Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

Any-one else still read 'books'....? :-)

Theres some people out there like me, that don't have Twatter or Facebook accounts - you know the type, they even probably still pick up a phone @ times & talk with 'real people', etc etc........

One of my 'things' I do, when not working or doodling out in the cave or in here, is I read........quite a bit......... :) and all sorts of stuff, by all types of different authors. To the extent that I'm on my 2nd Kindle in less than 18 months, as the new improved one is out.......so I'm quite in ebooks, as well as us still buying hard copies of our favourite stuff.....

Last year I brought Bob Lutz, 'car guys vs bean counters' - really interesting book I thought, by certainly a quite interesting guy....... :)

Just downloaded his 'Icons & Idiots' book - haven't finished it yet, but its interesting hearing about the time he spent at BMW, how he was involved in how the numerical model numbering / identities occurred etc........

If you're a 'reader', its well worth looking for IMO.........its not 'cheap', but yea, a good read............ ;):)

Tom Cotter may also interest some of ya............and theres a BMW 5/6 Series book by Andrew Everett that's good, that can also be downloaded via Amazon ;):)

I'll probably add some titles here too - feel free to chuck yours in....... :)

Yes.

I am a lot like you but more of an technology dinosoure actually.

I prefer to read books but not in kindle. just cant stand reading books on the computer/iphone screen. :)

• Like 1

Thanks. Have requested at my local friendly library. Not into staring at a screen all day. Probably got close to 50 library books at home at any one time - love books. Love the book sales too. Great bargains to be found.

• Like 1

Yes.

I am a lot like you but more of an technology dinosoure actually.

I prefer to read books but not in kindle. just cant stand reading books on the computer/iphone screen. :)

Funny, cos I'm a bit like that too - (I'm simple enough that I still have a 'unsmart' inormal phone, instead of some unreliable ipiece of i$hit that might tell me the current temperature / humidity in Ethiopia, but won't actually ring or txt when I want it to).........so my partner was a bit concerned on how I'd take to the first Kindle she got me.......strangely enough I reckon its just awesome!! ;):)

Funny thing is, I read fast, & always have done since I was a kid. One thing I've noticed with the Kindle is a book gets read even quicker for some reason......

Love reading. Books. Real ones.

I've never had a kindle or similar and don't feel inclined to get one... If it is techy stuff I want, I can read and photocopy or print anything relevant that I need. Novels are another thing - it's the tanglible aspect of going to a bookcase, pulling a book and flipping pages which is part of the reading experience (for me).

I tried reading from a friends eBook thingy while on holiday once but found my imagination didn't seem to work as well as with the paper-based item.

• Like 1

I am partial to a good book but its all a matter of time to get to read. Not enough hours in the day. My most favorite book of all time and have read more times than I care to remember and one that I wish they would make into a movie is Magician by Raymond E Feist (part of the rift war saga).

The other 2 books though changed the way I set about my approach to the management side of the manufacturing business is The Goal and it's not luck , both by Eliyahu M Goldratt.

Funny, cos I'm a bit like that too - (I'm simple enough that I still have a 'unsmart' inormal phone, instead of some unreliable ipiece of i$hit that might tell me the current temperature / humidity in Ethiopia, but won't actually ring or txt when I want it to).........so my partner was a bit concerned on how I'd take to the first Kindle she got me.......strangely enough I reckon its just awesome!! ;):)

Funny thing is, I read fast, & always have done since I was a kid. One thing I've noticed with the Kindle is a book gets read even quicker for some reason......

I bought my first smart phone 2 months ago. paid like $70 on sale. was expecting to pay $500 since my friend paid 1k for his Ipoop, but this is not a apple ipoop. its a simple phone that has a good battery life, a gps that helped me traveling to auckland and a mp3 player. i rather drive or go read some news then watch tv. I dont hate technology, its just that i dont like too much of it, makes people more carefree and drift away. there is a feeling in a paper book and a desk lamp you just cant get, no kindle for me. :)

• Like 1

I bought my first smart phone 2 months ago. paid like $70 on sale. was expecting to pay $500 since my friend paid 1k for his Ipoop, but this is not a apple ipoop. its a simple phone that has a good battery life, a gps that helped me traveling to auckland and a mp3 player. i rather drive or go read some news then watch tv. I dont hate technology, its just that i dont like too much of it, makes people more carefree and drift away. there is a feeling in a paper book and a desk lamp you just cant get, no kindle for me. :)

Yea, I don't watch much TV either..........

I'm reading 'American Icon' @ the mo, by Bryce Hoffman. Its the story on what Ford did to save itself in the last global crisis when the Detroit 'Big 3' had major problems. Ford's saving grace, was they hired a guy from Boeing called Alan Mulally..............its a neat read so far. I'm 28% through it, & I think ultimately it'll turn into something positively motivational on leadership & team-work...........

Read a book last year called 'Undercover Angel : From Beauty Queen to S.W.A.T. Team' by Lisa Lockwood, as a true story. I'd happily recommend that too........ ;):) Even my partner really enjoyed it..........

i love reading technical books or books like motocourse.I dont read as much as i used to.Too much time on forums like this!

Ive got a whole bookcase of them. Everything from "wide body" about the development of the 747 to "american desperado" for an eye opening biography of some seriously bad assed 1980s drug dealers. Must admit I've moved to using the ipad as you can download immediately. But ill go back & read good ones over & over.... Must have read wide body about 4 times over the years now.

Edited by elmarco

A book I can recommend is "The Driver" by Alexander Roy, about the gumball rallys and his U.S. cross country record attempts. I must have read it four times by now

Edited by Slybma

i have quite enjoyed some of ken follets books recently.

he wrote a couple about a guy building a cathedral in the 12th century, good story and very intersting info about how they built back then. (wrote a sequal following the same town 150 years later.

also have read the first two books in his century trilogy. very much reccomend them, massive amounts of intersting info about how the world worked from 1900 till 2000. (third book 1960-2000) yet to be released.

A book I can recommend is "The Driver" by Alexander Roy, about the gumball rallys and his U.S. cross country record attempts. I must have read it four times by now

Hmm - might have a look for that then - I've read a Cannonball book last year, that I'd rate as, average read I suppose.

'The Driver' was also a movie, remembered in my head for having good chase scenes, a bonkable looking chick (at the time), & a 454 powered Chev C-10 ute....... ;)

No kindle, can't understand the attraction.

The original Stig had an amusing book, but I just finished Mike Tyson's autobiography, which was really interesting to me as a Tyson fan. The guy is a wreck.

I love books, have since I was a kid reading Charlottes web at age 6.

I only read real books - mostly Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams type books (wierd) or murder/mystery - Harlan Coben, Sue Grafton, Kathy Riechs, Tara Moss, Tess Gerritson, Patricia Cornwell and Agatha Christie. I actually like to re-read the Pratchett and Adams ones quite often.

I stop off at second hand shops in funny places, because they often sell a bunch of really good used books for really cheap (Ruawai has a couple of good shops I brought boxes of books from, and some small waikato towns). Readers Digest condensed books are good for in the Kombi too - not big and heavy.

We don't do TV (too much crap), so it's all books, DVD, or internet... sometimes real people come over too, or we visit them :lol:

Prattchet is fun! as is Adams. I love left field work and high fantasy. Scifi is also fun!

No TV but just got into Doctor Who and Sherlock. Fun times.

• Like 1

James Patterson, Harlen Coben, Lee Child, David Baldacci, C.J. Box, Martina Cole, Nora Roberts are main ones in the 'communal' part of our bookcase,

Chris Ryan, Andy McNab, Barry Crump, Tom Cotter, Jeremy Clarkson, Lisa Tamati, Vince Flynn & a few others in 'my' bit of shelves.........

Linwood Barclay, Faye Kellerman, Tess Geritsen, Mary Higgins Clark, Sandra Brown & Kathy Reichs seem to be main authors on 'her' side....... :)

Hmm - might have a look for that then - I've read a Cannonball book last year, that I'd rate as, average read I suppose.

'The Driver' was also a movie, remembered in my head for having good chase scenes, a bonkable looking chick (at the time), & a 454 powered Chev C-10 ute.......

He drives an E39 M5 during 90% of the book, hes also put alot if his videos on youtube