Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Heatpumps..

I'm sure this has been bought up before here but we're looking at having our heatpump replaced. It's a huge Panasonic and about 6-7 years old and starting to get a bit noisy. That and I've never really been happy with it. We were suggested a certain Panasonic heatpump at the time of installation but we went one above that, but as above we've never really been happy with it. We're on a 160sqm house & directly across the opposite wall of the heatpump we have a heat transfer system.

Anyone in the know here of what to go for next? We've been told Daikin several times and have a local firm coming up today to quote us on a replacement unit.

Cheers.

Mitsubishis are really silent. I like them too. we have a 12 year old model in our office and man it is rock solid. it is worth getting the combined heatpump/aircon optimised for your large room area.

Edited by The Juggernaut

My panasonic at work takes a very long time to get going anf has needed alot of repairs in the first year despite being used occasionally.

My daiken at home is quite good. Got noisy at 7 year mark due to lack of maintanance. Whole new motor and fan assembly plus install and general service from local agent cost under 300.

Have a 8kw Mitsubishi in a 4 year old house, The pump failed just after we bought the house 18 months ago.

They replaced the whole unit within days, no questions asked, no cost on full 5 year warrantee.

They get my vote just on the no questions asked and no troubvle to fix the break down.

Its quiet too!

Pertinent thread as we are about to have a 1/2 or full house system installed. Mitsi seems to be a front runner.

As long as you stick with one of the top 5 brands, (Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, Toshiba, Daikin) they are all basically the same in terms of performance, reliability, out put, efficiency, noise level etc.

You need to be looking at a complete heating and air exchange system. New Zealand is years behind in this field and for the most part the systems offered only do part of the job required. They warm the house which is great but by doing so they allow more moisture to be carried by the warm air. When this heating is turned off or down the moisture laden air condensates on the coolest surface. This moisture ladened air now needs to be removed from the house with out loosing all the energy used to warm it this is the most important and expensive part of the exercise. Look over seas at the type of systems they have and what they do to keep their houses warm and moisture free.

I have a fireplace thats supposedly measured to put out 16kw of heat. Runs best on pine to begin with and tee-tree for heat sustain. 3 cubic metres of said wood, and an annual chimney clean is as far as it goes for maintenance. Wouldn't replace with any heat pump :-P

The heatpump we're to get will only be used in the mornings and to take the chill off the air at night when we're in bed. In the dead of winter we rely on our multi-fuel Yunca fire which runs mostly on coal which punches out 22-26kw. I've just had Daiken up and have suggested a 8kw unit for around 3k There's also an 11kw unit which he rekons would be overkill (but I like overkill) for around the 5k mark which is designed for large office spaces e.t.c. Hmm. Wonder if I should get Mitsubishi up?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Get Mitsubishi in just to compare pricing. also, if you are interested in heat recovery, I suggest checking out these guys :http://www.smartvent.co.nz/smart-vent-systems ... They bring in a version of http://www.vent-axia.com/range/lo-carbon-sentinel-kinetic.html which is pretty good

Daikin is all you need to know if you want to get setious.... Their only fault is some of the aesthetics arent that flash. Mitsubishi Electric (not Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) would be my second choice & probably have some of the better looking units. Never had a good experience with Panasonic heat pumps.

i got a 8kw Mitsi in the lounge an 3kw panasonic in the bedroom.

i hate the panasonic in the room as its got all sort of lights going on and its quite bright!

i'm looking at going Mitsi again in a new build. However looking at a ducted system upstairs.

Have also had quote in for that smart vent unit and its about 10k!!

egads! that's highway robbery! but it really comes into its own in a well insulated home.

oh looky http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vent-Axia-Sentinel-KInetic-BH-/171287442631?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item27e186f4c7 an older unit ex-uk. plus shipping and some ducting, I think you could get a HR system relatively cheap

Edited by The Juggernaut

We have a 8kw Mitsubishi heatpump but it does not compare to our old 8kw Daikin one we had in our old house, it's a bit quieter but the heat even at 31 only takes the chill out of the air, i'll definitely be going to Daikin when this one dies.

Get Mitsubishi in just to compare pricing. also, if you are interested in heat recovery, I suggest checking out these guys :http://www.smartvent.co.nz/smart-vent-systems ... They bring in a version of http://www.vent-axia.com/range/lo-carbon-sentinel-kinetic.html which is pretty good

Already have a heat tranny system. Can't see myself changing it.This shifts the heat quite well. In the dead of winter the fire keeps the whole house at at least 20 degrees, and at least 25 in the lounge and we are above the snowline in dunedin.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Another happy Daikin user here. I have a ducted system and live in Taupo. It was expensive but it really delivers even when it is cold.

I've had 3 Mitsubishi and 1 Fujitsu so far, Fujitsu is noticeably nosier but perfectly acceptable. Besides that, no problem to speak of.

I put a Panasonic in a place i did up to sell, ended up living in it for a few years, never had a problem with it itself, though sometimes the logic didnt work quite the way you would expect. But it was the best bang for buck at the level i needed, and would definately have one again.

my mum has had a Toshiba for absolute AGES.

Apparently the floor mounted model s are better than the high wall models which everone seems to go for (because they are so easy to install)