Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

Twin turbo 540 pipe dream

So found out today at work were clearing some turbos most are for trucks but a few are for wrxs and legacys these are brand new and basically buy one get one free

the small subaru turbos are good for twin turboing about a 3l v6 and the larger ones are good for twin turboing a 4-5l v8.

not the greatest turbos for mounting and plumbing.

and turbos are usually the least expensive parts.

with how tight the engine bay is in bmws i wouldnt dream of it. would have to top mount them forward of the heads and ditch everything in the way abs, water bottles, traction control, aircon.

far easier to supercharge

the small subaru turbos are good for twin turboing about a 3l v6 and the larger ones are good for twin turboing a 4-5l v8.

not the greatest turbos for mounting and plumbing.

and turbos are usually the least expensive parts.

with how tight the engine bay is in bmws i wouldnt dream of it. would have to top mount them forward of the heads and ditch everything in the way abs, water bottles, traction control, aircon.

far easier to supercharge

agree!

Lol I did say it was a pipe dream price is insane though just into four figures for two large ones

Im not sure how hard you can press an m6x engine. A handful of boost with an sc and a tune, sure. But to make insanity, I think you'd be looking at some strengthened internals. I guess we need Mr Crunchy to apply his magic to one to see if dreams of a stock m6x engine turns in to a good or bad dream.

I remember reading about a V10 M5 with twin turbos mounted behind the diff due to engine bay constraints.

So it's possible!!

only about 3 minutes of lag that way

Of course, always going to be worse than if it was mounted up front, but you would only do a rear mount setup if there is no room up front, in otherwords, the engine would be a non-turbo already, so any improvement is good improvement.

i was reading heaps about it 6 months ago when i was having my own pipe dreams lol

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

There was a random VT Commodore at the dyno day with a turbo mounted behind the LR wheel.

Yea better than no turbo but that extra lag and inefficency from all the piping must make supercharging a winner. Or go nuts and put a big single turbo in front of the engine

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

why not both? supercharge AND turbocharge. let the super take care of the first 2krpm and the turbo do the balance.

why not both? supercharge AND turbocharge. let the super take care of the first 2krpm and the turbo do the balance.

Only worthwhile with a roots or twin screw. Eaton M112 as mentioned above for example. But then, you would be unlikely to need to twincharge with one of those, unless you were the type that really got off on solving complex problems and finding innovate solutions.

Jason has the right idea. Dirty great truck turbo sitting where the airbox normally is on an M6x. Pipework would be a challenge though.