Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Buying a car to keep for a LONG time

That's half the point - I'm not talking about a dream car. Just one that you'll enjoy, and always be happy to drive.

sorry for being wrong? =/

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

sorry for being wrong? =/

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Don't be sorry!

I just find my dreams change a little too often for a dream car to be considered. Unless it's a Ford GT40, perhaps. :D

Talk to james.. he wants one.

to answer the topic ..I've got mine already. tech1 + 5lug + nz m325i + s50b32 + suspension + bbk + wheels n sh*t.

I think you might have mine, too. ;)

From the PM's there are a few people after one. Some kid stopped me in the car park at Albany mall the other day to see if I would sell it.

I hope you told them all to stuff off as I have first dibs on it, right mate?? ;-)

Haha. Will see how the tidy up goes. Bet I will convince myself to keep it. Then comes the hard part. Can I convince the Mrs.

In the mean time I will be driving a Daihatsu Rocky while she drives the E60.

I'm trying to keep the purchase budget reasonable, so certainly sub-$10k. The RS4 won't fit in hat category, although an S2 or S4 might. I'd expect eventual running costs to be a bit 'interesting', though.

An older Mercedes would fit the bill, but there are far fewer of them over here (it seems) than there are older BMWs. Parts availability...

Older Aussie Holdens and Fords just don't interest me, and a Mustang is way out of budget.

looking at your current cars, surely the obv choice is a 2.3-16?

there's a 280SL going for 5k plus.... it is basically a hard top cabriolet with a nonfunctioning soft top

That 280 is the M110 engine - great piece of work. Love it. With most of 2 weeks still to go I'd expect to see it easily top $12k.

looking at your current cars, surely the obv choice is a 2.3-16?

Had a 2.5-16 when in the UK. Nice car... But I prefer the 6-cylinder lump. It ought to be a 2.6, but mine has been changed... And may become a 3.4 in due course, if I keep it that long. I've had a strong of other Mercedes too, and there are several that may make a happier long-term proposition than the W201. A W114 coupe, for instance... Too much money. A W111 coupe would be perfect, but that's much too much money!

(I like 2-door cars. :) )

How about the original Audi RS4 wagon? That thing is so sweet but I have no idea if they're a mechanical or electrical nightmare.

I don't think the B5 was much good at doing anything except going really fast in a straight line. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

+1 on the RS2 though - those sneaky Porsche bits are awesome.