Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New NZ Police Cars

In fairness, a general duties car is starting to get a bit average after 200kms of urban work, & the Highway Patrol cars are leased anyway, is the info I have - its part of the reason they are turned over so quick........... ;)

This is what they need.

BMW 3.0d motor.

maybe, just maybe, we'll be seeing police cars reaching the 500k km mark, and beyond the 3 year fleet age replacement

I seriously doubt it. Most of them are half buggered by 200,000km

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I remember reading an article about the US Highway Pursuit cars (can't remember the exact model for the life of me, so yank V8 mostrosity) and the average life span was 10months and about 60,000 miles before they were disposed of. Hauling fat cops, donuts and coffee was obviously a hard job!!

Annnndddd.... we're heading off topic!!

Hey - it's page 2 of the thread! May even be a miracle it got this far... ;)

OK - so what other currently available, or likely to be available cars could the police use to replace the Comadoze?

I've done a little research and if the assumption they will use a rwd car is correct (and it may not be) then the replacement will not be a Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Kia, Daewoo, Suzuki, VW or Volvo. Because they either don't make anything in rwd, or (in the case of Nissan for example) it is a 370Z and that won't have space for enough donuts and coffee.

In fact, pretty much the only non-European options are a Lexus, Infiniti, or the Hyundai Equus. The only possibly viable US offerings are the Lincoln Town Car, a Cadillac, or the Chrysler 300C - other rwd drives cars from the US are the Mustang, Corvette, Camaro, Charger, etc and don't have enough doors.

Maybe something from Lada?

• Like 1

Subaru Outback would be perfect - six cylinder AWD with heaps of space and great reliability

I think some guys are being bit harsh - trust me on theres nothing better than hearing a siren coming, when you need it - whether it be police, fire or ambo crews.... ;)

They deal daily with the stuff the rest of us don't have to, or chose not to, & they should always have the best tool for the job, & the best training to ensure they too themselves see the end of shift & go home to those that care about them....... ;):)

If not RWD, then AWD will be the better option than front wheel drive. Personally, I really like the concept vehicle Clinton posted - looks a little fragile in some areas in terms of frontal etc, but a design with lots of potential IMO........

Lots of Hyundai vans parked at the side of the road with those pesky cameras in already, maybe a few cars to go on the fleet as well? Nice and cheap, so tax payers won't moan (too much).

Police will never use BMW cars because of all the bad publicity it would cause, even if the cars were practically given away (like the Govt Limos) the papers would still have a field day!

They better not use BMWs - terrible waste of tax $$.

Ha