Sign in to follow this  
lord_jagganath

914 again

Don't get the BMW link?

914 is the precursor to the boxster , always had a soft spot for them because they handled better than the 911 of the day - just didn't have enought poke , same mistake porsche made with the boxster initially

this was in thier dark darks when they were still very much in bed with and reliant on VW, and really no more than a rebadged VW

Dead right..in fact there was one from Nelson or Blenheim on trademe last year that had a `VW-PORSCHE` rear badge. I think they were marketed that way in Europe. They`re a popular car in the States, but onlywith the 6 cylinder engine. They are rare in this country I guess.....

The bodies were initially done by a design house as a car study for BMW and powered by BMW engines and was shown to auto companies around europe when BMW rejected it. but the story seems to have changed over the years to include Lamborghini and Fiat (note the similarity of this to Fiat's X1/9)

The bodies were initially done by a design house as a car study for BMW and powered by BMW engines and was shown to auto companies around europe when BMW rejected it. but the story seems to have changed over the years to include Lamborghini and Fiat (note the similarity of this to Fiat's X1/9)

I have never heard of this, cant find anything on google, and both a Porsche reference book i have here and Wikipedia tells a completely different story with not a single mention of BMW

• Like 1

As I understand it, the 924 (Audi) and the 914( VW ) almost destoyed Porsche`s credibilty. Then they came up with the 944. which at least, surprisingly, was a Porsche. Cue applause all round...

... they came up with the 944. which at least, surprisingly, was a Porsche. Cue applause all round...

there are parts on a 944 I can bolt onto Beetles, Golfs, etc ... it's only just barely Porsche.

Actually... I have a 944S steering wheel on my 84 VW bus :lol:

The 914 uses the same "Type 4" engine originally used in the 411 and 412 VW's. and then made it's way into the Busses (Kombis) in the 70's, in 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 sizes. The 914 has a touch more power though... especially if you opted for the 6 cylinder version B) . My understanding was it was a "joint" venture between VW and Porsche.

My understanding was it was a "joint" venture between VW and Porsche.

Ah, they were sitting around sharing a joint and someone said " hey guys, check out zis awesome car i haff just dezigned!" :)

Bolting BMW calipers on to a 914 is a common brake upgrade... Slightly tenuous, but I suppose it is a link!

Ah, they were sitting around sharing a joint and someone said " hey guys, check out zis awesome car i haff just dezigned!" :)

That's practically what I said :P

Bolting BMW calipers on to a 914 is a common brake upgrade... Slightly tenuous, but I suppose it is a link!

I'm putting E23 Calipers on my VW Bus, with Mercedes S class rotors B)