Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Convertible with the rare side mounted badge option

looks to be a fairly good example

There seem to have been a few 'verts change hands recently. A couple of scruffy ones sold for under $3k, but some people seem to be asking big money for tidy ones.

Was listed not long ago on TM. Seems to be a bit of a bits and pieces car. Tech II kit and smileys but prefacelift taillights.

Hold onto your phone. This was the one on sale for a while, I was watching this closely while at its previous owner.

Now I'm a little torn morally so I'll try to be as objective as possible. I saw this car at Ernst's and recognised it from a hundred metres away where I managed to actually find a park (lol). When I got close I confirmed it had the same features I saw online.

Talked to Ernst for a bit and asked about it. I didn't see exactly what was on the list but Ernst said there was a fair bit of work, there were 9-10 line items I saw from 3 metres away on the future work part of the job sheet.

The exterior looked a little rough too. Its still a cool car, but I would urge my fellow members (I'm sure we all would get it checked properly anyway) extra hard to get it checked and then decide.

Lol I know it had to get towed in like mine due to fuel pump as well!

PS the previous seller listed it at 8k. No idea how much it sold for.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

When I saw it again I made the biggest "ohhh I see what you're doing" face when I saw there were no detailed pictures. The seal on the lid for the roof compartment is shrunk and gone, so there's some rust in there. I didn't see inside the actual car, but it had the exact same missing seal section as I saw on the net.

• Like 1

Hating on those badges and headlights. More than I feel I should.

When I saw it again I made the biggest "ohhh I see what you're doing" face when I saw there were no detailed pictures. The seal on the lid for the roof compartment is shrunk and gone, so there's some rust in there. I didn't see inside the actual car, but it had the exact same missing seal section as I saw on the net.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was meaning the 325i badges in the skirts.

I was told that the E30 vert was rated one of 5 collectible cars by Bmw, I'm a bit mystified by some of the low prices. Old, but not old enough?

Yeah I was a bit scared when I saw a cirrus cab for 2.5k asking price. Had weaves and a 2.5 engine to boot! But they're worth what people will pay really. I don't really see it being any sort of investment car. Returns, if any, would be pretty terrible compared to other investment methods.

It's more of a "sink slightly less money" car. I've already spent quite a bit of money replacing heaps if parts in mine. As far as I see it as time goes on with these new parts my car will be relatively more reliable than another generation which would be needing replacements soon. So by buying now and fixing up over time, it's a better option than buying a much more expensive car from the get go, having it depreciate a bit and then sell before needing repairs. As time goes on it should gain some intrinsic value by being a refurb'ed car with a lot more km's still to go than a newer one needing work.

This theory goes straight out the door as soon as you even consider selling however. As you get none of the invested returns and sell at a (usually) big loss.

This theory goes straight out the door as soon as you even consider selling however. As you get none of the invested returns and sell at a (usually) big loss.

I agree, but why sell? There is nothing more fun and nicer to own and drive than an e30 ;)

Just keep chipping away to make it nice and in years to come it will be a desirable timeless classic, especially the verts.

Yeah, I remember this being up for sale last time, purely because of the weird 325i badges on the skirts.

Could be worse though, it could have caught the "M-Badge disease" like so many other cars on TradeMe.

That is the best colour for an E30 ever though