail.

Though the Shore has been my favourite area by far for living. East Auckland a distant 2nd.

cheers all.

i'll have to make a list of all these suburbs and spend sometime driving around them to get a better feel.

At least I have a starting place.

Maybe come and stay for a couple of weeks in an Hotel and take some time to get a feel for different places,walking the dogs around will give you good feel.

Obviously people are going to recommend what they know as best, you just need to get a feel for the culture and atmosphere of each area, some places that cost a fortune are not actually very nice at all.

I think Wellington has a very cosmopolitan feel to it, well from the time I have stayed there, but its not a lot different from Auckland, you have your suburbs etc.

Obviously people are going to recommend what they know as best, you just need to get a feel for the culture and atmosphere of each area, some places that cost a fortune are not actually very nice at all.

^^^ This!

Maybe come and stay for a couple of weeks in an Hotel and take some time to get a feel for different places,walking the dogs around will give you good feel.

I think Wellington has a very cosmopolitan feel to it, well from the time I have stayed there, but its not a lot different from Auckland, you have your suburbs etc.

We will be doing a couple of wknd's first to get a feel then I think we will rent an apartment for a few weeks first whilst we house hunt. As it's near impossible to do that remotely.

I currently live in a nice quiet suburb near the city fringe so something like that would be preferred.

Good idea, when we moved up we rented where we thought we wanted to end up. Renting is a pain, but gives flexibility if things don't turn out how you expected.

renting with 2 dogs is added pain x2. Even though they are very clean & very cute & don't wreak anything (except stuffed toys).

We see alot of NO Dogs on ads.

Edited by M5V8

I would most likely be working in Penrose. Wife's location is yet to be determined. We are guessing the newmarket / somewhere area but really don't know.

renting with 2 dogs is added pain x2. Even though they are very clean & very cute & don't wreak anything (except stuffed toys).

We see alot of NO Dogs on ads.

Ha, we have 4.5 acres in the country/ranges if you get stuck, have been dog sitters before, even for bimmersport members.. I am sure they will get on with my large dogs... my boy is not fixed though.

Also, we live in what I would describe as driving mecca, so it would be worth a drive.

Cheers Graham that's very generous of you. Both mine are miniatures & the girl is fixed. They love everyone, especially big dogs, generally follow them around like sheep. I think they like to pretend they are big dogs.

Might take u up on that offer one day.

Cool, you'll want Ellerslie, St Heliers, Kohimarama,Mt Eden, Medow bank areas as other suggested .. will be in your price range and what you're most likely after.

So the new office is confirmed to be in Newmarket...potentially on Remuera road near the Newmarket train station