Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Good idea?

Call me uneducated, but wouldn't this also be illegal if it wasn't certified??

Seems about as legit as an uncerted M30 in an E30.... "the WoF inspectors will never know the difference".......... :unsure:

The theory (according to Google) is that this bypasses the faulty passenger seat sensor and tricks the car into thinking there is a passenger so the airbag would deploy whether someone's there or not... The reality, who the f*ck knows? I wouldn't risk it.... Just get a new sensor.

• Like 1

Matts got the right idea - seller needs kicked in the nuts, twice. Once for 'thinking of the idea', & the 2nd time for actually carrying it out / marketing it........... :rolleyes:

In conjunction with aftermarket seats, & certification - yes. To pass a WOF - umm, no - fail.........

Matts got the right idea - seller needs kicked in the nuts, twice. Once for 'thinking of the idea', & the 2nd time for actually carrying it out / marketing it........... :rolleyes:

In conjunction with aftermarket seats, & certification - yes. To pass a WOF - umm, no - fail.........

This was my thinking, I was only thinking of the danger that this thing could create. Someone probably needs to notify TardMe

Illegal in NZ and foolish...been discussed and argued about several times on here

I wonder if he'll answer my question ??

Edited by *Glenn*

This was my thinking, I was only thinking of the danger that this thing could create. Someone probably needs to notify TardMe

Nah mate, just think of it as yet another way of keeping chlorine in the gene-pool - it'll be fine. And Trademe won't give a rats a$$ so long as they're getting their fee.......

What the hell is wrong with people? Its like trying to fix an electrical problem with a hammer. If i found a car i had bought had been modified like that i would be mucho f**ked off.

I think the duct tape adds to the legit look.

Please note Clinton, words in red I've already trade-marked for my own usage........'retard' is also included........... ;):):D

In the early New Year, wait for my new listings on reTardeMe - I'm thinking I'll start with a 'Air-bag repacking kit', for after its been used. I'm sure theres an untapped market there for that - its probably even gonna come with a free box of condoms, just to help slow the retard breeding program down a little bit.......... :)

Please note Clinton, words in red I've already trade-marked for my own usage........'retard' is also included........... ;):):D

In the early New Year, wait for my new listings on reTardeMe - I'm thinking I'll start with a 'Air-bag repacking kit', for after its been used. I'm sure theres an untapped market there for that - its probably even gonna come with a free box of condoms, just to help slow the retard breeding program down a little bit.......... :)

One word : sterilization.

EDIT: - looks like withdrawn by TradeMe ! Did someone here complain?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

One word : sterilization.

EDIT: - looks like withdrawn by TradeMe ! Did someone here complain?

I asked a question regarding legality

• Like 3

Yes, i have a contact in Trademe (as my business account is a top seller) and i got it pulled

• Like 1

I agree its not the smartest idea fitting it without a actual legitimate reason, but at end of the day there are far worst vehicles on the roads to worry about than some bmw with a airbag that may or may not work.

^^^^^ WTF? What about the next unsuspecting buyer thinking they have a vehicle operating to factory spec & then being in an accident only to find the Air Bag system didn't deploy properly?

I know, & understand, the unit is to trick the system into thinking the mat is present. however there are no guarantees that it WILL work.

There is NO legitimate reason to use one of these - PERIOD!

Yes, I agree there are worse vehicles on the roads, not the point though - two wrongs don't make a right!

Lols^^^^^ well yes, true at some degrees, so long as you're not the one trying to get a WOF due to a 'fault' I suppose...........

This seller, is the weakest link..............but at least we know that...........

^^^^^ WTF? What about the next unsuspecting buyer thinking they have a vehicle operating to factory spec & then being in an accident only to find the Air Bag system didn't deploy properly?

I know, & understand, the unit is to trick the system into thinking the mat is present. however there are no guarantees that it WILL work.

There is NO legitimate reason to use one of these - PERIOD!

Yes, I agree there are worse vehicles on the roads, not the point though - two wrongs don't make a right!

I never said i supported it and would never do it myself for reasons you listed but some people are going cover up potentially unsafe aspects in cars regardless, rust comes to mind.

Would of thought replacing factory seats in a track car etc is legitimate use for one.

Sure its wrong but its just another drop is ocean of things wrong with the world.

• Like 1

all it does is mean both aribags will deploy in an accident,instead in the perfect world the air bag wont deploy on the passengers side if no one is sitting in the seat

I never said i supported it and would never do it myself for reasons you listed but some people are going cover up potentially unsafe aspects in cars regardless, rust comes to mind.

Would of thought replacing factory seats in a track car etc is legitimate use for one.

Sure its wrong but its just another drop is ocean of things wrong with the world.

Ok, not pointing the finger at you suggesting you were endorsing, merely it was being somewhat shrugged off.

Yes, I also agree on people covering up other potential hazards, but again -that is another issue. Things need to be cleared up as they become apparent.

Yes in certain circumstances an Air Bag system can be removed from a car, but in this case - the COMPLETE system must be removed.

all it does is mean both aribags will deploy in an accident,instead in the perfect world the air bag wont deploy on the passengers side if no one is sitting in the seat

Yes correct BUT - being that it is intended as replicating a part, there is a potential for discrepency & cause the system to shutdown.

No different to any other fault in the system I agree, but IMO (as is the law) the system should be bought back to factory spec

• Like 2

Only if it works...

Who's making them, and do they know what they are doing???

There have been versions opened up on other forums, only to find the compnenets twisted together with wire, wrapped in take and poked in a cover. Those trademe ones don't look stunning, and aren't cheap when you consider there's about .50c of components stuck into a plug (which is on the old pad anyway).

The occupancy sensor can sometimes be coded out anyway. If you use a bypass, you REALLY want to plug it into diagnostics afterwards, to make sure the seat is occupied. Then NEVER put a kid in the front.

Potential manslaughter charges await for those who fit the sensor and the airbag doesn't go off, or those who put a child in the front seat, and the airbag DOES go off, when it shouldn't.

Rust or other safety issues on cars isn't really the point here. I was amazed when I came across that auction, amazed that someone would be so thick to fit something like this to any car. You own a BMW, own up to the fact that YES, they cost a bit more than a Corolla to own & maintain the bastard. If ya can't do that, then get a pair of shoes instead. Personally, I'd be pissed if I bought a car and found that out.

• Like 1

Be thankful we're not in the states. Been following a couple of stereo install threads where people cut holes in the crumple zones or cut into cross members in the name of car audio. Quite like NZ WOF standards as a result.

e.g. M3 Rear deck http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/Wicks303/media/M3%20Build/489deckholebigger_zpsfebb882e.jpg.html

E46 front foot well http://s946.photobucket.com/user/zacinstalls2/media/E46%20328i/IMG_0859_zps2340aead.jpg.html

Either way ,some people are either too cheap (Airbag pressure sensor by pass) or too stupid to own these cars.

Makes you think when you purchase your next car ..... what has the previous owner done.