Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Cheap E39 M5

Yep... It definitely wasn't vanos noise. I know what that sounds like! Deeper thumping that was loudest under the car... As Martin pointed out - probably connecting rod bearings and probably expensive to repair.

run. run like your life depends on it.

Edited by M5V8

Me likey that....

• Like 1

Rod bearings is actually not too hard, there is just a subframe, upper and lower oil pans in the way. Labour would be costly though...

Be easy job if it was that, unless crank is scored then throw it away.

Im unconvinced there is a such thing as a true "cheap" E39 M5.... They arent exactly known for tolerating neglect too well.

Neglect no, abuse oh yes.

What car is?

Your average jappa

SIPS needs to be called. That M5 has been neglected.

When I looked at it I mentioned to the owner that the con rod bearings appeared to be failing. I dropped him a note yesterday as I saw it still hadn't sold and he said 'Beat my time to Ahipara. Thrashed it. Con rods seem fine to me.'

Guessing it's been thrashed more than once. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Think you'll be hard pressed to find a warranty that will provide enough cover on a 14 year old car to replace an S62 if you throw a rod bearing.

• Like 2

Think you'll be hard pressed to find a warranty that will provide enough cover on a 14 year old car to replace an S62 if you throw a rod bearing.

+1

• Like 1

I offered $15K and he told me where to stick it. haha

• Like 1

Did he say to stick it out the side like the leg out of bed?

Hey!!, your importing & supercharging my **ahelm**............ "your" 8 series aren't you?

Hopefully, Darren... But wouldn't it be nice with an S62 in it?!!

• Like 1

hells yeah.

As above, any genuine M car is going to get thrashed, they were built to be abused.

Mine gets thrashed at every chance I get be it track or back country roads, both I and the car love it.

Edited by Greg.

Don't think that will happen though... Have been running through all the possible computations with friends and family alike (i.e. should I import the Estoril one I like, should I import the cheap non-msport high kms manual E31 I've found, should I buy James' 850 and convert/twin turbo/supercharge, and so on...) but I keep coming back to the Estoril one. Unfortunately, it's right at the top end of my budget and I may even have to sell the supercharger to get it here (though I'm hoping not). Watch this space... (actually not this one because it's the wrong thread I've hijacked, though at least I was the OP).

• Like 1

As above, any genuine M car is going to get thrashed, they were built to be abused.

Mine gets thrashed at every chance I get be it track or back country roads, both I and the car love it.

But I bet you don't thrash it from cold with the wrong oil in it.

• Like 1

Don't think that will happen though... Have been running through all the possible computations with friends and family alike (i.e. should I import the Estoril one I like, should I import the cheap non-msport high kms manual E31 I've found, should I buy James' 850 and convert/twin turbo/supercharge, and so on...) but I keep coming back to the Estoril one. Unfortunately, it's right at the top end of my budget and I may even have to sell the supercharger to get it here (though I'm hoping not). Watch this space... (actually not this one because it's the wrong thread I've hijacked, though at least I was the OP).

Buy the best example you can. ie Estoril blue one. Comply drive & enjoy it.

Once your bank balance recovers then look at more power.

better than a cheap example that sits in your shed for years gathering dust as you work through a plethora of issues trying to locate the rare parts needed to get to how your want it.

• Like 1

I came to the same conclusion. It's getting full inspection this weekend and hopefully my brother will pick up in the next couple of weeks (as soon as the 540 sells).