Sign in to follow this  
JayCee

My 1988 BMW 525e - E28 - The golden snitch

Last night I stumbled across a wee gem on trademe,

This arvo I won the auction for a really low price.

Here I present to you,

My 1988 525e.

I have owned 6 e30s, I currently still have my tech II 328i on airbags. This will be my first e28, my first 5 series, my first bmw that isnt a 3 series.

I bought this car off a man on the east coast bays.

He bought for this car for over 60k in october 1988, the first and only owner of this nz new e28 for 26 years.

I have the service booklet which has been completed religiously since 1988. The paint is bronzietbeige metallic, I can not express how well it has been maintained, I cannot see any noticeable scratches, dents or rust anywhere on this car! The interior is almost flawless, no stains on cloth seats, one tiny tiny tiny crack on dash, floor mats since new which when lifted up reveil an almost brand new from factory carpet.

The spare wheel, never been used.

The only thing that I can see thats bugging me is faded bmw bonnet, boot and wheel badges. I will soon fix that.

I don't mean to scare you guys, but she has just shy of 360,000kms, which works out to be on average 13,846kms per year. The mileage is terribly high, but with this extensive record of service history, I am not phased. The engine bay is in need of a clean, you can see the yellowish heat paint on the rocker and intake manifold, I am going to eventually get this acid dipped and repainted, I was thinking a classic silver intake and a body colour matched rocker cover with black detailing.

Im not sure what to do with her at this stage, definatly a service, new badges and engine bay clean. But I am unsure weather to maintain her as a classic or do as originally planned. My original intention was to get an air bag suspension kit fitted to her and get some aftermarket 18x9 rims but im unsure of what im going to do at this stage.

Any of you guys that know about e28s please let me know what you think, any tips, any advice, anything I should check.

Classic or Modified?

Edited by JCBMW

Here are a couple of pictures after I cleaned her today.

post-7153-0-69766100-1392280283.jpg

post-7153-0-26325500-1392280299.jpg

post-7153-0-07585200-1392280314.jpg

post-7153-0-74860400-1392280331.jpg

post-7153-0-51340600-1392280345_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Coil-overs and RS's are always reversible ;)

Haha yes they sure are but after owning an airbagged bmw I seriously would love to get this thing laying frame on some 18x9 rotas. May not be your guys cup of tea but these rims in a way are appealing.

post-7153-0-31701700-1392282604.jpg

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure I saw this car at Smales Farm one day last year. It had sheepskin covers on the seats iirc.

God dammit, I was thinking about leaving a note on the windshield with my number should he ever want to sell it. But I figured it looked so mint it would be a keeper and when I saw it was a 1 owner NZ new ( carjam ), I figured no way would he sell.

Edited by vtgts300kw

Had to laugh at "I don't mean to scare you guys, but she has just shy of 360,000kms" etc

Honestly thats nothing, if its was 500,000+ i may of blinked

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I saw this car at Smales Farm one day last year. It had sheepskin covers on the seats iirc.

God dammit, I was thinking about leaving a note on the windshield with my number should he ever want to sell it. But I figured it looked so mint it would be a keeper and when I saw it was a 1 owner NZ new ( carjam ), I figured no way would he sell.

Hey man! Yeah was most likely. Scary kms but omg immaculate and the only reason for selling was because it had started to get neglected driving wise. He told me when he boughy it brand new he bought it to keep it for the duration of its useful life and now he has decided its time to part with it. Still has original anti theft radio code pin cards and all! He sold it for so cheap aswell!!

Had to laugh at "I don't mean to scare you guys, but she has just shy of 360,000kms" etc

Honestly thats nothing, if its was 500,000+ i may of blinked

You reckon? How reliable is an m20b27 ? Haha cambelt was done 25,000km ago and he said its never had the head off because its never needed it

Edited by JCBMW

They do huge k's without issues as long as serviced properly like your's appears to have been. Same goes for any M20 and M30's really, simple ,non stressed and durable motors which were truely built to last.

• Like 1

They do huge k's without issues as long as serviced properly like your's appears to have been. Same goes for any M20 and M30's really, simple ,non stressed and durable motors which were truely built to last.

Thats good to hear! Wasnt sure if the b27 had any problems etc. I have a m20b25 stroked to b28 in my e30 but thats all rebuilt under 4000kms so that should last a while too if maintained like this e28

Drop it on some coilovers and buy those staggered 18inch Style 5's = perfect

• Like 1

Hey man! Yeah was most likely. Scary kms but omg immaculate and the only reason for selling was because it had started to get neglected driving wise. He told me when he boughy it brand new he bought it to keep it for the duration of its useful life and now he has decided its time to part with it. Still has original anti theft radio code pin cards and all! He sold it for so cheap aswell!!

Ba$tard!! :rolleyes: Oh yay, please tell us again how cheap it was...........mutter mutter mutter...........very very kooool unit!!! Thanks for the pics dude....... :)

Damn. I LOVE a well sorted e28, and this would be tits on the right wheels and coilovers. Colour is perfect!

Style 5's FTW.

• Like 1

I say do what you want - it's your car. Likely could use some suspension work anyway :-)

• Like 1

I have a real good set of H&R shocks and springs Jordan ;)

When can I come and see it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

have some wheel choices if needed :)

I'm so jealous! Also jealous of your available wheel choices!

I gotta say though, you found it last night and bought it today? Lol how much was the asking price!

Drop it on some coilovers and buy those staggered 18inch Style 5's = perfect

There are some refurbed on here for sale by jasjot they look absolutly beautiful! Would look rather suited on th is car id say.

Ba$tard!! :rolleyes: Oh yay, please tell us again how cheap it was...........mutter mutter mutter...........very very kooool unit!!! Thanks for the pics dude....... :)

Hahaha oh by the way, so cheap ;)

Will upload more as I go.

Damn. I LOVE a well sorted e28, and this would be tits on the right wheels and coilovers. Colour is perfect!

Style 5's FTW.

Yeah many people reckon style 5s and I really like them, was going to try steer away from basket spoked bbs after having the rs reps on my e30, but they are just so classicly matched to these bmws, I will definitely look into them, I love the colour, always liked the look of the e30s in This colour but more commonly I ended up with quite a few delphin metallic ones. Havnt seen too many e28s in this colour, and for 26 year old paint it doesnt look poor or tired at all!

I say do what you want - it's your car. Likely could use some suspension work anyway :-)

Yeah I wanted airbags but I might have to look into coilovers, definatly a cheaper alternative too, do you know how hard it would be to try source a pair of lowering springs? Or would they be similar ones suited for e30s and such?

I have a real good set of H&R shocks and springs Jordan ;)When can I come and see it!Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I'm so jealous! Also jealous of your available wheel choices!I gotta say though, you found it last night and bought it today? Lol how much was the asking price!Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I bet you have a real good set mate, some good guy must of sold you them, but I do say they are very suited to your e30 cab man, plus your mtechs I think you just will have to find a new house :P Will defs be keen to have a meetup in this and yours sometime, chrome bumper gang haha, il pm you the start price on trademe hehehe

have some wheel choices if needed :)

Brent could you please post some pictures or pm me some pictures, I could be keen! How hard is it to find e28 parts too? Ive noticed they dont seem to be as common as e30s!

Also guys I will take some snaps of the interior and service booklet this weekend to show you what it's all about. I ordered a new bmw badge last night for bonnet, sneed one for boot. Also ordered a German flag badge for Grille but would this ruin the look?

Unfortunatly when I was showing my dad the car after work I noticed a tear in the drivers seat, its down low on the side bolster so it's not too noticeable thank god!

Quick Q:

My wing mirrors are currently faded plastic black.

I was wondering do I respray in matte black or get a colour matched spray can and spray them body colour? I was thinking the bronzietbeige mirrors would look real good!

Also, does it ruin the cars originality if I respray the front grille matte black ? Just so it looks refreshed? Not the kidney grille though I will leave that chrome, just talking about the black plastic grilles around headlights.

Can you buy foglights for these bad boys?

I am wanting to install an aftermarket head deck, I want to leave the original in there and disconnect it, either put new head deck in glove box or underneath existing sterio in the little storage compartment so its unseen and looks original looking in.

Any help or advice appreciated, im not quite clued up on the old 5ers.

Cheers guys!

Faded black plastic livens up quite a bit with some meguiars trim detailer. Give it a go for the mirrors and grille? I've got some here you can have a hoon with it. Works pretty well on my e30.

Its not permanent though. Few weeks and you'll have to re-wipe. Also have a can of SEM trim black if you wanna see how it looks man

I'm a little skeptical of colour matching the mirrors as I love the trim features on Bmws.

Edited by tidyverty

This just shows what a Bmw looks like years later when it`s been looked after. Hit the internet , read

the horror stories about `older Bmw`s ` and realise it`s about the owners, not the cars.

Bargains everywhere , see one you like ,just keep a wee bit up your sleeve for those `little niggles`, research the price when it was in the showroom all those years ago, and pounce on it.

Brent how big are the rims in the first pic (width and diameter) are they oem wheels?

also the ones on the 635csi, those ones would look slick wrapped in low pros but depending on what diamater and width also.