Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

Half cage legality nz

Some shed some light on this for me I'm thinking about fitting what I'd call a half cage in the mini would I need a cert half cage having 4 mounting points and maybe a rear diagonal

Goimg off very old hearsay but i was told its legal if its not in the way of seat and belt operation but removal of rear seat to meet these rules may require cert.

Sure someone has an actual answer though

Well no, :rolleyes: no cert required - for ba$tardising something that unique as what you've got in that poor defenceless little old Mini, maybe one of those jackets that does up at the back & a bit of a slapping would be in order before holes get drilled in the poor thing..................... ;):)

Goimg off very old hearsay but i was told its legal if its not in the way of seat and belt operation but removal of rear seat to meet these rules may require cert.

Sure someone has an actual answer though

Well belts not an issue it has a total of 0 and I was looking at one without the cross bar

Lol I so I better not put the metro 4pot calipers and disc setup on and get rid of the hydrolastic set up for normal shocks and hilos then, it's got enough holes in it at the mo don't think another 16 is going to matter

Ignore 540-blue , obviously he's become brain damaged from all those noisy Ltwins & V8's he's owned.

Mind you he does have a point on remaining hydrolastic minis . Prices on the uk are going up on these.

With the rollcage if you going for that period rally look then fine , you'll need to consider how close the bars are to driver / passenger sitting . Check out the low volume cert website. With a rear only setup you are still legally able you use the car every day rather than a full cage which is motorsport cert / reg only.

If you going to use the car for the odd bit of motorsport then the rules become harder. The cage will come under considerable suritiny . If going this way take your car down to automation motorsport in levin. Their knowledge on cages for racing minis is second to none.

Also remember that large wheels on minis are largely fashion item on a mini and they will handle better with 10's or 12's . With the metro 4 pot and a 13 inch wheel you'll be adding quite a bit of extra weight . With the price of alloy based calipers being what they are consider running a 10x6 or 12 x6 rim with either kad or mini sport caliper on 7.5 or 8.4 rotors. It will have more than enough braking power to lock the fronts at will.

I'm running standard s discs / minifins on the club car (10x5.5 and 165/70/10 )and not expecting to run out of braking.

The metro 4 pots have been put in the hold area anyway they get used on something else.

Our brake man at work reckons he can build me some shoes that will perform a lot better then of shelf ones, so I'm sticking with drums and I'd never put 13's on a mini either.

As far as the hydro goes it all depends on the condition of it as rebuilding these isn't exactly cheap, but with the modding the suframes to take cones and then replacing other bits to convert it to a dry setup the costs will be close.

some things are confirmed it will stay tweed grey with a white roof it will have a red interior and it won't have arches

Sounds like your metro calipers have the same shelf duty as mine then . Mine where on a whim buy when I was considering going down the path of vtec. However, they are heavy items and I'd rather go down the wilwood / vented disc combo if in need of monster brakes.

Have driven race 850 mini7's with drum set ups and they can stop quite well when done properly. The harder linings will take a bit more initial pedal pressure before they bite , but are less prone to fading compared to stock.

Like the combo your doing. Should look good slightly lowered on hilos. Would like to see pics as you progess.

This isn't the same neat original Mini ya had a Trademe a while back I'm taking it.................

Yeah it is the front end exterior panels are back to bare metal just contemplating the best way to remove the front wings

My metro calipers cost me a massive $50 so I thought hey why notpost-17370-0-46742500-1392510765_thumb.j

post-17370-0-06127000-1392510790_thumb.j

Edited by Mr2low

15 mm drill bit through the wing on each of the spot welds should do the trick. Then a quick cleanup of what sits below.

Good project there. Like the mini deluxe hudcaps / rear windows. It's amazing how well the old seats / door cards can clean up.

She's a 69 super deluxepost-17370-0-52778400-1392514802_thumb.j and some of the interior is like new which is handy

Edited by Mr2low
  • Like 1

Suspect there are less mk2 deluxe models around than coopers. Going to appreciate well.

That's mint inside .

half cages need a LVV cert.

they may require some padding around the head area depending on how close the seats get to the top bars.

the main loop can not be cut, it needs to be a single bar. there may be some exceptions but you will need to weld a smaller diameter tube within the main and have that certified.

you can drive legally a fully caged car on the road including harnesses etc, however, you will need a motorsport licence and keep it up to date.

you will have to remove the rear seats, including seatbelts so that no one can essentially ever sit back there. if you're thinking of running harnesses - good to get a harness bar put in as well .. again check the LVV cert rules. the harness needs to be within a certain angle range from the seat to the mounting points.

You do not need a cert. authority card will cover it. Look on the Motorsport website for exact rules

You do not need a cert. authority card will cover it. Look on the Motorsport website for exact rules

do you mean for the full cage or half?

Authority Card is a version of a cert to cover a limited number of Motorsport items only - cages, seats, harnesses, etc.

Can cover full or half cage on a Auth Card, but it will need to be homologated by MSNZ. You will also need to run a log book and get it stamped at 2 events per year to keep it current.

Its been a while now, but i was told if its a 2 door car, with the back seat permanantly removed, and none of the cage is forward of the B pillar, it doesn't need a cert. Harnesses, however, need an authority card.

Like i say, going back a few years, and i know some of the rules have changed ( main hoop tube size etc).

Its been a while now, but i was told if its a 2 door car, with the back seat permanantly removed, and none of the cage is forward of the B pillar, it doesn't need a cert. Harnesses, however, need an authority card.

Like i say, going back a few years, and i know some of the rules have changed ( main hoop tube size etc).

There are guidelines to bar diameter and wall thickness along with some materials requirements but all proper cage builders should be aware of the rules. If you're planning to build it yourself, you might want to double check and also look up the criteria about the weld standards.

As far as the b pillar issue goes there is also a requirement for foam padding depending on the proximity of your head to the main hoop etc. If its close then you will need padding but its no big deal

nope, it will need a cert at the point of removal of the rear seats before you even start thinking about the cage.

nope, it will need a cert at the point of removal of the rear seats before you even start thinking about the cage.

I removed the rear seats from my City turbo and the only issue was that it had to be changed in the rego to a 2 seater, the guy at vtnz did it for me while he was doing the warrant, probably quite different for a 4 door car though.

abit off topic but cars like GT3 which comes with cages factory do they need to be cert'ed?

abit off topic but cars like GT3 which comes with cages factory do they need to be cert'ed?

not if it was produced like that, just like cars with factory airbag suspension eg Mercs etc even Ssangyongs, or Hydraulics on Citröens etc.

but if it was retrofitted once in NZ then yes

Hmmm I rather miss the half cage I had in my E36 4 years ago

attachicon.gifP1040486.jpeg

Just pray you never have to replace your high stop light! :)
  • Like 1

Just pray you never have to replace your high stop light! :)

well, funny you say that it actually fell off the window one day when the cage was still in, It took a while before I could be bother climbing in to remount it haha.