Sign in to follow this  
Blackfrogg

M52 exhaust manifold

Gold and the grounded up bones of Gingers. Thats why it makes your car run faster.

I have one. its made of plastic. if you are wondering if you can install it on a 318i then no, it only swappable between the m50 and m52. and swapping them out is not a favorable mod here, but I am going to try it anyway since I bought the kit.

lol i gaurentee exhaust manifolds arent plastic on any car ever produced.

i think they are cast steel??

Mine are just standard steel pipe. Definitely not cast.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Stainless or na?

definately not stainless, have seen rust on them

Sweeeet easy welding. Thanks for the info

Shouldnt make any difference to the welding, unless you were going to gas weld them?

It will make a difference. An exhaust manifold is I highly stressed environment with high temps and vibration. Using the wrong welding wire will lead to cracks. Not purging stainless exhausts is also undesirable.

I'm fairly sure 3pedals is right

Yes they are tubular stainless. Fully weldable with the right technique.

It will make a difference. An exhaust manifold is I highly stressed environment with high temps and vibration. Using the wrong welding wire will lead to cracks. Not purging stainless exhausts is also undesirable.

I'm fairly sure 3pedals is right

Youre right, what i meant was it wont be any easier or harder to weld, if hes going to tig or mig them the only change is the wire and gas mix!

Mig welding stainless is very difficult(in my opinion) unless you've got a mig worth more then $10k. Especially butt welding tube. I'm sure you can probably get a weld that seals using your general mig. But I'll bet you wouldn't be proud of what you've done

If you've got the gear to purge it and your tig welding you'll have a good time

If it's ok to poo it up, poo it up

what kind of modifications are you doingto your stock manifold? I was originally thinking to replace mine but I'd rather keep them stock. does your modification make any difference then maybe some of us could get it done the same way.

lol i gaurentee exhaust manifolds arent plastic on any car ever produced.

i think they are cast steel??

sorry, I jumped the shark and read m52 + manifold and forgot to read exhaust. I thought he was talking about intake, then when I read it again I deleted my post :unsure::wub: mine look like they are cast, not ss.

Mig welding stainless is very difficult(in my opinion) unless you've got a mig worth more then $10k. Especially butt welding tube. I'm sure you can probably get a weld that seals using your general mig. But I'll bet you wouldn't be proud of what you've done

If you've got the gear to purge it and your tig welding you'll have a good time

If it's ok to poo it up, poo it up

I've had reasonable results with a very average MIG. Hardly pretty but seemingly good 'n' strong.

Exhaust grade stainless does get some rust on. I can weld weld it, and I can't weld to save myself! Fancy/shiney stainless is harder, but it's too brittle for a long lasting exhaust.

Dad's E30 exhaust is still it's original stainless system = has light rust marks here and there, but solid as a rock. Pretty impressive for a 24 year old car - not too many jappas out there with their original aluminised steel ones left.

i welded mine ok. Not a pro or anything. My welds look OK, but lining it all up was a pain.

i welded mine ok. Not a pro or anything. My welds look OK, but lining it all up was a pain.

When you welded them did you have to squash the pipe into a oval type shape to better fit the flange or did you just weld it straight on?

When you welded them did you have to squash the pipe into a oval type shape to better fit the flange or did you just weld it straight on?

I cut them so the section was a tad bigger than the oval cut out in the flange. Used a die grinder to chamfer the edges. Then butt welded (tig'd) them on.

I cut them so the section was a tad bigger than the oval cut out in the flange. Used a die grinder to chamfer the edges. Then butt welded (tig'd) them on.

long shot but i dont suppose you have any pictures?

You can see from this picture (yes i cut it on the piss lol) but also how far back i cut them to clear the steering shaft. i put it on a large belt sander at work and worked it flat.

DSC01555.jpg

i used a die grinder on the inside edges to remove the burrs. And chamfer the outside edges. (not in pic)

DSC01547.jpg

i also used the die grinder on the flange (inside the ports) to open things up a bit.

The tubular pipe looks circular but it was still much bigger than the flange ports. Hope this helps.