Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Cheapest M5?

Aren't all E60 M5s SMG similar to the ones in E46 M3s? These cars are becoming cheaper and cheaper but the cost of running sure aren't.

Aren't all E60 M5s SMG similar to the ones in E46 M3s? These cars are becoming cheaper and cheaper but the cost of running sure aren't.

Yes it's by no means an "automatic". SMG II was in the E46 M3s; it was updated to SMG III in the E60 M5s. From memory they were offered in manual to the US market.

Yea yea, I know - just in the listing bit it has it as 'automatic', which cracked me up, regardless of SMG etc........personally I'd prefer a E39 M5...........to me the E60's look bulky & I dunno, theres something 'weird' about their styling that doesn't spin my wheels for me - its not as if its been given a good hiding with 'the ugly stick', but I dunno, I wouldn't call it gorgeous looking...............to be fair some colours look better / worse than others though IMO........and its technically complicated if / when anything goes wrong......I'm sure its quicker than a E39, & more refined yada yada yada, but they're missing some 'soul' or something IMO.......

Hard to explain..........

• Like 1

Following an "experiment" on the port on ramp this morning, I wouldn't bother.

"Some models possess BMWs XDrive, a full-time all-wheel-drive system that gives outstanding handling in all conditions. It has the ability to detect slippage and redirect power to the wheels with the most traction."

You've got to laugh at some of the garbage these guys tend to put in their listings...

Yea yea, I know - just in the listing bit it has it as 'automatic', which cracked me up, regardless of SMG etc........personally I'd prefer a E39 M5...........to me the E60's look bulky & I dunno, theres something 'weird' about their styling that doesn't spin my wheels for me - its not as if its been given a good hiding with 'the ugly stick', but I dunno, I wouldn't call it gorgeous looking...............to be fair some colours look better / worse than others though IMO........and its technically complicated if / when anything goes wrong......I'm sure its quicker than a E39, & more refined yada yada yada, but they're missing some 'soul' or something IMO.......

Hard to explain..........

I saw an E60 545i Touring on SH1 this morning. (I spend enough time driving up and down there, I'll see most things eventually.)

As I was travelling at aroun 100.0000000001km/h and he was driving at 100 (speedo error, officer - more accurate in the newer car) I overtook him. But from the back, it just looks unfinished, a little like the Chrysler Voyager. There's what appears to be an awkward slab of metal across the back - plain and featureless.

From the side it's marginally better, but the swoops and creases just don't, for me, combine into an attractive-looking vehicle.

And the front looks awkward because there's too much going on.

Great car, no doubt. Enormously complicated though, and really not my thing.

True........^^^^^^^ must be one of those really special limited edition models ae...............

Like the really 'special' sales guy that licks the inside of the bus windows on his way to work to write that drivel............. :rolleyes: How confident would ya be on handing over 40k of your hard earned $$$ to such an inept retard............. :unsure:

Edit - @ Clinton's post. Graham is right too - 'awkward' is a good adjective for the look..........

Edited by Blue-540i

Yes it's by no means an "automatic". SMG II was in the E46 M3s; it was updated to SMG III in the E60 M5s. From memory they were offered in manual to the US market.

I drove when new, a customer's brown V10 M5 sedan in manual, 2005