Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Opinions E39...

Good luck. Hope it's not a wallet-killer.

Edited by jeffbebe

Yea the interior electric issues make me hopeful its not mechanical. Hope for a battery. Water cooled alternators are expensive.

Took some quick photo's before sending her off..

Extremely excellent condition for the age, can't really get much better.
Pity about this now, might see her up for sale sooner than I hope as just don't have the spare cash lying around to put into. Last BMW costs me $2500 in repairs before she was happy to run sane... But I was prepared to pay that, not really sure this time around!

Maybe it's my darn luck with cars!

post-32854-0-27494100-1392679039.jpg

post-32854-0-35734900-1392679049.jpg

post-32854-0-99753300-1392679056.jpg

post-32854-0-69369000-1392679065.jpg

Could be battery if the electrics are failing - or some other fault. Did you see any warning lights on the dash before the OBC died? I think you need to get it scanned as soon as possible.

My car operated like this when it went into engine failsafe following a tune and adaption reset. Did you get it scanned/checked out before purchase? If you did and they also reset the adaptions it may just be that... Try unhooking the battery for a while and reconnecting before starting.

No warning lights etc came on this morning when she started up.

It was only after she had been driven for a while and was warm that she couldn't restart without stalling after 3 secs.

Hoping not a major :wacko:

End of the day you really $ set aside for most repairs before you buy, even more so when you don't do your own spannering.

I'm heading up tonight to Hellbm for other reasons tonight. Will take a look with Ray if I get a spare moment.

I reckon it's the pcv mine did the exact same when the pcv shat itself on the back of intake manifold u can change it without removing the intake manifold I tried but was way easier having it off if recommend swapping the torx bolts out for hex bolts too

Edited by Mr2low

I reckon it's the pcv mine did the exact same when the pcv shat itself on the back of intake manifold u can change it without removing the intake manifold I tried but was way easier having it off if recommend swapping the torx bolts out for hex bolts too

Cheers - going to require some man power on that one then.

Benefits of being a female into Bmw's - None..

Cheers - going to require some man power on that one then.

Benefits of being a female into Bmw's - None..

number of responses since posting this topic = 59

• Like 2

number of responses since posting this topic = 59

Haha! Thanks for the laugh.

Blaming the fact I grew up with E30s coming out of every corner of the house..

:) just pointing out the obvious.

Could be pcv. Mine didnt let go till it sat for two weeks while i did the cooling. If its been sitting whilst they sold it. It could be.

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Have a serious look at a 530 D , forget the V8's they don't make as much torque as the diesels

The diesel will use much less fuel than the V8 petrol particularly when towing.

The fact that you are towing a 1200kg load has a big influence on it- you need torque (not power)

The V8 will suck fuel on your daily drive, cost you more in maintenance and then drink like a dehydrated Blue whale when you are towing- it's just a loser all round.

The diesel will do about 8-10 l/100 on your daily drive and around 10-12 when towing - and my experience with the diesel has been maintenance is a lot less than what I hear people spending on their V8's

And If you like them - find a Manual, better fuel economy over the auto and better for towing - just the best all round

Bit late on that one

the price difference is going to be a fair gap also

Also abit late on that one. Its already at hell bm

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Bugger on the bit late parts..

But Yeah at HellBm, and so far doesn't look to be a major (note the so far part).
Ray's been excellent (again big ups for the fantastic service!) and completely trust his 'what to do', so that's exactly what I will be following..

Going to try replacing Cam Sensor and then see where that will take us :)

so he thinks it's just a cam sensor? that's easily sorted.

so he thinks it's just a cam sensor? that's easily sorted.

When it was scanned, came up with loads and loads of fault codes (I tend to have a thing buying duds :/)

But once cleared, just came back with Cam Sensor.. apparently the fuel pump and the sensor are correlated in a way that can then also affect the computer.

So Cam Sensor, see how that goes, and then Fuel Pump, see how that goes. Hopefully that will do the trick, but if not we will see what else can be done :)

And for the brown crap in engine bay, looks to be from the Cruise Control.

if the car's OBC hasn't had the fault codes cleared recently having loads & loads don't really indicate loads & loads of problems.

Mine had heaps too.

It's when you clear them, what comes back. That's a reoccurring problem that need to be addressed.

Fingers crossed it's an easy sort for ya.

• Like 1

Yeah never had issues like this so a bit new to me, both the 7s were generally easy to tell when an issue came up, as it was all mechanical/suspension.

Will see how it goes, but yeah thanks guys, fingers crossed she will pipe up and work well after the minor adjustments.. Cant wait to have her running decent enough for me to take her for a blast (haha)

At least with the model of 540i you got (pre m62tu), you don't have vanos issues or a water-cooled alternator to worry about. The earlier 540i's are definitely more peppy up top than the sep 98' onwards ones.

• Like 1

Yeah I had the M62B44 in the 740iL and that was all fine and well and I could live with that, hence looking for the same engine in the E39, which of course was easy, lots of them on the market.

Will see how she treats me from here...