Sign in to follow this  
kiwiland

Rocker cover gasket replacement

Have a small oil leak in my 2001 e39 530 together with a burnt oil smell in the cabin when stopping from a run. Been told::-

(a) It is almost certainly the rocker cover gasket and

(B) it is a difficult job to replace.

Any info as to what I am likely to be charged for the job?

Have had the car for past 8 years and mileage is now 60,000

Appreciate any comments

step one: Buy new gasket and gasket goo stuff

step one and a half: Remove all other associated sh*t that is in your way.

step two: Remove rocker cover

step two and three quarters: Remove the rest of the sh*t in the way

step three: Replace Gasket

Step four: put goo stuff on

step five: put rocker cover back on and all other stuff

step six: Open Heineken and admire your handy work

step seven ( Optional ) Bang your missus and smoke a cigar cause you are among the legends that fix their own cars

Edited by pldubs
  • Like 1

step five: put rocker cover back on

Rubbish

Edited by *Glenn*

Fanks, what else is there to it then?

Also, saying Rubbish without adding the correct information is more ridiculous than my obviously dumbed down care free instructions

Edited by pldubs

Have a small oil leak in my 2001 e39 530 together with a burnt oil smell in the cabin when stopping from a run. Been told::-

(a) It is almost certainly the rocker cover gasket and

( B) it is a difficult job to replace.

Any info as to what I am likely to be charged for the job?

Have had the car for past 8 years and mileage is now 60,000

Appreciate any comments

There's lots of instructions on how to do it out there. I did it myself on my 325 a couple of years back. Was very straight forward and didn't take very long.

However, did it on a toyota a couple of months ago and it was a disaster, i think what i learn't from that is seek advice whether or not to use a silicon compound... (i did and it leaked 1st time- spent the rest of the day cleaning oil off the driveway - didn't use anyting but a bit of oil on the bimmer) and BE SUPER CAREFUL TORQUING THE BOLTS TO THE CORRECT TORQUE, i snapped 2 heads and had to drill out and retap thread - what a mission.

dont forget step 9. get keen and repaint the rocker covers

also if you are using new gaskets you shouldnt need gasket goo

Edited by jason H

dont forget step 9. get keen and repaint the rocker covers also if you are using new gaskets you shouldnt need gasket goo

+1 Painting the rocker cover is a compulsory step. :)

Come on guys. The OP has a 2001 e39 530 (6 cylinder M54). If you don't really know how to do it and you haven't done one...don't offer advice. It's not an E36, E30 or E39 540. The procedure for every engine type and model type in most cases is entirely different.... go read up on the TIS programme, and you shouldn't always rely on what you read on the web & in other forums. And I have spoken to the OP

step one and a half: Remove all other associated sh*t that is in your way.

step two and three quarters: Remove the rest of the sh*t in the way

step five: put rocker cover back on and all other stuff

step six: Open Heineken and admire your handy work

step seven ( Optional ) Bang your missus and smoke a cigar cause you are among the legends that fix their own cars

Best write up ever I think!

The Besian systems has a good write up which includes removing and replacing the rocker cover.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

Just ignore the Vanos stuff. but it has lots of pictures and correct information.

Yeah I pmd that through to go along with my highly detailed explanation

Call in if you need advice. ( Silverdale)

Come on guys. The OP has a 2001 e39 530 (6 cylinder M54). If you don't really know how to do it and you haven't done one...don't offer advice. It's not an E36, E30 or E39 540. The procedure for every engine type and model type in most cases is entirely different.... go read up on the TIS programme, and you shouldn't always rely on what you read on the web & in other forums. And I have spoken to the OP

couldnt have said it better.

i havent done the m54 but im sure like most it includes the not so obvious process for removing, storing and reinstalling coils etc.

glad to see someone sent help through though.

offtopic

i have done a m60b40 engine on two separate occasions, once with oem rubbers once with aftermarket no name ones off trademe

both sets of gaskets looked identical but the aftermarket ones kept falling out of the rocker cover when trying to install them which is a pain anyway going around the abs etc.

never leaked again on either but the oem rubbers did sit much more snuggly in the groove.

Mine needed the repair when I bought it. I went to my mechanic. I do this sort of stuff. I have the bill. $57 bucks for the gasket, $67 bucks for `cam cover bolt rubber seals`, 2 hours labour. Total $305.01.

Don`t get me wrong, if you can fix it yourself then that`s awesome. I can`t, but my mechanic is brilliant with Bimmers..

Just picked up a gasket today for my m52 e39. Will be doing it when I do the vanos. Will be following the besian diy, pretty straight forward I think if you take your time.

Edited by -Alias-