Sign in to follow this  
marquis

E30, E36, E46 Rear Strut Tower Reinforcement Group Buy

Greetings Bimmersport readers!

First big post on here guys so bear with me. And Admin please move if I have incorrectly started post in the wrong area.

I'm interested to see how big the market is for strut top reinforcement plates.

As I have read, they are a flaw, Achilles Heel, a weakness to the design in E30, E36, and E46.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee230/scorpian54/RSM/car001.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwKPIQo8M3dUYEykhtbpOcn7qY4Wz1J-Z848pW6QdRZD-yx-MlvA

As a preventative for those who are interested, I'm looking to potentially do a group buy to keep costs down.

I've spoken to an engineering firm and they are more than happy to whip up a decent deal.

In terms of design, it will be along the lines of what AKG and TurnersMotorsprort.

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog/view.php?image=images/RSRK3036lg.jpg

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3440-e36-e46-rear-shock-tower-mount-reinforcement-kit.aspx

Being locally made, I'm hoping to save everyone a buck or two especially on shipping from the states.

If there is enough interest generated, I will speak to the firm in coming up with a prototype and we shall go from there.

Marcus

From memory, the OEM ones are about $150, which is a lot for a bit of stamped out steel plate.

• Like 1

didn't realize this was a problem on NZ cars
I could quickly draw up a cad file if you'd like to get them profile cut

yep 100% agree with Ron.

only break if you try and run a strut type coilover or as he said shocks bottoming out repeatedly such as lowered/cut/no springs with standard shocks still in. none of those chassis designed to hold any weight there anyways.

if you want to do suspension mods, much better ways to spend your money on all three chassis identified.

Dont these cars have issues with cracking somewhere else around the rear subframe?. Would be better fixing them?

Dont these cars have issues with cracking somewhere else around the rear subframe?. Would be better fixing them?

never heard of it in an E30, but its an E46 problem on the big power/thrashed ones. not sure about E36??

From memory, the OEM ones are about $150, which is a lot for a bit of stamped out steel plate.

I wasn't aware there were available factory. I have spoken to TeamMcMillian and they ended up ordering the actual replacement piece rather than a reinforcement.

didn't realize this was a problem on NZ cars

I could quickly draw up a cad file if you'd like to get them profile cut

A CAD drawing would be awesome. Was talking to the engineering firm to laser cut them. Also discussed how stainless will be more effective in terms of straight bolt on.

First of all it's not a strut tower as BMW's don't have struts in the rear,

Secondly there is NOT an inherent design flaw in the e30, E36 and e46 rear shock mount ,

Thirdly the image shows corrosion damage / failure ?? , which is not common on well maintained E30, E36 and E46.

Please refrain from developing or perpetuating myths.

There are reinforcement kits available for those who want to race or otherwise use there cars in a manner not directly intended by the manufacturer- you could look at these rather than have some one re-invent what has already been done and done well.

You may have taken it the wrong way. A wrong choice of words may have been used. However there is still the chance that it may happen.

As I pointed out, purpose is to judge the interest and have the input from the community.

yep 100% agree with Ron.

only break if you try and run a strut type coilover or as he said shocks bottoming out repeatedly such as lowered/cut/no springs with standard shocks still in. none of those chassis designed to hold any weight there anyways.

if you want to do suspension mods, much better ways to spend your money on all three chassis identified.

How would you go about this if one were to go strut type coil overs in the rear.

Watch out for dissimilar metals and galvanic attack if you're planning on straight bolting some stainless to chassis steel! Have a quick read on wiki, its pretty interesting. Very applicable if you're planning in putting it somewhere not immediately visible and for a relatively long period of time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

A gasket would solve that. The e36 and e46 rear subframe mounting points are a bigger concern. Have a look at my build thread to see how bad it can get

How would you go about this if one were to go strut type coil overs in the rear.

on E30 its really not worth it. at a minimum you will need to reenforce the tops with the bit you are selling, run a rear strut brace, and probably still do a bit more reenforcemnet around the tower part. you will also need to have a look at the bottom of the strut/shock, i wouldnt feel safe with that one bolt holding all the weight and control of my car, so you will need to come up with some solution there probably.

Not quite as familiar with the E36/E46 setups, but wouldnt imagine it will be any easier.

I wasn't aware there were available factory. I have spoken to TeamMcMillian and they ended up ordering the actual replacement piece rather than a reinforcement.

They are standard on the Z3

First of all it's not a strut tower as BMW's don't have struts in the rear,

Secondly there is NOT an inherent design flaw in the e30, E36 and e46 rear shock mount ,

Thirdly the image shows corrosion damage / failure ?? , which is not common on well maintained E30, E36 and E46.

Please refrain from developing or perpetuating myths.

There are reinforcement kits available for those who want to race or otherwise use there cars in a manner not directly intended by the manufacturer- you could look at these rather than have some one re-invent what has already been done and done well.

Wow, someones having a bad day.

I dont think Marcus is trying to f**k anyone over or perpetuate myths ? anyone running adjustable suspension ( e36 as i have no proof it happens on other models ) should probably look into these, This sh*t happens. If you arent a good as dude and slammed, dont worry about it. If you are then show interest. THAT IS ALL HE WAS LOOKING FOR.

Fanks,

Side note. To all you very well educated BMW chaps, Relax, We appreciate every piece of information you share on this forum and Its perfectly normal to know more than other people but you dont need to try make them feel like ants under the weight of your supreme automotive knowledge, its not cool and makes any informative post you made earlier invalid due to noone wanting to learn from a c**t.. xo

I assume you mean, some or those particular, BMW's don't use struts in the rear Ron... :P

Well a lot do use struts actually, but i assume you mean 3 series only.

But in any case, thats exactly his point. the weight isnt supported there, so if the car has proper suspension in there, there is no reason for them to break.

By proper, i dont mean im anti lowered suspension. Lowering a car isnt just about the springs, you need to match the shocks, and stock shocks on lowered springs will bottom out and break this part.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_