Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

soon to be ex wtgn headed to auck

so we found out last wk, we are being moved to auck for work.

i've never lived in auck, actually never spent much time there besides the international terminal at the airport.

but will need to learn, buy & live in auck before june next year.

the question is. where's good to buy / live in auck? we will be working in the newmarket / penrose area.

Biggest question is how much can you pay? Are you buying or renting?

Good news for you is that the new lending restrictions are beginning to slow the market, making it better for buyers!

As above what's your budget? It is true the market is slowing, but more at the first home buyer end I have heard.

I hope you have more than $600k cause otherwise prepare to be depressed, or commute

Darren, if possible, find a place that has easy access to public transport. but the area you speak of is huge and central, I can only wish you luck in finding places to stay.

You'll also need to learn 5 more different languages, and all the special Auckland road laws ie: Mercedes with flashing L/H indicators means they are turning right. A red light means you can still proceed for another 30 seconds. It'll take a while to get used to though.

• Like 7

yes, yes I have heard of the 'challenges' of auck. traffic

we will be buying if we are able to sell our place in wtgn. there's alot still up in the air, as it depends on when our place sells and for how much.

all we know is it's on. we are moving. so lookout auckland!

good news is I will finally be able to get the M5 up there for a retune to get some more ooph! (one bonus - that and being closer to racetracks)

Ellerslie would be the obvious option, but its not cheap. Newmarket is surrounded by big dollar suburbs. Unless you would consider an apartment or terraced house (leaker) then you need a $1mil to get in really.

Mt Wellington / Panmure / Glen Innes are more affordable, but they are all pretty ghetto IMO.

Watch out for Auckland agents, they'll see you coming a mile away and try and tuck you. Find one you 'trust' and try and stick to them. If you need a valuer, holla...

• Like 2

thanks nick.

need a house with a yard. have two dogs. wife likes to garden.

I'm going to miss my 8min $3 bus ride to & from work.

It will definitely be frustrating for you if you don't know areas as most houses won't have prices and agents will pitch it low to get you to the auction. Ask an agent for some sales evidence and drive around looking at what things have actually sold for in the last 6 months. It will bring you up to speed far faster than going to auctions or waiting for other properties to sell to see where things are priced.

GL

I've got a good relationship with a couple of great real estate agents if you want a couple of contacts. IIRC Michael with the E36 V8 conversion is also a real estate agent up here.

There's a lot of property around, but as previously mentioned by Nick... a nice place can easily tip $1m+ to get around Newmarket (neighbouring suburbs are Parnell, Epsom, Mt. Eden, Remuera, Grafton)

You'll have to come to some meets :)

http://maps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/aucklandcouncilviewer/ - awesome tool

If you can put up with the smell and lack of space at rush hour the train is OK... I hate public transport but some people don't mind.

There's a lot of free car parking 5 minutes walk from Newmarket if you get here early enough. I start work on broadway at 7am and never have trouble finding a (free) park

Otherwise earlybird caparking is $7 - get around birds shitting on your car everyday...

Avoid the motorways at all costs!!!!!!

thanks nick.

need a house with a yard. have two dogs. wife likes to garden.

I'm going to miss my 8min $3 bus ride to & from work.

What suburb in Wellington are you?

I did the move from Wellington to Auckland recently. Get ready for horrific traffic and not being able to afford to live in the area you want to. I guess you don't have any choice in the matter but you will miss Wellington where life is so much easier

• Like 1

If you're open to commuting there are some fantastic areas south and west away from the suburban white noise. Kumeu / Huapai out west is nice, though can be expensive. Pukekohe and surrounds is great too (south) I have a mate east of Huapai, takes him about the same amount of time to the city as me (Waiuku -> city 55 min, though I do leave at 6 for a 7am start)

Transit times will kill your will to live, though if you love where you live the time is worth it

Cheers for the pointers/ advice. Yes will have to make it to a Auckland meet once settled.

Yes part of the BP relocate.

I think we will be renting for a few months. It's just tough w two dogs.

Which is funny as they are cleaner & quieter than any little kids I know !!

Edited by M5V8

Might want to state what your budget is when it comes to buying or renting ... it'll basically determine where you'll end up living in Auckland I am afraid.

Also what's important to you - convenience to shops and restaurants ect ... crime rate ... insurance ... travel cost (parking at work?) School zone for the kids? Dog registration (whether you can pay for it online or not - yes it's different in different areas). Or most importantly I suppose proximity to BMW tuners and parts suppliers ;):P

When are you moving? How much time have you got to sort ect?

Edited by M3_Power

I live in Remuera/boarderline Ellerslie and travel 4km - 5mins to the current BP office, would the new location matter much to you?

I also heard Penrose mentioned so potentially Ellerslie, Remuera, One Tree Hill, Greenlane, Royal Oak are all pretty close. Mount Wellington, Otahuhu, Penrose, Panmure would be the ghetto option but not all parts are bad.

If the office went to Newmarket then look for Epsom, Mt Eden, Greenlane, Grafton

These are all pretty much within 5 - 10km with Mt Eden, Epsom and Remuera being the $1m+ areas, others 600k+

You poor bugger. Newmarket and its surrounding areas would have to be the most congested places in New Zealand imo.

I used to work in Newmarket and travel from Howick (East Auckland). Would take me anywhere between 30mins and 1hr 30mins.

TBH when friends have moved to Auckland in the past nearly all the places so far suggested I have said to avoid.

If you rented your current home would it cover the mortgage? I would just rent up here.

I live in Ponsonby. It's a bloody amazing suburb but a sh*t 2 bedroom villa with holes in the walls will set you back a cool $1.4M so unless you're selling a 6 bed mansion in Welly you may need to look elsewhere or rent. Renting's a lot cheaper than buying in some of the nicer suburbs and there are some really nice places available.

I'd consider renting our house out if you give me the keys to the M5 ;) haha!

Jokes aside, hope the move works out and it'll be good to have another E39 M5 at the meets.

Edited by jeffbebe

have a look at beachlands , silverdale millwater areas both are with in a hr of the CBD.

Beachland will take off in the near future there are big plan under way.

I'd rent until you get to know Auckland. You'll stay in a much nicer house in the mean-time.

+ You could be hunting for a long time if you want to buy. My GF's parent sold over 8 months ago and have been renting while they look for a new place, wealthy oversea's buyers snatch up anything decent, it was happening when I bought over a year ago and its a lot worse now.

600k won't buy you anything decent in central auckland anymore. You'll need at least 800k to find a decent free-standing home around Ellerslie/Greenlane.

Edited by Lucan
  • Like 1

so we found out last wk, we are being moved to auck for work.

Poor ba$tard - sucks to be you.............PM me your current addy Darren & I'll send ya a sympathy card...........

I can understand the 'why' etc on your going up there though............

Edit. PS - DONT DRINK THE AUCKLAND WATER - IT'LL 'TURN YA'............... :lol:;):)

Edited by Blue-540i

ill check beachland out. sounds beachy. cheers.

yeah yeah. insert jaffa joke here.

i'm keeping an open / positive mind. it can't be all bad. I'm sure there's some endearing factors to auckland.

I'm sure we will make some new friends and hopefully the weather will be better.

• Like 1