Sign in to follow this  
Phil-540i

That was a ugly shake! 6.3..........

Hmmm, felt that one - 6.3 earthquake outa Castlepoint!!!! Fingers crossed no damage around..........

That was really ugly - bounced outside when it started to see garage & the power lines moving waaaay more than they should be.......

• Like 1

73km deep Glenn, 10km north of Castlepoint.

I only hope lives are not lost... With earthquakes, Waitangi Tribunal pay outs and asset sales, this country is fast becoming bankrupt. 3 years going on 4.. peoples lives are still at risk in ChCh, financially, physically and mentally.

• Like 1

Friends of ours own the Pub out at Castlepoint. No word from them yet. My Mrs' father was riding his motorbike out there and we haven't heard from him just yet either. sh*t reception out there at the best of times though.

Totally agree with ya Glenn - I go to Chch regulary, & had spent 10yrs in Canterbury before I moved to where I am now. IMO, its just disgusting how it's panned out for lots of people down there since the quakes...........

Canterbury people are really neat, durable & fairly resilient, but 3 yrs later to still be living in garages etc, its just not right...........

Personally I just find the place depressing when I'm down there for any length of time these-days........which is sad, as I think its a awesome place, with primo people.

Yea, can imagine that Jamie - I'm glad for no upstairs bits here......... :)

Edited by Blue-540i

Friends of ours own the Pub out at Castlepoint. No word from them yet. My Mrs' father was riding his motorbike out there and we haven't heard from him just yet either. sh*t reception out there at the best of times though.

Lols - wouldn't be a hard-case fisherman by chance..............??

You're right - reception is rubbish out there. Apparently Vodaphone is struggling with call loading etc at mo..........

Lols - wouldn't be a hard-case fisherman by chance..............??

You're right - reception is rubbish out there. Apparently Vodaphone is struggling with call loading etc at mo..........

Yep sure is. Curla and his son Lindsey.

We stayed in his batch down at Ngawi over New Years. Family friends of my Mrs' family.

• Like 1

Driving home from Paihatua near the turn off to Masteron when it hit felt like we had a loose wheel or flat tyre. Its the first time I've felt one while in a car even had time to stop.It was only then that I realised it was an earthquake as I watched the road move :huh: still checked the tyres just in case :D

• Like 1

Apparently theres also few china cabinets in Palmy that have toppled over............& turned into expensive shrapnel on the floor.......

Might be a few chimneys like that around Jamie - they've virtually banned brick ones down in Chch now........

My olds live just outside Eketahuna, they reckon no damage. Interesting to hear reports of damage from Palmy and Masterton tho.

Also interesting on GeoNet, all NZ volcanos had a spike in activity around the time of this quake.

Was a good roll in welly rattled the crockery.i was in the backbencher,dont know what the tourists over in parliament grounds thought of it!

Friends place in Palmy had the loose stuff in their kitchen smashed. The Wakataki out at Castle Point lost quite a few beers and wines but nothing else.

Partners Father riding his motorbike out that way didn't even know it had happened.

http://tinyurl.com/m2nee5s

Dvke is fine, onyl had a few nicknacks go wandering

most of our loose stuff was sorted after the 90's when we had a couple of 6's

http://myfatquarter.blogspot.co.nz/2011/03/earthquakes-at-my-back-door.html

Edited by JoKer

Phil,i cant imagine what the folk in canterbury are feeling,and am not trying to defend anyone,but this was TWO huge events,and nobody has dealt with anything like it before.we are a small country and at times it has been beyond our resources.there just arent the number of suitably experienced engineers for example to carry out the inspections,builders etc.Just sayin

Well had a neighbor and a passer by point out me chimney is f**ked lol{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif image.jpg

Get that knockwd over mate. ,corrugated iron is only 1/2 mm thick(not counting the " galvanising"

Phil,i cant imagine what the folk in canterbury are feeling,and am not trying to defend anyone,but this was TWO huge events,and nobody has dealt with anything like it before.we are a small country and at times it has been beyond our resources.there just arent the number of suitably experienced engineers for example to carry out the inspections,builders etc.Just sayin

I agree with what you're saying in that Paul, & yes, theres validity in 'it's beyond our resources' too - hopefully NZ will get a chance to financially recover a bit before we have any more major negative events occur.......

I'm a big believer in that ya can't 'cover yourself for everything', but in amongst it, we are also probably a bit guilty at times of becoming a bit complacent about things - as today has shown us it could be any of us at any time getting tangled up in something like happened in Christchurch.......

Edit. A mate in Palmy had a pushbike bounce off his car in the shed, from where it was hanging up in the rafters, plus a bit of other stuff. In general, its probably been a great thing it's been anniversary day for Wellington / Manawatu today, so haven't had people trying to decamp outa office blocks etc.....

Edited by Blue-540i
  • Like 1

Nothing here, i checked the garage nothing had fallen on the cab before i checked the house lol. got all the hammers and saws and tools etc hanging on the wall by the front left gaurd so have always wondered what would happen in a big shake.

Defiantely had enough of them though and i havent even lost a single thing yet, this one or the previous big ones. but everything is always bolted to the walls etc here, no she'll be right here. Must get my emergency water tank installed though, been sitting here since before chrissy.

knocked our wood pile over, and we lost a vase which my wife had placed precariously on top of the extractor fan for the stove.

We were selling a car at the time, and i couldn't figure out why the car was shaking, then i looked out the windscreen, and saw the Honda bouncing up and down lol. Some dudes in a late model A8 pulled over on the other side of the road and were getting under their car, checking the tyres and the like looking for the problem. l Yelled out that it was an earthquake; and the relief on the drivers face was palpable haha!

• Like 2