Sign in to follow this  
gjm

New NZ Police Cars

So Holden won't be an option in the not-too-far-distant future. What will NZ Police drive then? Can't be a Oz Ford because they aren't going to be made either.

Would they go for a front wheel drive car? It seems unlikely, but the options are starting to get limited. The Land of the Rising Sun isn't exactly local, but it is one of the nearest places to get new cars from (once Oz production ends).

However, a little leftfield perhaps, but who would count out the possibility of 5-series BMW Saloons and Tourings stepping in? There's no Ute (which the police here also like) but it's viable... Purchased in sufficient quantity, in police-spec, they'd certainly do the job. And there is provenance - the Germans (obviously) use them, but so do other European countries, including the UK.

So the new police car needs to be large, be able to carry lots of kit, be fast enough to hunt down many road users, and be reliable.

What do you think would suit?

there was rumour a few years back they would be 530d (like the crown 730Ld)

But my understanding is that Holden will be around when they close the plants, we will just see Vauxhall, and Chevs badged as Holdens here, rather than the other way around. The brand is too valuable here and in Australia to kill off the brand completely. Opel Astra have been badged Holden for years here, first generation Holden Cruise are Chevrolet in UK and USA etc.

I agree with Andy - they'll fill the gap with something. Bit like Ford in the states with the Police fleet - they've finally done away / are doing away with the Crown Vic Poooooolice Cars, & have a Taurus all set to replace them in Police spec, & all around - its probably not a baaaad unit (well, in context, for something Yank made anyway...) with AWD & turbo V6 being part of the package on some Police spec. Its highly likely that this vehicle, & also Mustang, in some sort of incestuous over-priced under marketed formats, will be what replaces Falcons on this side of the world. GM will do the same with some sort of rebadged love-child from Daewoo or Opel probably, & then we'll probably end up as screwed as what the EEC is in terms of GM vehicles...........

Holden has the right idea at least, in terms of its LWB Commerdoor platform gets exported to the States as a brilliant Police vehicle in its own right - apparently the American boys in blue just love them. With GM condensing its range in America a few years back, is there any odds they've actually got anything half decent that would transform to RHD spec from there anyway.......???

Do I see BMW police vehicles in NZ police future - No..............Commercial vehicles, including light trucks, are also part of NZ Police procurement, so it'll probably go to whoever can do best deal on the biggest range of vehicles. Toyota has a foot in the door with NZ Police thesedays, & its highly likely they could actually supply a half decent Commodode replacement - Hilux in diesel or V6 format would see utes done, Hiace for vans, Highlander into Captiva replacement, & Toyota tieup with Hino trucks sees light truck fleet covered off too.

From an economic, & ease point of view, Toyota would cover it all off quite nicely if its objectively thought about & processed without tunnel-vision........ ;):)

I agree with Andy - they'll fill the gap with something. Bit like Ford in the states with the Police fleet - they've finally done away / are doing away with the Crown Vic Poooooolice Cars, & have a Taurus all set to replace them in Police spec, & all around - its probably not a baaaad unit (well, in context, for something Yank made anyway...) with AWD & turbo V6 being part of the package on some Police spec. Its highly likely that this vehicle, & also Mustang, in some sort of incestuous over-priced under marketed formats, will be what replaces Falcons on this side of the world. GM will do the same with some sort of rebadged love-child from Daewoo or Opel probably, & then we'll probably end up as screwed as what the EEC is in terms of GM vehicles...........

Holden has the right idea at least, in terms of its LWB Commerdoor platform gets exported to the States as a brilliant Police vehicle in its own right - apparently the American boys in blue just love them. With GM condensing its range in America a few years back, is there any odds they've actually got anything half decent that would transform to RHD spec from there anyway.......???

Do I see BMW police vehicles in NZ police future - No..............Commercial vehicles, including light trucks, are also part of NZ Police procurement, so it'll probably go to whoever can do best deal on the biggest range of vehicles. Toyota has a foot in the door with NZ Police thesedays, & its highly likely they could actually supply a half decent Commodode replacement - Hilux in diesel or V6 format would see utes done, Hiace for vans, Highlander into Captiva replacement, & Toyota tieup with Hino trucks sees light truck fleet covered off too.

From an economic, & ease point of view, Toyota would cover it all off quite nicely if its objectively thought about & processed without tunnel-vision........ ;):)

Nissan could too with all bases covered, and some police Maximas running around already.

even VW could tick all the boxes too except for the light truck, though they do have the Crafter which is currently in use as their paddy vans.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Yea, true, bar truck fleet doesn't come into NZ through Nissan NZ, which I suppose in some ways is a bit like Toyota with Hino........funny bit is Hyundai is preferred / directive car for lots of Government depts., inc Defence Force at the moment........

Lots of Hyundai vans parked at the side of the road with those pesky cameras in already, maybe a few cars to go on the fleet as well? Nice and cheap, so tax payers won't moan (too much).

Police will never use BMW cars because of all the bad publicity it would cause, even if the cars were practically given away (like the Govt Limos) the papers would still have a field day!

That said the road cops do love their BMW motorbikes...

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

... & also Mustang...

The Mustang is 50 next year, and Ford are doing their damndest to (re)launch it as a world car. RHD, LHD, V6, V8 - all will be represented. They're keen, and no mistake.

I agree with the Japanese-sourced suggestion. The variety of vehicles available is huge, and a single-manufacturer source would certainly appeal to the procurement people and the bean counters. Do Toyota (or Nissan) produce a good-sized four-door saloon with rear wheel drive? I really don't know!

They better not use BMWs - terrible waste of tax $$.

Undercover units are already using hyundais.

Sign a contract with great wall for all I care.

Do Toyota (or Nissan) produce a good-sized four-door saloon with rear wheel drive? I really don't know!

i might be missing something, but why does it have to be rear wheel drive?

Police carry a lot of kit around with them, yet expect their cars to really motor along, fast enough to catch teh majority of speeding motorists.

Carroll Shelby said he'd never put more than 250bhp through the front wheels... Load the boot of a large fwd saloon with 200kg+ of kit and it is unlikely to handle. Big power + big weight tends to mean rwd is the sensible option.

Besides, it'd be more fun! Typically, police drivers are enthusiasts, too.

Sadly (or fortunately!) they've missed the boat with 4wd Autech Stageas.

Under H & S legislation, I can guarantee it won't be Great Walls they get, & personally - I hope they get something half decent - they deserve it!!

True, in that there are already Hyundai speed camera vans, & also the odd Hyundai mufti unit being used......

The Mustang is 50 next year, and Ford are doing their damndest to (re)launch it as a world car. RHD, LHD, V6, V8 - all will be represented. They're keen, and no mistake.

Yes, the new Mustang is going to get a huge nudge at being a proper 'world car' - should have good success at it too I predict......

Internal Police policy that general duties / pursuit type police vehicles in NZ have RWD or AWD as preferred spec - its been like that for years for some reason. Which is bit weird, as MOT had no issues with using Sigma GSR turbos, & also V3000's back in the day - both of which would go wrong side of 200kph as mufti units, bit under that when as black & whites with drag of lightbar taken into the equation.

I personally think spec of them having to be RWD is an outdated policy that should be updated to reflect the advances that have been made in vehicle technology since that policy was implemented.

IMO, Our boys in blue generally do a great job, & I'll forever back them having the best gear to do that job to the best effect...... ;):)

just use all the boy racers hotted up rotary ,v8 and turbo cars that they have confiscated.

or maybe buy thousands of comodores and stock pile them up ,and save them for a rainy day :)

I don't care what they use as long use they leave me alone.

They use the Toyota Orion/Camry in Oz. missis old man has one and they go as well, if not better than a ve sv6

BMW diesels would be the way to go but it would be the death of the government of the day. If the greens have anything to do with it they'll all be pursuing crims in hybrid camrys while threatening to use their solar charged tasers.

It'll be the highway plods in oz that will be screaming foul. No more 6.2l V8 patrol cars for them!

• Like 1

My cousin in Oz is a pursuit cop, they use manual FPV F6s and love them. XR6 Turbos in the city I think.

Why do they need vehicles at all surely with all the modern technology that is available today their job could be curtailed for and example bar code all the number plates if you brake the law it is read by highway camera's and the fine is deducted straight out of your account, demerit points added to license, court papers if needed are sent.

Edited by tim 325

Police carry a lot of kit around with them, yet expect their cars to really motor along, fast enough to catch teh majority of speeding motorists.

Carroll Shelby said he'd never put more than 250bhp through the front wheels... Load the boot of a large fwd saloon with 200kg+ of kit and it is unlikely to handle. Big power + big weight tends to mean rwd is the sensible option.

I think this comment here has got a lot to do with why they prefer RWD vehicles - it's likely to do with how vehicle dynamics come into play while a vehicle is loaded, with XX kg in the boot, & potentially 4 persons in the cabin, not just during pursuits, but also during responsive, & evasive situations. Plus in amongst it, the vehicle also needs to be a 'large' type sedan, to have it as suitable for being used when the guys are running ops in 'full kit'. One of the main differences between FWD & RWD vehicles, at a very basic level, is FWD 'pulls' the unit along the road, whereas RWD 'pushes' it. For maybe a working perspective on that from a police view, imagine American police trying to do a PIT manoeuvre with a FWD police unit, on another vehicle that is a similar or heavier weight - wouldn't work too flash, as during the 'touch', weight is being transferred off the driving wheels.

Why do they need vehicles at all ...

Surely you're joking... are you expecting the Police to catch a bus to assist you when you need them?

• Like 1

Surely you're joking... are you expecting the Police to catch a bus to assist you when you need them?

Exactly. :rolleyes: Land Transport legislation enforcement, is actually only a small part of what NZ Police do within our society..... ;):)

They might as well do if their response times are anything to go by and maybe then we might get a decent public transport system :D . Was told by my parents if in trouble call a police man they will help you this teaching has not stood the test of time" Actions speak louder than words" and my faith in the police has been worn thin. As regards my other comment yes I was poking the stick the police will always need some sort of transport as they cover numerous different situations. The idea was just a possible help in the traffic side of things and isn't this getting off the point of this thread?

• Like 1

Why do they need vehicles at all surely with all the modern technology that is available today their job could be curtailed for and example bar code all the number plates if you brake the law it is read by highway camera's and the fine is deducted straight out of your account, demerit points added to license, court papers if needed are sent.

I would vehemently disagree with this as a viable way forward. Proliferation of fixed position speed cameras do absolutely nothing to improve road safety - they sometimes reduce the speed of vehicles on the road, but not even that works all the time. Europe is littered with speed cameras that have received a 'necklace' - tyres filled with petrol that have been set light. (Apparently it's better to drill a hole in the casing and fill it with expanding foam, but that's another matter.)

This would also be just another step along from the GCSB legislation that was recently imposed. Also, if there was any hint of perception that cameras might make a difference there would be a dramatic reduction in the number of traffic police.

Those who have received a camera-caught notification through the post - how did you feel? Cheated? Stupid? At least if I get pulled by a traffic cop I can hope he or she has taken into account what I was doing, where I was doing it, and the prevailing conditions, and that includes stopping me for travelling at an inappropriate speed although one that may be under the speed limit. (I know - this may not always be the case.) A camera is completely indiscriminate.

Police contribute to road safety. Electronic detection methods don't.

And that's before we get to the myriad ways there are, or would be developed, to avoid being caught electronically. The police number one eyeball sees all, and if you are caught, will eventually get to the truth, regardless of whether it is your car, your license, or your license plate.

• Like 1